Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you upgraded to Windows 7 yet?
Yes, I upgraded from XP to 7. 16 16.67%
Yes, I upgraded from Vista to 7. 15 15.63%
No, but I plan on upgrading eventually. 27 28.13%
No, and I don't plan on upgrading. 29 30.21%
I don't use Windows. 9 9.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:20 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,805,788 times

Advertisements

I haven't upgraded because I've had really no major problems with Vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

W7 did not have a network driver for my mobo - but otherwise the only drivers that are an issue is HP inkjet printers. I think HP is getting worse and worse with their drivers even if the printers are good.
When installing your printer on the printer selection window click the "Windows Update" below the selection boxes. You will then find drivers for all of the old HP printers, going back to some of the first inkjets HP sold.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Alright, so I got my new i7 machine up and running. It is ridiculously fast, all I need now is an Intel SSD.

As far as Windows 7 goes, I am not happy with it right now. Windows 7 does NOT play well with WPA or WPA-2. With no wireless encryption, Windows 7 works fine.

With WPA or WPA-2 enabled on the router, Windows 7 won't connect, although every other PC in the house will. You can find tons of people on support forums with the same problem, and no fix yet from MSFT.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,031,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Alright, so I got my new i7 machine up and running. It is ridiculously fast, all I need now is an Intel SSD.

As far as Windows 7 goes, I am not happy with it right now. Windows 7 does NOT play well with WPA or WPA-2. With no wireless encryption, Windows 7 works fine.

With WPA or WPA-2 enabled on the router, Windows 7 won't connect, although every other PC in the house will. You can find tons of people on support forums with the same problem, and no fix yet from MSFT.
As with many Windows issues it doesn't apply to everyone, thus making it harder to track down a cause and a fix. I have 2 laptops running Win 7, one 32 bit and one 64 bit, and both work fine with WPA.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,674,612 times
What's the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? I've got a two year old HP Media Center, with a 2.4(?) gig quad core, and a least 2 gig of ram. I was running Vista on it until a couple of months ago when it had some sort of error in reading the boot sector. A buddy of my brother in law's an alpha geek is fixing it for me, and said that I lost all of data (a lot of fan subbed anime, plus photos). I can see the boot drive going south, but why would my second drive die on me as well? It has two 320gig drives in it, and it can take that ejectable hard drive that HP makes, as well. If I had the money to spare (unemployed right now), I'd love to swap those two 320's out for two 2tb internal drives while the prices are low.

My brother in law is thinking about upgrading as well, but he doesn't wan't to have to whipe his drive first. It's been so long since I've done an OS upgrade personally, that I forget if you have to start from a clean drive. He does have an external drive that I've got him running on weekly automated backups.

One last middle of the night question. How does Firefox run on Windows 7?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,031,234 times
This is a Vista article but it's the same for 7.

A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista

Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 AM

69 posts, read 220,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
One last middle of the night question. How does Firefox run on Windows 7?
It works fine on my Win7 system. Didn't have any problems with the install or the functionality.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:19 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,674,612 times
Thanks for the 411, guys. If memory serves, both my dektop and laptop (a one year old HP, at the pawn shop.) are both 32 bit machines. Except when I visit my sister, such as now, I get online with my BlackBerry Curve Sunset, using the Bolt browser. Sigh...I miss my machines. :~(

Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

WRONG!, W7 plays very nicely with WPA2. Wireless connective is far superior to connecting to the same AP with the same laptops running XP. When power on and booting, or from sleep mode or hibernation, W7 reconnects almost immediately via WPA2 and many fold faster than with XP.

In fact wireless connectivity is one of the most noticeable performance improvements I noticed vs. XP's performance and reconnects.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,937,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
WRONG!, W7 plays very nicely with WPA2. Wireless connective is far superior to connecting to the same AP with the same laptops running XP. When power on and booting, or from sleep mode or hibernation, W7 reconnects almost immediately via WPA2 and many fold faster than with XP.

In fact wireless connectivity is one of the most noticeable performance improvements I noticed vs. XP's performance and reconnects.

Okay, now that is a feature I'm interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers