Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 05:47 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times

Advertisements

When I boot up my son's Dell Dimension with XP, a security program pops up and indicates the computer has something like 49 viruses and worms, etc., and wants us to pay $49.95 to repair. One of the warnings indicates theres a virus which wants to send his credit card information.

I can close out the program, but am left with a blue screen; can't access the internet. I can go to his files on the hard drive, but that's about it, and the security program keeps popping up.

So we went out and purchased Internet Security 2010 yesterday, hoping to be able to boot up and scan from the CD drive, and the NIS 2010 would not not boot up; apparently the virus/worm will not allow anything to boot from the CD drive.

I was able to get to the dos prompt by pushing the f12 key, and had NIS 2010 perform a scan, which found 1 virus and fixed it.

The computer was doing the same thing, so I had NIS2010 scan again, but nothing was found.

How do I get this fixed? Can I download a fix on my computer to a CD, and try to have it scan his? OR, do I have to wipe the HD clean and reload everything (if so, will that get rid of the viruses/worms, etc?

Help

Thank you,.....marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
When I boot up my son's Dell Dimension with XP, a security program pops up and indicates the computer has something like 49 viruses and worms, etc., and wants us to pay $49.95 to repair. One of the warnings indicates theres a virus which wants to send his credit card information.

I can close out the program, but am left with a blue screen; can't access the internet. I can go to his files on the hard drive, but that's about it, and the security program keeps popping up.

So we went out and purchased Internet Security 2010 yesterday, hoping to be able to boot up and scan from the CD drive, and the NIS 2010 would not not boot up; apparently the virus/worm will not allow anything to boot from the CD drive.

I was able to get to the dos prompt by pushing the f12 key, and had NIS 2010 perform a scan, which found 1 virus and fixed it.

The computer was doing the same thing, so I had NIS2010 scan again, but nothing was found.

How do I get this fixed? Can I download a fix on my computer to a CD, and try to have it scan his? OR, do I have to wipe the HD clean and reload everything (if so, will that get rid of the viruses/worms, etc?

Help

Thank you,.....marc

Thats a scam and you may be infected with malware. Do not send your credit card information.

I use a mac so I am not that familiar with booting from a CD. On a mac you have to hold the "C" key down in order for the system to boot from a CD or DVD.

When you have your problem fixed, turn off the pop up window on your browser, clear your cookies (and set them to accept only sites you visit) and clear your cache. Also delete your flash cache (Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Website Storage Settings panel)

Start using Firefox instead of explorer.

Make sure you update your virus definitions at least once a week.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
This sounds similar to the issue we discussed in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/compu...n-virus-i.html

The description sounds like an issue that can be solved using Malwarebytes. It may be difficult and take several tries, possibly including a run in Safe Mode, but I've used Malwarebytes to remove this infection several times.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 PM

52 posts, read 144,016 times
I would go to the add/remove program option in control panel and check(and remove) any suspicious looking programs. Also would un and re-install the browser.
If still does not work, then would reload XP after backing up the files.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Firstly you need to boot your computer in Safe Mode with Networking. To do this, boot the computer, and once the bios screen comes up, press the F8 key over and over and over about once a second. This should bring up a menu that lets you choose how to boot windows. Boot into Safe Mode with Networking, which should get you internet access. Download MalwareBytes and AVG anti-virus. Install them both. Run MalwareBytes Scan in Safe Mode. Then run AVG scan. Then reboot into regular Windows as normal and run them both again.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
re: Downloading and installing anti-malware stuff in safe mode, a lot of programs these days won't install or uninstall in safe mode as Windows Installer isn't running. I did find a program called SafeMSI that will enable Windows Installer in safe mode and no, its apparently not as easy as just starting the service manually. If anyone needs it and can't find it, PM me and I'll email you a link to a copy I have.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
I would go to the add/remove program option in control panel and check(and remove) any suspicious looking programs. Also would un and re-install the browser.
If still does not work, then would reload XP after backing up the files.
This issue is a LONG way from a recommendation to reload Windows. According to your recommendation, if it is not in Add/Remove Programs, the next step is to reinstall Windows.

I think there are a lot of things to try before going to such an extreme.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
..... How do I get this fixed? .....

Help

Thank you,.....marc
People have offered a number of suggestions. Have you tried any of them? Are you still having problems? Did any of these suggestions help? We don't know whether to continue offering suggestions or to let the thread go dormant.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 AM

228 posts, read 1,204,479 times
Try using MalwareBytes. It's a great little freeware app I use at work pretty often. I actually have an adapter that lets my turn the hard drive into an external drive through the USB. This prevents malware from being able to run when the PC starts up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers