U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:27 PM

24,010 posts, read 23,356,661 times

Advertisements

I have a MSI Netbook that Nero 7 Essential was pre-installed on. What's the trick to get it to burn a DVD?
Every time I send photo file to DVD for archival.. Nero jumps in with upgrade to Nero 9 for $79.99. Exclusive offer.
I just want a simple way to burn a DVD.. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,372,291 times
Uninstall the crapware that came installed on your system, then go here The Official ImgBurn Website to download Imgburn, a free program that does it all.

I do a great deal of burning on various media, data, photos, movies, etc. on everything except BlueRay and this program is the ONLY burning program I have installed.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Uninstall the crapware that came installed on your system, then go here The Official ImgBurn Website to download Imgburn, a free program that does it all.

I do a great deal of burning on various media, data, photos, movies, etc. on everything except BlueRay and this program is the ONLY burning program I have installed.
You said it!!! Thanks I'll check into that site...

Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Default HELP !! On DVD Burning

Now another problem... head banging kind? I have a Net Book MSI 10.2 screen.. I put Nero on the back burner pre loaded on the MSI. It wants to upgrade for $79.95 so I can do burning. So I downloaded a copy of IMGBURN that Asheville Native suggested . I have Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009. I hit select "ALL" copy .... it copies the 175 photo's... send to CD. No IMGBURM DVD.. No !! I have a Lite-On External DVD Burner.. just won't recognize it? I can't figure out how to send those copies of the image files to where ?? so the IMBURN will send them to the DVD Burner?? I must by now have a dozen duplicate files kicking around in the system some where? And how to delete the ones I don't want ??? I just want to archive the photos to DVD R+

Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM

40,822 posts, read 42,215,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I just want to archive the photos to DVD R+
Just a bit of advice, burnable DVD is not a reliable way to archive anything. Burnable media will fail, might never work, might fail tomorrow, might fail a year from now...might fail 10 years from now but it will fail.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Just a bit of advice, burnable DVD is not a reliable way to archive anything. Burnable media will fail, might never work, might fail tomorrow, might fail a year from now...might fail 10 years from now but it will fail.
The stability of the media will likely outlast the optical disk technology. In 10 years the disk may be fine, but you won't be able to buy a drive that can read it, technology changes, and changes fast.

I recently found some CD's I burned on my first burner (a blistering 1X drive) and out of curiosity looked to see what was on them. My DL DVD burner read them without problems though they were 10 - 12 years old.

And since you didn't offer an alternative, can we assume your suggestion is that the OP should just not bother with backup at all?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Now another problem... head banging kind? I have a Net Book MSI 10.2 screen.. I put Nero on the back burner pre loaded on the MSI. It wants to upgrade for $79.95 so I can do burning. So I downloaded a copy of IMGBURN that Asheville Native suggested . I have Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009. I hit select "ALL" copy .... it copies the 175 photo's... send to CD. No IMGBURM DVD.. No !! I have a Lite-On External DVD Burner.. just won't recognize it? I can't figure out how to send those copies of the image files to where ?? so the IMBURN will send them to the DVD Burner?? I must by now have a dozen duplicate files kicking around in the system some where? And how to delete the ones I don't want ??? I just want to archive the photos to DVD R+
Launch the program, click the "Write files/folders to disc"
Select the files you want to burn, or you can drag and drop them from explorer to the 'source' window.
Insert burnable media in the drive.
Select the drive in the 'Destination' drop down box.
When the drive/disc comes ready the icon at the bottom will be active, click on it to burn the disk.
While it is burning, you can check a 'verify' box and the program will compare the original with the copy.

Being an external drive should have no bearing, Imgburn recognizes both my internal and external burners.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,842,870 times
Quote:

I did! While the operation of the program has some quirks, the program is excellent. This is now my program of choice for burning.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 AM

40,822 posts, read 42,215,651 times
Quote:
The stability of the media will likely outlast the optical disk technology. In 10 years the disk may be fine, but you won't be able to buy a drive that can read it, technology changes, and changes fast.

I recently found some CD's I burned on my first burner (a blistering 1X drive) and out of curiosity looked to see what was on them. My DL DVD burner read them without problems though they were 10 - 12 years old.

And since you didn't offer an alternative, can we assume your suggestion is that the OP should just not bother with backup at all?
The stability is questionable and depends on many variables including the disc itself (who manufactured it), the burner, the firmware, the software you are using to burn it ,the speed at which you burn it or even the amount of data you try and put on the disc. For example discs are more likey to get corrupted at the end of a burn so you could for example burn a DVD movie to the whole disc and it will play fine until the end where it will be corrupted. Of course you can veryify burns but how many people do that?

The technology is much better that it was years ago but even as short as 3 or 4 years ago some of the cheapest discs had a failure rate of 50% out of the box. The quality of the disc itself is probably the primary reason for failures, there is only a few companies that manufacture them. Most are re-branded, that really expensive brand name disc could in fact be a lot worse than the no name brand sitting next to it. Back in the day it used to be funny because it would get out Best Buy or some other store would have some "cheap" discs that were actually some of the better ones on the market. They would all be gone the next day.

There's good site here that goes into detail: digitalFAQ.com | Blank DVD Media Quality Guide

The trouble is when someone says "archive" to me that means they are going to have single copy on one source and you're really putting data at risk particularly if you use DVD. You could burn 1000 discs and have only one failure in 5 years but that is too much. As far as backup suggestions a second hard drive as primary backup and DVD as third backup if you want. If you're using two hard drives even if they both fail at once you can always use an expensive recovery service. As long as the drive isn't physically damaged you can recover the data, that's not so with DVD. If it's corrupted it's gone. Move the data to the most reliable technology as it comes along.

Physical damage to a drive brings up another point, if you want to absolutely be safe the backup should be stored elsewhere such as at a relatives house in the case of fire or other calamity.

Lastly you bring up a good point about not being able to buy a DVD drive to read it in the future, a lot of people run into that issue but formats that have a large market should be available for a very long time. Since we have Blu-Ray I'd suspect you'll be able to buy drives for at least the next decade if not much longer.

I could point out one format that is in trouble, Hi-8 and D8 camcorder footage. Both of those formats came out when the technology was rapidly changing. They both use the same tape, Hi-8 came out to replace VHS and D8 was the first digital video prior to mini-DV. Both were short lived and the camcorders are no longer being produced.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM

28,673 posts, read 40,842,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Lastly you bring up a good point about not being able to buy a DVD drive to read it in the future, a lot of people run into that issue but formats that have a large market should be available for a very long time. Since we have Blu-Ray I'd suspect you'll be able to buy drives for at least the next decade if not much longer.
How many people can read from an MFM drive today? There's that 10 year span you speak of.

I agree with your ideas. I keep backup copies on:

My mirrored drives
An external drive
CD's
The servers that hold my business website using ftp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers