U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,406,536 times

Advertisements

This is probably a silly question to you, Computer Experts, but I am having doubts. Here it goes: Under Windows Firewall Settings, "General heading," I noticed that IE does not have a check under "Exceptions." Am I supposed to check it, so that it is allowed to go through my firewall?

The reason I checked on my settings is because IE8, which I updated about one month ago, on my Vista Home Premium, tells that my program ended suddenly, and asks me to close the program, so I do not know if the reason is that it is not checked through the "Exceptions," on my firewall settings?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,507,758 times
Firewall exceptions are for programs that need to act as servers. To my knowledge, IE doesn't need that. By default, all applications are allowed outbound access. The exceptions are for incoming connections.

In any event, the worse that the Windows firewall can do is prevent a program from accessing the network. It won't make the program crash. My guess is that you had some plugin, toolbar, etc in Internet Explorer before you upgraded and its not compatible with IE8, causing the crash. Go to Control Panel, Internet Properties, Advanced tab and hit the Reset button. That'll wipe out any 3rd party crap that might be causing trouble.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,406,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Firewall exceptions are for programs that need to act as servers. To my knowledge, IE doesn't need that. By default, all applications are allowed outbound access. The exceptions are for incoming connections.

In any event, the worse that the Windows firewall can do is prevent a program from accessing the network. It won't make the program crash. My guess is that you had some plugin, toolbar, etc in Internet Explorer before you upgraded and its not compatible with IE8, causing the crash. Go to Control Panel, Internet Properties, Advanced tab and hit the Reset button. That'll wipe out any 3rd party crap that might be causing trouble.
I followed your instructions, but when I went to the Advanced Tab and hit on the Reset Button, Windows came in and said that, if I do that, it will wipe out all my passwords, and a multitude of things, at the same time. So I did not do it, because they scared me.

Then, I looked under "Enable third party browser extensions," and there was a check sign on it, so I removed it before hitting the Reset Button, and then I returned back and click on my Homepage, and the Google bar, Msn Bar, my pop up blocker, were all gone, including my Yahoo bar. Yahoo is my H/P. I have Vista Home Premium. So I went back and replaced the check on the "Enable third party browser extensions," and everything returned back.

Is there another way to go that clicking on that "Reset Button?" Thank you,

Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,507,758 times
The reset button will erase your saved form data and web site password but you shouldn't be relying on your browser to remember that stuff for you anyway.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 AM

12,014 posts, read 11,458,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
..... and the Google bar, Msn Bar, my pop up blocker, were all gone, including my Yahoo bar. .....
That may be your problem. Remove all those toolbars (use Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs to do this) and make sure the IE popup blocker is enabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers