U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,912,584 times

Advertisements

Ugh, I cannot figure out how to make the font on my computer bigger. I'm not blind but these teeny, tiny, letters are nutz.

I can make the font bigger for my icons but I cannot seem to figure out how to change the entire computer so the print is bigger. When I log onto the internet the entire page is small letters. The font is also a light, slim type so not only is it small it's thin to make it even worse to read.

Also, I now have the word "desktop" in my toolbar which I really don't want. I want my toolbar larger too but I find nothing in properties that addresses that.

Yes, I did do a search on this but I cannot sift through all of the information to make sense of it all.

Let me try to be more clear. I can figure out how to change many of the fonts but I cannot figure out how to change the fonts that go to the letters in the box itself. Such as: display properties, desk top, screensaver, etc. And, the page I log onto the internet with is another one I cannot figure out.

well, everything is big and readable except for the log on page to the internet. That page comes up small letters. That is the only thing left that I cannot figure out how to make bigger.

I like my screen quite far from my face. I have the screen about 42 inches from my eyes.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 12-06-2009 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,500,255 times
You could change your resolution size under Display Properties. At 800 x 600 everything will look bigger.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,862,988 times
When you are in the browser open to the Internet hold Ctrl down and turn the scroll wheel on the mouse or press the + key.

You don't say what browser you use, but any should allow you to set the default font and size. In FireFox it's under Tools/Options/Content/Fonts and Colors. I don't remember where it is in Internet Explorer.

For Windows (Assuming XP since, again, you haven't told us) go to theDesktop and right click. In the menu that opens click Properties.

At the resulting display box click on Appearance, then the Advanced button. On this screen you can adjust the properties of most locations. Those items that have text will allow adjustment of size and color.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,912,584 times
I use and like Firefox. Most of the time I do not know what information is pertinent and which is not.

Thank you for the help. One of the things that would help immensely is to have the font list actually appear as the font would look if you chose that particular one.

Maybe it's just my computer but choosing a font is a crap shoot. Trial and error, over and over. And I don't know about you but I have a very long list of choices.

Everything seems to be ok except for tabs inside boxes such as the "display properties" box. Those tabs and the internet search page are still small.

I went through all of the choices under display properties but did not find one to change it. But, I'm at the stage where it's "goodenuf".

It would be nice if the computer could sense new hardware and transfer your setting from your old hardware to the new one; in relation to fonts anyway.

From the consumer perspective I think it is waaay too complicated to change fonts.

Yes, I'm a moron.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM

7 posts, read 47,812 times
If you are using Firefox, look for the Add-On called NoSquint. It allows you to set larger fonts and/or larger icons on a per-website basis. From the Firefox Tools menu, select Add-Ons, then Get Add-Ons and search for NoSquint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers