Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,635,848 times

Advertisements

got this error message. so my computer is a Dell. what do I do now to fix this problem? btw, the modem belongs to the cable company as we have cable internet....

Address a problem with RCA Digital Cable Modem

RCA Digital Cable Modem is not compatible with this version of Windows.
Which version of Windows am I using?
You are using Windows Vista SP1.

To find out if a solution or an updated version of RCA Digital Cable Modem is available, contact your device or computer manufacturer.
How do I find my computer manufacturer?
Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.
Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers

Last edited by twowolves; 12-14-2009 at 07:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,707,398 times
RCA cable modems are a pice of junk. However one good thing about them is that they usually have a USB option which should work for you. Also you didnt specify what windows you are running.

If the usb option doesent work, you may think of buying your own cable modem. You may actually save yourself money that way because you wont have to pay your internet company for the rental.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 AM

16,744 posts, read 15,781,394 times
I thought a cable modem connected ethernet to cable. If so, it should make no difference what kind of computer or operating system is attached. Have you by any chance loaded software on your computer that came with your modem? You probably don't need any such program.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,635,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
RCA cable modems are a pice of junk. However one good thing about them is that they usually have a USB option which should work for you. Also you didnt specify what windows you are running.

If the usb option doesent work, you may think of buying your own cable modem. You may actually save yourself money that way because you wont have to pay your internet company for the rental.
what do you mean a usb option?
I didn't know that we could use our own cable modem! I just assumed that the cable company required us to use 'theirs'....?
I am going to call them!
I'd rather have my own!
Ok I just looked at our modem, it says 'digital broadband'...is that something that we can buy on our own, a modem capable of digital broadband? pardon me for my computer ignorance.
ok and I looked and there is an unused port on the modem labeled 'usb', what can I do with that port? you have to be exact and very specific with me as I am completely ignorant with computer-ease. Pretend that you are teaching a 4th grader.....lol.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,707,398 times
Instead of using your ethernet cable you would use a USB cable which would plug directly into your computer via USB. I have never tried it this way but i think the bandwidth is limited if its connected USB, not sure may have to goole it.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:09 AM

16,744 posts, read 15,781,394 times
Sure you can use your own cable modem. I bought one on ebay and then called the cable company to give them the MAC address for authentication on their network.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 AM

269 posts, read 912,290 times
USB requires drivers, ethernet doesn't so ethernet would be the best option in this situation since the modem doesn't have drivers for vista.

You can always use your own cable modem but it will need to be configured w/your ISP. Plug it in and see if you get a config page when using it, otherwise call up your ISP and they will step you through getting the MAC and they will configure it on their end.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,722,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
RCA cable modems are a pice of junk.
This is the root cause of your , and many others, modem problems. I had 5 RCA cable modems with a 100% failure rate. Finally told the cable company to install an "ARRIS" modem or pull the cable out of my home.....NOW!!

With the "ARRIS" modem it's (knock on wood) been smooth sailing.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,062,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
what do you mean a usb option?
I didn't know that we could use our own cable modem! I just assumed that the cable company required us to use 'theirs'....?
I am going to call them!
I'd rather have my own!
Ok I just looked at our modem, it says 'digital broadband'...is that something that we can buy on our own, a modem capable of digital broadband? pardon me for my computer ignorance.
ok and I looked and there is an unused port on the modem labeled 'usb', what can I do with that port? you have to be exact and very specific with me as I am completely ignorant with computer-ease. Pretend that you are teaching a 4th grader.....lol.
Some cable modems do ethernet only, ethernet and USB, some only do USB, which do you have and how is it connected to your PC? Sounds like the USB is empty, that's the way you want it, use ethernet. The curious thing is vista shouldn't even be detecting the cable modem itself when using ethernet, there are no drivers required for a cable modem connected via ethernet.

You can buy your own cable modem and save the monthly fee and prevent yourself from having to use a crap modem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers