U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,251,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Each account (home DSL connection) requires one DSL modem, I don't think you can have 2 DSL modems connected and signed on at the same time, that's the point of the wireless router, it is what signs on to your DSL account and distributes your DSL connection to computers that are connected to it. Pretty much any wireless modem will work, it will say on the box that it supports PPPOE.
So then I can buy this wireless modem at staples or radio shack or where else? and that it states PPPOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM

I really appreciate the help, I will check back later.

Thanks very much

Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM

10,768 posts, read 18,196,859 times
any store that carries computer goodies, best buy, staples, rat shack, office depot. You can even call the routers tech support people for help setting it up. Some of the common brands are netgear, linksys, dlink, and buffalo.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 6,975,452 times
If you just want to show her how to use the laptop and don't need your computer connected to the internet at the same time, you can unplug the ethernet connection from your computer and plug it into her laptop. You will need to install on the laptop the software the phone company sent you for the DSL modem.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM

12,081 posts, read 11,499,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Unlike cable internet, you can't just plug in a wireless router and have it work with DSL, it must be reconfigured to connect (likely via PPPOE) and your account username and password must be set up in the routers interface. Once it's moved from your house to your friends it must be reconfigured for her account before it will work.

Almost any wireless router will work with DSL or cable, they are cheap so don't get one from the ISP for a monthly fee. I have no idea why your provider would sell you a second modem, it won't be useable.
While that used to be true, I've set up two DSL modem in the past couple of years where the account information is stored in the DSL modem itself. I recently had to replace a router connected to one. Unplugged the bad one; plugged in the new one; turned everything on and it immediately started working.

I agree that paying an extra fee to get a wireless router from an ISP is wasted money.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,090,725 times
I have been looking at new laptops for our search and rescue team and most of the DO have a dial up modem. Would I ever use it? No, slower than mud with today's web pages. We got away from dial up years ago. Now with 20 meg cable internet I cannot go back.

With DSL [and cable] you will need a modem to go from the wall to a router. The router can be either wireless or wired. I think there are some combo modem/routers but it is easy enough to do both. You do need wireless. I don't think cable or DSL matters for the router but the modem is different and usually supplied by the internet provider [though you have to rent it and I bought my own modem]

I bought my current latop without an "n" wireless setting because my router is "g" but it the computer had the HDMI output [for digital tv connection] I wanted, and I saved a bundle, but the fastest wireless is now "n" so you may want to look for one that is 801.11b/g/n

----------------

Oh, buyer beware of buying a router on ebay..no matter how good the price.......I did that and got the guy to take it back because the company would not support it. A lot of stolen stuff etc.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,106,559 times
Normally your DSL provider will supply the modem when you sign up for the service.

The wireless router can be bought anywhere. Good brands are Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link.

It will take a reasonably skilled person an hour to get this all set up and running. The set up will do what Nhdave said - and will establish some security on your wireless network.

I would try to get a techie friend to do this. The phone company will charge WAY too much.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:43 AM

10,768 posts, read 18,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While that used to be true, I've set up two DSL modem in the past couple of years where the account information is stored in the DSL modem itself. I recently had to replace a router connected to one. Unplugged the bad one; plugged in the new one; turned everything on and it immediately started working.

I agree that paying an extra fee to get a wireless router from an ISP is wasted money.
I'm sure different ISP's use different methods.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,639,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
If you just want to show her how to use the laptop and don't need your computer connected to the internet at the same time, you can unplug the ethernet connection from your computer and plug it into her laptop.
Absolutely.

Quote:
You will need to install on the laptop the software the phone company sent you for the DSL modem.
Not necessarily. I had AT&T DSL and all I had to do was turn on the modem and plug in an ethernet cable. I used several different computers with it running different operating systems, including Ubuntu, and never had to use any additional software.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 PM

I called my dsl provider and found someone who knew what I was talking about, they say to buy their router 100.00 you get a 50.00 rebate from this, they will support the router and show how to configure it all or come to the house if necessary. If you don't buy from them, no support.

Why the person I talked to did not understand is beyond me, thats just the way of world anymore isn't it.

So now, as I've looked for laptops what should I buy it we don't need alot of stuff like word etc, just to able to surf the web and email for the time being.

Thanks everyone for your replys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or