Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,193,125 times

Advertisements

I use Microsoft Word on my Macintosh. I would like to print only with black ink but I do not see any options like I would in a Windows computer (e.g. Properties).

I chose the button "Page Setup" but I am only allowed to modify paper size and orientation. The other buttons are PDF, Supplies and Preview.

Anybody know where to change the settings for ink color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,691,986 times
Find the printer control page that lets you set color balance then turn all off but the black.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
Wich version of MS Office? First select the menus (formatting palette, etc.). One of them will show the font colors. Just switch the color to a black one, and type away.

If you have already typed a document in red-color fonts, then go to the VIEW Menu and choose "Select All" (this should select or highlight the whole text in the document). Now, choose the right color (black, if you want), and all the text will change from red to black.

Let me give you another example. Right now I have launched Word (from the MS Office 2008 package for Mac), and am typing this example on black “Cambria” font. Under the VIEW Menu I have chosen the following: Draft, Ruler, Markup, Full Screen AND FORMATTING palette. You will see the font-color tool in the Formatting Palette. Choose the color before you start typing. Otherwise, just “Select All,” as I told you above, and then change the font color in the Formatting Palette.

The printer driver is a completely different thing, and has nothing to do with Word, although you can make changes there, at least to the printer's output, and print B&W.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-28-2009 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
1) Go to Print menu
2) Save as PDF
3) Set the quartz filter THERE to save as black and white
4) Save PDF
5) Open PDF in preview
6) Print in black and white.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
not sure what version of MS Office/Word you're using. But when you select "Print" from the File menu - you should see Printer, presets, and a 3rd dropdown menu that defaults to "copies/pages" - click on the arrow to expand that dropdown menu and it should give you a number of other options including "color/quality options".

Chose that and there's a check box for "print colors as gray".

I'm using 2008 BTW.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Thank you everyone. I am still working on how to find grayscale printing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Find the printer control page that lets you set color balance then turn all off but the black.
I have an HP printer so I am looking for this option. I may just contact customer support to help with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Wich version of MS Office? First select the menus (formatting palette, etc.). One of them will show the font colors. Just switch the color to a black one, and type away.
This works only when my documents contain just text. I have pictures included in the documents. These documents contain instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
1) Go to Print menu
2) Save as PDF
3) Set the quartz filter THERE to save as black and white
4) Save PDF
5) Open PDF in preview
6) Print in black and white.
I have no idea what a quartz filter is and I did a search online. It seems that other people have the same problem printing black and white. I will continue reading on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
not sure what version of MS Office/Word you're using. But when you select "Print" from the File menu - you should see Printer, presets, and a 3rd dropdown menu that defaults to "copies/pages" - click on the arrow to expand that dropdown menu and it should give you a number of other options including "color/quality options".

Chose that and there's a check box for "print colors as gray".

I'm using 2008 BTW.
I am using 2008 as well. However, I do not have "color/quality options." These are the other option in that same submenu:

Microsoft Word
Layout
Color Matching (no options here - color sync and vendor matching)
Paper Handling
Cover Page
Scheduler
Paper Type/Quality
Borderless Printing
HP Reallife Technologies
Driver Information
Supply Levels
Summary

Old 12-29-2009, 10:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,253,890 times
I seem to know everything for not being the 'Mac Fanboy'.

Go to File-->Print-->Copies & Pages, drop down to: Paper Type/Quality; When you select on Paper Type/Quality, a grey triangle next to the words Color Option will appear. Click on the triangle. Two new options will pop up: Color and Photo Fix. Choose Color--> Greyscale--> Black Print Cartridge Only. Note* choosing High Quality will not be true B&W.

Or you can just remove the color cartridge from your printer.

Last edited by K-Luv; 12-29-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,253,890 times
This is, of course, only if you are using Leopard or Snow Leopard. Tiger and earlier do have an option for printing in B&W.

Also, OSX handles all printing, so this will be the same whether you are printing form MS Word, the internet, etc.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
One thing to be aware of some printers create black by mixing all the colors, so be sure to monitor color levels unless the setting is specifically "Use black ink only" or worded similar.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I seem to know everything for not being the 'Mac Fanboy'.

Go to File-->Print-->Copies & Pages, drop down to: Paper Type/Quality; When you select on Paper Type/Quality, a grey triangle next to the words Color Option will appear. Click on the triangle. Two new options will pop up: Color and Photo Fix. Choose Color--> Greyscale--> Black Print Cartridge Only. Note* choosing High Quality will not be true B&W.

Or you can just remove the color cartridge from your printer.
I wish I could have tried this but my husband threw out the printer and ordered a Canon which should be arriving soon. Now that menu has changed and that selection is no longer available since uninstalled the drivers.

Thanks anyway.

Also, this particular printer did not allow any printing unless all cartridges were full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers