Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times

Advertisements

I need a new computer. My old laptop has served well for five years though recent virus infections have taken a toll on it and I'm about ready to clean it out and say goodbye to it.
Has anyone got a suggestion on what's good out there for new systems? Also I have considered getting a Mac instaed of a PC this time any opinions there?

I'm pretty sure I want to go back to a desktop as the portability of the laptop did not pan out and there are many other portable options available now with 3g networking.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-04-2009 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Moved it for ya Maineah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM

43,301 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Register at Dell Outlet for emails and on their Twitter site.

You can get a heckuva buy on a Dell refurb desktop when they toss out a 15% off coupon with free shipping.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I need a new computer. My old laptop has served well for five years though recent virus infections have taken a toll on it and I'm about ready to clean it out and say goodbye to it.
Has anyone got a suggestion on what's good out there for new systems? Also I have considered getting a Mac instaed of a PC this time any opinions there?

I'm pretty sure I want to go back to a desktop as the portability of the laptop did not pan out and there are many other portable options available now with 3g networking.
If you are willing to spend the time to educate yourself on the individual products, then I suggest you build your own. It will be better than any pre-made if you spend the time on it.

As for Mac, they have their good points, they had them in the past, but honestly, they are more hype these days and that hype will cost you money like any brand of this nature.

A PC is often cheaper and better fit for most peoples needs. Unless you have money to toss away, I wouldn't bother with a Mac and go with a PC that fits your price range.

If price is no option, and you want the frills and a name to brag with, by all means, go Mac... personally other than for very specific needs I have seen a Mac as nothing more than an overpriced car to look cool in to others.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Thanks,

I started on a Mac before PC's were the rage. It was a 200kb version with no hard drive.....I still have it and it still works! Macs are not totally foreign to me. Since 1986 we have had PC's but I'm getting more and more discouraged with the down time I have to dedicate to curing malware, adware, and virus problems. The more complicated they become the more vulnerable they seem. It's a hard decision. Pc's cost a lot less for compatible systems though Macs (supposedly) run with less problems. I'm not looking for a status symbol but I would like a system that will be useful for at least 4-5 years with a minimum of maintenence.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 PM

43,301 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Thanks,

I started on a Mac before PC's were the rage. It was a 200kb version with no hard drive.....I still have it and it still works! Macs are not totally foreign to me. Since 1986 we have had PC's but I'm getting more and more discouraged with the down time I have to dedicate to curing malware, adware, and virus problems. The more complicated they become the more vulnerable they seem. It's a hard decision. Pc's cost a lot less for compatible systems though Macs (supposedly) run with less problems. I'm not looking for a status symbol but I would like a system that will be useful for at least 4-5 years with a minimum of maintenence.
I just bought two new Dells.
I am retiring two 6 year old desktops, and putting a 3 year old Laptop into limited service. Nothing wrong with any of them. I got bored.
And I have never had a virus issue, or a malware issue.
Spybot or Malwarebytes, or Windows Live AV's have done well for me.

Adware? Yes, it gets rooted out from time to time.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
I use Dell laptop w/ Windows XP at work, and have two Apples at home [iMac (refurbished 24") and MacBook (bought new)], both Mac's now ~3 years old, still running Tiger [10.4] - but just acquired Snow Leopard [10.6]. Have MS Office on the Apples, so can seamlessly do work at home. Personally, I don't hate Windows, but just overall prefer the feel and ease of Apple's OS... it's not perfect, nothing is, but its what I enjoy using. Both have their negatives & positives, and to each their own. I've no qualms at all at recommending a iMac, be it refurb or new [actually, highly recommend refurbed - get a machine that has been 100% inspected, w/ all the same goods, plus at lower price], if you are interested in an Apple desktop - due to my use of Apples and help, my mom, brother, and in-laws have iMacs too One last thing - I do not agree that the price difference between an Apple and a Windows-based PC is as great as some would have a person believe, esp. when including all aspects of the hardware, service, software, longevity, etc., but do some research on your own [as you are doing here] to convince yourself that you made the right choice & purchase.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:23 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
Quote:

I always suggest a Mac to anyone open to trying one - the operating system is easier to use once you get used to it and you will not have the issues with spyware, viruses and malware that you've had with your Windows computer. There's a reason so many people who give Macs an honest shot never look back to Windows PCs again.

The OS comes with everything you need, including mail, web browser, calendar, address book, and the hardware is high quality. With Windows, you will always have to deal with spyware, viruses, etc and the work and cost associated with managing antivirus. Mac OS X has no viruses, spyware, etc. Even is Macs did have the same issues as PCs regarding viruses, the OS is better for the end user isn so many other ways.

I would look at a Mac mini for a desktop solution - the regular model with max RAM is like $700, just add a monitor of your choice. If you have any Mac questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If you are willing to spend the time to educate yourself on the individual products, then I suggest you build your own. It will be better than any pre-made if you spend the time on it.

As for Mac, they have their good points, they had them in the past, but honestly, they are more hype these days and that hype will cost you money like any brand of this nature.

A PC is often cheaper and better fit for most peoples needs. Unless you have money to toss away, I wouldn't bother with a Mac and go with a PC that fits your price range.

If price is no option, and you want the frills and a name to brag with, by all means, go Mac... personally other than for very specific needs I have seen a Mac as nothing more than an overpriced car to look cool in to others.
Now that's funny!!

Quote:
Thanks,

This is because you don't properly protect your computer. It is as simple as that.

I currently use ZoneAlarm Internet Security on one PC (until the subscription runs out) and Norton Internet Security 2009 on two laptops (one running Vista) and one PC. I highly recommend NIS 2009. Do not buy an earlier version of Norton!

I don't have any problems with viruses, spyware, malware, Trojans, etc. None. Norton updates and scans in the background and it does so without noticeably slowing down the computers. Buy a good software program, keep it updated, fork over the cash for the yearly subscriptions, and stop worrying about it.

I have been in the middle of a couple of disagreements on CD about Norton. Some here will tell you it's not a good program. Obviously I disagree. I am a self-employed Computer Consultant (as are some that disagree with me) and I have installed this program on multiple computers at numerous client sites and have had no complaints and no problems.

I also think that you should look at other software. Just because I like Norton does not mean it's the right fit for you. The key is getting a good program that you are comfortable with and one that stops threats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When purchasing a PC you want to be careful about trying to save too much money. As in most things you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap. Do not buy bottom tier computers from any company. Always move up at least one level.

Make a list of what it is you do on your computer and buy a CPU that fits. Paying extra for a Quad Core Super Duper Burn Em Up CPU is a complete waste of time if you only do spreadsheets and email. If you play high-end computer games, then look into a dual or quad core CPU. Come back here with the list and ask for for advice if you need it.

Install as much RAM as you can afford. RAM is the key to a consistently fast PC. It does not matter how fast the CPU is if you use all the available RAM by loading a bunch of programs into it and fill it up. Because if you do the system switches over to using the swap file, which is on the hard drive. At this point the I/O in the system is running at hard drive I/O speed instead of RAM I/O speed. There is a huge difference. 4GB is a good amount of RAM.

Look for warranty length. Most are pretty pitiful now, but you might find a brand that has a better warranty length. I've not studied this lately so I don't know what's available. I do know Dell loves to sell extended warranties. I have had clients use them and had entire systems replaced no questions asked.

Pay attention to monitor refresh speed. I think this is not as much of an issue anymore unless you play games. The lower the refresh rate the better. Also pay attention to the native resolution of the monitor you buy. This is the resolution at which the monitor displays the best image. Any other will usually be "fuzzy" (technical term).

After you buy come back here and we will help you remove the bloatware that most makers dump on a new PC. It's not too difficult and the PC will run better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Building your own can be fun. It's not as difficult as you might think. The biggest problem I usually run into are the lousy directions written by someone whose first language is NOT English, but this is improving.

If this is a temptation keep in mind there are a lot of excellent technicians on CD that will help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Longevity. Mrs. Tek's PC is 6 years old. Runs like a champ. She put it together (I did watch, but helped very little).

Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Now that's funny!!
This is because you don't properly protect your computer. It is as simple as that.

That's a level of effort you don't have to put in with a Mac, fwiw. If your computer choice comes down to all the maint. you need to do to keep the computer running vs. just using it, Macs are the better option. In order to keep bad stuff out, you need to run these security suites like Norton that constantly use resources and can be trouble in their own right. Of course, if you're willing to keep up with the extra applications like Symantec or any other anti-virus software, adware removal software, software like Spybot, etc, any associated subscription fees, et al, then a Windows OS is a good option.

If you are building your own computers, you probably have a level of expertise and interest in them that is above that of a normal user - like the guy who likes to tinker with a project car versus the guy that just wants to drive his car, for example. Some people just want the thing to run without issue or much preventative maint.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,081 times
Lightbulb Self-Built or Dell. No question.

I build my own, always have. When I purchase for friends or family, I go with Dell machines if I don't build it. Someone mentioned the Dell Outlet - that's definitely the way to go. You can get a machine for 1/2 the regular price, because it has a scratch on it, or something trivial. If you're interested in building your own, I'd suggest to go with ASUS (motherboard), Kingston or Crucial (memory), Western Digital (hard drives), Creative (sound card if needed), and nVidia (video card if needed) for your parts... In the 20 years I've been building them, these manufacturers of hardware have been the least troublesome, and the most helpful when and if there was a problem with anything.
For the best all around, go to buy.com - never had a problem with them.
For the best prices (but not too great shipping) go with tigerdirect.com - I bought my newest PC parts there - Quad-core AMD Phenom, ASUS M4N78 Pro (onboard 8-channel audio, and nVidia GeForce 8300 video) motherboard, 4G Kingstom HyperX DDR 1066Mhz ram, and a decent case for $325.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers