Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM

122 posts, read 426,728 times

Advertisements

The line is really getting blurred between netbooks and notebooks.

Gateway EC14D Ultraportable Gains Internal DVD Drive

Gateway/Acer EC14D - 3.5 pounds

11.6" 1366x768
Intel SU4100 CPU
4GB RAM, 320GB SATA drive
802.11b/g/n, HDMI
Integrated DVD Drive
Win 7 Premium 64 bit
MSRP $630
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,359,370 times
The only thing new about that is the price. I have a 5 year old Sony laptop with a 10.5" screen and internal DVD-RW in a 3lb package. It was a hell of a lot more than $630 though. I've been looking for a replacement but don't want anything much heaver than what I have now. That means either getting a netbook or spending big bucks on another Sony or something similar. I'll have to check this one out when it hits the stores.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 PM

122 posts, read 426,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The only thing new about that is the price. I have a 5 year old Sony laptop with a 10.5" screen.
Really? Your 5 year old Sony had 1366x768 resolution, HDMI, 64bit, 4GB RAM, 320GB Drive. I'm impressed, which one was it?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo++ View Post
Really? Your 5 year old Sony had 1366x768 resolution, HDMI, 64bit, 4GB RAM, 320GB Drive. I'm impressed, which one was it?
Of course not. It's 5 years old. Those specs are pretty standard today for anything that's not a netbook. When I got my computer, its specs were typical for its day.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,289,670 times
I just bought an HP Pavilion dv7 17" laptop and it does everything but clean the sink. I got a bigger laptop because I'm not intending to take it out of the house with me and if I need a bigger screen I can hook it up to the TV. The netbooks are laptops that are smaller and have just as much punch. I have always been a Gateway fan but this time it was all the graphics (for games) and the blue ray, plus the cost that swayed me to buy the Pavilion dv7 HP (there are several in the dv group). These days the idea of having to have an enourmous tower to clutter your desk is gone. I do not see a blur with netbooks vs laptops, I see marketing. Have you heard of the new tablet? I love technology.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
These days the idea of having to have an enourmous tower to clutter your desk is gone.
Speak for yourself. Can your laptop support a couple of 30" screens and terabytes of internal storage?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,626,438 times
Quote:
Can your laptop support a couple of 30" screens and terabytes of internal storage?
Actually yes. Once HDMI got added to notebooks then it can handle higher than 30" and multiple monitors. As to the hard drive its pretty easy now to pull one out and replace it with a larger one.

Sony had a ultra light series as much as 8 years ago, but it cost nearly $2000. No comparison to the specs now (on the other hand they didn't exist back then) but for size, weight & quality alone it stood way ahead of its competitors.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 AM

1,689 posts, read 4,289,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Speak for yourself. Can your laptop support a couple of 30" screens and terabytes of internal storage?
Absolutely,and then some! Memory/500, hard drive/500, HDMI portal etc... It's actually referred to as an Entertainment Notebook PC. Many of the companies are putting them out now. I chose the HP dv7 model because it is so tricked out.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Absolutely,and then some! Memory/500, hard drive/500, HDMI portal etc... It's actually referred to as an Entertainment Notebook PC. Many of the companies are putting them out now. I chose the HP dv7 model because it is so tricked out.
Really? Link to a laptop with multiple video outputs? The biggest laptop hard drive available today is 1TB so you'd need two bays just to get to 2TB. I have 4 drives in my desktop.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,886,557 times
Quote:
I just bought an HP Pavilion dv7 17" laptop and it does everything but clean the sink. I got a bigger laptop because I'm not intending to take it out of the house with me and if I need a bigger screen I can hook it up to the TV. The netbooks are laptops that are smaller and have just as much punch. I have always been a Gateway fan but this time it was all the graphics (for games) and the blue ray, plus the cost that swayed me to buy the Pavilion dv7 HP (there are several in the dv group). These days the idea of having to have an enourmous tower to clutter your desk is gone. I do not see a blur with netbooks vs laptops, I see marketing. Have you heard of the new tablet? I love technology.

If you don't intent to take the laptop out then you should not have gotten a laptop. These oversized, over tweak large laptop are not worth it. For the same amount of money, you can get a much more powerful desktop and it doesn't have to be some large tower. No matter what they put on the laptop, it's still slow compared to a desktop. The weakness is in the power supply and cooling.

The netbook was a great idea but it's just too darn slow and the screen were too small (and with odd resolution). We are just heading back to the lightweight laptop again. Don't get me wrong, I own a few netbook and they are great for how and what I use it as. As a PC, they lack power. I basically use mine for basic browsing and remote desktop to my terminal servers for troubleshooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers