U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 AM

615 posts, read 1,610,709 times

Advertisements

I currently have a netgear wireless router, WGR614v6, about 5 years old at least. It appears that it has quit working. I've tried some troubleshooting. A signal is getting through to my computer, computer is connecting just fine and saying it is connecting but no internet. My computer connects just fine to my cable modem and I can access the internet when directly wired.

My questions are, is there anything else to check to make sure that my wireless router has for sure died? I have connected it using all the ports available (there are 5 total on my wireless router).

And then what is the best recommended wireless router to purchase? I'm a little unhappy with Netgear's support so I am not sure if I want to go back to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,878,535 times
Dlink DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router, will run you 80 to 100 bucks. Obviously there are better routers but they run at a much higher price as well. Your decsion should be based on what you are using it for. Network, single PC, gaming, etc.

Simply my opinion. There is no "best"

Linksys and netgear are still making kick a*s routers as well.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM

13,719 posts, read 28,417,443 times
Before you throw in the towel - I suggest you power everything down.

Power the cable modem, the router, your computer(s) off. Wait for 10 seconds.

Power them back on in the following sequence:

1. Cable modem (or whatever you have).
2. Router
3. Computers

I have found that sometimes when the wireless network has a glitch of some kind that the router has in its memory something (MAC address?) that doesn't work when the connection is restored. Powering the router off clears its cache. Powering everything up again causes it to be rebuilt fresh.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM

28,752 posts, read 44,239,478 times
When you power them back up wait for them to cycle, especially the modem. The lights on the modem should tell you when it's finished connecting to the Internet. Once it's done power up the router, then the PC

Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM

This post may get deleted as there seems to be a push to limit vendor recommendations, but I'll give it a shot anyway. This is a list of the top-rated routers at Newegg

Wireless:

Newegg.com - Networking,Wireless Networking,Wireless Routers

Wired:

Newegg.com - Networking,Wired Networking,Wired Routers

Gives you a place to start if you do need a new router.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,610,709 times
I have tried powering off everything, several times as I tried the different ports/plugs in the back.

I only use the computer for basic internet (no gaming), occasional movie watching via hulu, word processing, basic stuff like that.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I have tried powering off everything, several times as I tried the different ports/plugs in the back.

I only use the computer for basic internet (no gaming), occasional movie watching via hulu, word processing, basic stuff like that.
But did you just power them off and back on or did you follow the correct procedure? You should also leave the router off for at least 30 seconds before powering it up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers