U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 AM

342 posts, read 560,530 times

Advertisements

How did you come up with your email address?

ME: Its the address where I grew up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM

28,762 posts, read 44,646,261 times
One is from a nickname I've had for most of my life. One is my first two initials a dot then my last name. Another is the short version of my company name, and another is my first name associated with my company domain. I have a separate netscape account with my old nickname for those places that require an email address, but I want them to go to a "junk" location. I monitor this one through my Outlook account.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Tek_Freek,

Thank you for your reply
how do you remember them all?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 AM

They are all set as "remember this password" in Outlook. Besides I've had them for so long it's second nature and the passwords are keyed to things like cars I've owned, the model name of monitors I've owned, that type of thing.

I can sit down at a new install of Outlook and set up all my accounts without needing any notes.

Same for my computers. Depending on the OS I either have three or four passwords to get into all the areas of the computer and I don't need notes for them.

On my laptop I have a password to start the PC (before Windows), one to get into the BIOS, one to get into Windows, and if the OS creates an Administrator account automatically (like XP) I have one for that account as well.

I keep it simple (?) by reversing the one used to start the PC to get into BIOS (abcde and edcba for example) and the one for my and the Admin account are the same.

The Administrator account is the one that can be used to "sneak" into Windows. You go in using safe mode and one of the accounts listed is Administrator. I'd wager 99% of the Windows installs do not have a password on this account so I can breeze right into Windows and rummage around to see what I can find.

Then I can change YOUR account password and lock you out of your own computer.

Heh, heh, heh.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM

Tek_Freek,

Thank you for telling me that was nice of you.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM

19,628 posts, read 9,885,899 times
I have several email addresses, as well. Two of them are close to what my son used, so I guess I would have to say I "copied" his, LOL!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM

8,647 posts, read 16,493,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
How did you come up with your email address?

ME: Its the address where I grew up.
My first name....I have nothing to hide...LOL

Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 AM

11,715 posts, read 38,560,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The Administrator account is the one that can be used to "sneak" into Windows. You go in using safe mode and one of the accounts listed is Administrator. I'd wager 99% of the Windows installs do not have a password on this account so I can breeze right into Windows and rummage around to see what I can find.
Some woman thought I was some kind of super hacker when I used this trick on her computer to get in and reset her password. She got drunk the previous night and changed her Windows password and of course couldn't remember what she's changed it to the next day.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:42 PM

I love people that do things like that. Easy money. Expensive beer after your charges were added to the cost of the night out...

Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,318,462 times
I just use my real name..Nothing to hide and not likely to have everyone search it..Hopefully I will not forget my name..

my daughter is a computer repairman, programer, etc so she retrieves anything I lose. She also set a password on my hard drive so no one can use my computer except me.. Drives a nosey hubby crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers