U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 07:33 PM

866 posts, read 3,864,778 times

Advertisements

For years and years of using the computer I always finish with red eyes and and very painful headache. I stubbled upon a few companies that sell eye glasses made specifically for compter use to reduce glare and headaches.

Has anyone used these types of eye glasses for computer use and do they actually work to reduce headaches and computer eye strain?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,556,915 times
My optometrist makes computer glasses for me. The key difference is that the prescription is not full strength. Eye strain is the result of going back and forth between distant focusing and close (monitor distance) focusing. I tell my optometrist how far the monitor is from my eyes, and he adjusts the prescription so that my eyes think they are distant focusing when I focus on the monitor. That eliminates the eye strain. The computer glasses also have AR coating, but the big difference is the strength of the prescription. My vision was getting steadily worse up until I was about 25; since getting computer glasses it has stabilized and actually began to improve (I'm nearsighted).

Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,501,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
My vision was getting steadily worse up until I was about 25; since getting computer glasses it has stabilized and actually began to improve (I'm nearsighted).
That might have more to do with your age than the glasses. My vision (nearsighted) slowly got worse until about that age too before it stabilized. I wear contacts most of the time but I do keep my monitors just beyond arm's length so I don't have to focus too closely.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,617,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
My optometrist makes computer glasses for me. The key difference is that the prescription is not full strength.
I agree with this, I have lower power glasses for computer use. Also, you have to make sure the monitor and light level are adjusted optimally to help, whether you use glasses or not.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM

18,760 posts, read 56,025,612 times
Headache can be from tensing the neck muscles. The monitor placement is critical for long use, make sure that your neck is in a comfortable upright position, so use of a bridge for the monitor can be helpful.

I used to have glasses for use with my computer. Those two-for-one glasses sales are a cheap way of getting them - the looks of the glasses aren't terribly important. Distance to the screen is about 20" for me, and they did help. Some of the eyestrain can be from using a low resolution monitor. If the screen looks a little fuzzy, the eye will continually range to try to bring it into focus.

Also, set a music player so you have to get up every half-hour or so to change it. That can help considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or