Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 PM

109 posts, read 249,534 times

Advertisements

Just installed the wireless router and tried to connect to the internet. It is so slow. I unplugged the router and plugged my computer straight from the modem and its fast.

Not only that, I set up my user name and password and tried to connect the wifi through my itouch and it wouldnt let me connect. What gives?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,240 times
Wireless connections are always slower than hard-wired connections. Fact of life.

You need to provide far more information about your wi-fi set up, the itouch set-up, and the exact error messages or responses you get when you try to connect them.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,104,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Wireless connections are always slower than hard-wired connections. Fact of life.
While true in theory or even by the numbers, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. For example, in my case I see:

Laptop (802.11g Wifi via Linksys WRT54G v8):

Desktop (ethernet via no-name $35 16-port 100BaseTX switch):

Both feel about the same to me, though, for day to day operations, and for most web sites that I visit, the Wifi pipeline is a nonissue. Some of the diff could be due to the fact that the desktop PC is running Linux and is a much faster box (3.6GHz versus 1.7GHz). My wife's laptop shows 19.6Mb/s right now (I can't paste from it because she's using it).

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:

You need to provide far more information about your wi-fi set up, the itouch set-up, and the exact error messages or responses you get when you try to connect them.
Yea I know that but, to wait 5 minutes to try to get a responce is a little much. Google wouldn't even load the word"google" all the way.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
There's a couple of things to check out. First, connect your computer through the router's WIRED LAN port and see what happens. If there's something wrong with the router or its setup, it'll most likely affect both wired and wireless computers. If its fast when wired to the router, you know its a wifi issue.

If its slow when wired through the router, it might be a DNS issue. Routers often assign their own IP address as the preferred DNS server for your PC. That's not such a great idea. To fix this, manually set your DNS server in Windows to either your ISP's DNS servers or use the following: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (open DNS) or 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (Level3). If that fixes it, your router just sucks at DNS.

If its only slow on wifi, make sure you're not using the default channel 6. Everybody and their brother has a Linksys router and unless they change it, they're all on channel 6 with you. This causes big problems. Make sure you changed the SSID (wireless network name) too because its even worse if you're competing with other networks named "Linksys", all on channel 6. I like channel 2 or 3 since they're usually not used.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
There's a couple of things to check out. First, connect your computer through the router's WIRED LAN port and see what happens. If there's something wrong with the router or its setup, it'll most likely affect both wired and wireless computers. If its fast when wired to the router, you know its a wifi issue.

If its slow when wired through the router, it might be a DNS issue. Routers often assign their own IP address as the preferred DNS server for your PC. That's not such a great idea. To fix this, manually set your DNS server in Windows to either your ISP's DNS servers or use the following: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (open DNS) or 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (Level3). If that fixes it, your router just sucks at DNS.

If its only slow on wifi, make sure you're not using the default channel 6. Everybody and their brother has a Linksys router and unless they change it, they're all on channel 6 with you. This causes big problems. Make sure you changed the SSID (wireless network name) too because its even worse if you're competing with other networks named "Linksys", all on channel 6. I like channel 2 or 3 since they're usually not used.
I am running the internet right now just through the wired router and it's fast for me. I just recently bought the wireless router and didn't set it up correctly untill yesterday. Followed the instructions step by step. It detected an internet connection and everything seemed ok untill I tried to get on the internet.

The wifi signal picks up but it never loads a internet page or updates apps.

Were do i go to change the channel?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Quote:

For the vast majority of people 802.11g is faster than their ISP connection. So the bottleneck is usually not the wireless network.

Clearly the OP's situation is that the wireless is slow.

The channel number is set in the router's setup dialog. Usually you get to it by typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser and logging in. You'll have to look for the settings for the wireless network.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

588 posts, read 2,830,447 times
This is a long shot, but make sure you do not have any other wireless devices in the vicinity that use the 2.4GHz RF band. I have a set of Logitech wireless surround sound speakers that, when enabled, bring my wi-fi speed down to a crawl. The speakers claim to implement a frequency hopping algorithm so as to not interfere with other devices, but it clearly does not work.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettblack View Post
Yea I know that but, to wait 5 minutes to try to get a responce is a little much. Google wouldn't even load the word"google" all the way.

Yes, that is "symptomatic of a problem" slow.

How far away is the router from the laptop? Is it trying to transmit through walls or floors? Is it any better if you are sitting right next to it?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is "symptomatic of a problem" slow.

How far away is the router from the laptop? Is it trying to transmit through walls or floors? Is it any better if you are sitting right next to it?
Yea sitting right in front of it. Bupkis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers