Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:07 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

Any programmers out there?

I'm trying to review algebra for a possible job opportunity. It's a job where they train you in programming.

Their pre-employment test 1/2 Flowcharts and 1/2 Algebra.

What I'm wanting to know is about what grade level of Algebra should I be reviewing???

I tried to research it on the internet and some say that basic algebra is all that is needed.

To learn programming, is it just solving basic equations that I need to review?

I'm really interested in the job and don't have time to take a class so I've been checking stuff out of the library.

Does anyone know of a good DVD Tutor program that has a workbook for reviewing Algebra? I'm considering purchasing a program called Math Tutor that's on DVD. Does anyone have experience with it or maybe another similar program?

Any help you can give would be so greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-17-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 PM

239 posts, read 402,709 times
The algebra you normally learn in 8th or 9th grade, though some learn it in 6/7th grade. There is also a college algebra course that teaches the same.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNobody View Post
The algebra you normally learn in 8th or 9th grade, though some learn it in 6/7th grade. There is also a college algebra course that teaches the same.
Thanks for pointing out the fact that I've not taken college algebra.

and, besides, college is in mid-term anyway... I need to do this right now!

The DVD course I'm looking at covers

Quote:
The course begins with negative and positive numbers and moves into fractions, exponents, and expressions before moving into the traditional Algebra I topics such as solving equations, solving inequalities, and factoring
Think that's all I need to review ?

(The fact that I've not taken college algebra doesn't mean I'm stupid ... I took business math instead. )

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-17-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM

239 posts, read 402,709 times
quadratic equations, graphing and set theory as well. It has been a while since I have taken algebra, and I took it back in junior high, and all that knowledge is just incorporated into my general math knowledge. You can always look at one of the many sites out there that discuss algebra. Here are some I got by looking at google: Algebra.help -- Calculators, Lessons, and Worksheets Practical Algebra Lessons . They will probably help. They might require you to know some basic trig, like Pythagorean theorem, sin, cos, tan, and such. I'd also look at truth tables if you are going into programming.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
"College Algebra" makes no sense. Algebra is something you're supposed to learn when you're twelve, not when your eighteen or nineteen. Seriously, your math education is really deficient if you're an adult and you haven't had algebra. It's like you dropped out in 8th grade.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
If that DVD course is the one I'm thinking of, look online for reviews of it and the company that sells it. There are some real horror stories about billing practices and other problems.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
"College Algebra" makes no sense. Algebra is something you're supposed to learn when you're twelve, not when your eighteen or nineteen. Seriously, your math education is really deficient if you're an adult and you haven't had algebra. It's like you dropped out in 8th grade.
Welcome to public school in the US.

They "taught" algebra in the seventh grade to me. Horribly. When I started programming I had to sit down and relearn algebra from scratch.

Even so in my programming I generally only use simple algebra. If you're doing graphing and the like you'll use more advanced stuff.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Go to your local library and talk to the people there. They can point out where books on learning algebra are and may have an idea about what level you need to know. They may also have a good idea of which book is best.

Googling is great for information, but you need to go look through some books to get an idea of what you want. Besides - it's free!

You remind me of me a few (ahem) years back. Well, about 35 to be more precise. I started a job as a draftsman (No calculators and a drafting board) and after I had been there a few days the checker asked if I knew Trigonometry, which I did not. I went from Geometry to Physics. He told me I had to know Trig. Crap.

I went to the local book store and found a book called Plane and Spherical Trigonometry that had tests at the end of every chapter, and the answers in the back. I went through the entire book over the weekend, working every problem. When I went in Monday I told him I now knew Trigonometry and he laughed at me. "Test me", I told him, and he did.

I solved every problem he gave me. Dude couldn't believe it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If that DVD course is the one I'm thinking of, look online for reviews of it and the company that sells it. There are some real horror stories about billing practices and other problems.
I think the one you're thinking of is "Math Made Easy". I called and spoke to one of them on their 800 number off the internet.

It was high pressure sales and they try to get you on a monthly plan... yada,yada,yada. I guarantee that's the one you heard about!

I've actually found someone who sells MathTutor on Ebay.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Would you like for me to do your Income taxes or your payroll???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Hi Arrogant,

I had algebra about a hundred years ago in high school.

I've not taken College Algebra. In COLLEGE, I've taken Business Math.. along with a lot of Secretarial Classes.

So, I'm wanting to REVIEW Algebra before taking a test for this job because Business Math and Accounting are not at all the same as Algebra.

And, if you don't USE it you LOSE it.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-18-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers