Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 05:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times

Advertisements

What I mean is one bought for not cruising the Net.

With all the stuff we download from the Net, at times it seems we need just another computer to handle it all.....like now when the consideration of backing up a 4T drive looms. I can't tie up my laptop for as long as that would take.

What I am thinking is a Tower, probably a mini, with at least 3 USBs for keyboard and transfers, then the monitor, HDMI capable. Add to it able to take an external DVD drive. Enough inside for word processing and to do my own programming if I ever get back into that. The graphics have to be okay for video, that's most of what I am sorting, but it doesn't have to be games because I am not doing that, rather left that behind in the years.

A thing or two it has to be is not dependent on streaming because I don't get that here and it is not being bought to work with the Net, to be dependent on the Net. Hence, for the word processing software, I'll probably buy my copies since I can't have it checking with the Net every day (or worse) to see if the copy is correct.

And the other thing? CHEAP!......or, keeping in mind that it is secondary to the laptop, much less expensive.

So, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 06:05 AM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
I saw some Dell and HP mini-towers at Office Depot for under $400. You can check on the Dell and HP websites as well.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I saw some Dell and HP mini-towers at Office Depot for under $400. You can check on the Dell and HP websites as well.

Thank you!

I'll see what they said. Part of the problem of these times is that we can't just walk into a store and talk to a salesman.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:43 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Not trying to talk you out of this, but any even half way decent computer should still remain completely usable when doing even a large copy job like that.

You just need a computer, there's no need to mention it doesn't need to be online capable. Any decent PC will come with 4 USB.

A basic Inspiron sounds like all you need:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desk...op/nd3880eejis

Old 12-07-2020, 09:48 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What I mean is one bought for not cruising the Net.

With all the stuff we download from the Net, at times it seems we need just another computer to handle it all.....like now when the consideration of backing up a 4T drive looms. I can't tie up my laptop for as long as that would take.

What I am thinking is a Tower, probably a mini, with at least 3 USBs for keyboard and transfers, then the monitor, HDMI capable. Add to it able to take an external DVD drive. Enough inside for word processing and to do my own programming if I ever get back into that. The graphics have to be okay for video, that's most of what I am sorting, but it doesn't have to be games because I am not doing that, rather left that behind in the years.

A thing or two it has to be is not dependent on streaming because I don't get that here and it is not being bought to work with the Net, to be dependent on the Net. Hence, for the word processing software, I'll probably buy my copies since I can't have it checking with the Net every day (or worse) to see if the copy is correct.

And the other thing? CHEAP!......or, keeping in mind that it is secondary to the laptop, much less expensive.

So, any suggestions?
Any interest in learning to build your own?
I built mine - the one I am using - about 10 years ago. It probably wasn't cost effective, but it sure has been personally rewarding to know that I can change out everything, upgrade everything, and that I own the copy of Win 7 64 bit that I am running.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not trying to talk you out of this, but any even half way decent computer should still remain completely usable when doing even a large copy job like that.

You just need a computer, there's no need to mention it doesn't need to be online capable. Any decent PC will come with 4 USB.

A basic Inspiron sounds like all you need:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desk...op/nd3880eejis
It is a bit complex for my laptop. It HAD 3 USB's....but a wine spill 2 years ago took out the starboard one. One port usb is for the keyboard and the mouse, hence leaving only one. So, essentially, most transfers are to the drive on the laptop and then from the laptop to whatever. My daily diary pictures, for example, go to the laptop from the thumbdrive.....and then, with the printer now hooked into the USB, from the laptop to the printer.

I use an external keyboard because it has been my experience that what goes first on the laptop is the keyboard.

My thrifty self says I ought to review my resources to see if I can do it before I spend the cash....but my thinking self says I ought to have a computer as a backup just in case the laptop goes out.

It's not that it doesn't need to be online capable; it is that its purpose will not be being on line.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Any interest in learning to build your own?
I built mine - the one I am using - about 10 years ago. It probably wasn't cost effective, but it sure has been personally rewarding to know that I can change out everything, upgrade everything, and that I own the copy of Win 7 64 bit that I am running.
I got into that at the turn of the century. I had a full size tower with something like 13 bays, a mid tower, and then a mini, all stacked on each other. I had ambitious dreams of loading those bays with so many hard drives....but that was back in the apartments and I am long out of it. One of the angles of why is that I am long out of OS. With those computers, I was running something like upgrade versions from W 95 and NT!

It's a nice thought but I think of the problems these days is that I am heavily into USB hard drives.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-07-2020 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-07-2020, 12:28 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times
Quote:
It is a bit complex for my laptop. It HAD 3 USB's....but a wine spill 2 years ago took out the starboard one. One port usb is for the keyboard and the mouse, hence leaving only one. So, essentially, most transfers are to the drive on the laptop and then from the laptop to whatever. My daily diary pictures, for example, go to the laptop from the thumbdrive.....and then, with the printer now hooked into the USB, from the laptop to the printer.

I use an external keyboard because it has been my experience that what goes first on the laptop is the keyboard.

My thrifty self says I ought to review my resources to see if I can do it before I spend the cash....but my thinking self says I ought to have a computer as a backup just in case the laptop goes out.

It's not that it doesn't need to be online capable; it is that its purpose will not be being on line.

Thanks!

I got into that at the turn of the century. I had a full size tower with something like 13 bays, a mid tower, and then a mini, all stacked on each other. I had ambitious dreams of loading those bays with so many hard drives....but that was back in the apartments and I am long out of it. One of the angles of why is that I am long out of OS. With those computers, I was running something like upgrade versions from W 95 and NT!

It's a nice thought but I think of the problems these days is that I am heavily into USB hard drives.
If all you need is USB ports, have you considered a USB hub?

Old 12-07-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
If all you need is USB ports, have you considered a USB hub?

Do they work? I tried them a few years ago for a whole bunch of hard drives and found them rather lacking. Do you have a brand to suggest?

Old 12-08-2020, 03:47 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Do they work? I tried them a few years ago for a whole bunch of hard drives and found them rather lacking. Do you have a brand to suggest?
If you are trying to access a bunch of unpowered portable hard drives on an unpowered hub that won’t work well.

What make and model laptop do you have? Is a docking station an option?

Old 12-08-2020, 05:40 AM

230 posts, read 190,274 times
You can get some really good deals at Amazon Renewed.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=renewed+d..._ss_ts-a-p_4_6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers