Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 PM

409 posts, read 2,628,988 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a solid antivirus software. From the limited research I've done I found Avast to be the best but I might be mistaken. Norton, Live One Care, System-works and the other commonly known antivirus have yearly subscription fee. Is there any way around this? There must be an antivirus out there that lets you pay once for the product and let you use it for as long as you want afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,620,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I am looking for a solid antivirus software. From the limited research I've done I found Avast to be the best but I might be mistaken. Norton, Live One Care, System-works and the other commonly known antivirus have yearly subscription fee. Is there any way around this? There must be an antivirus out there that lets you pay once for the product and let you use it for as long as you want afterwards.
MS Live One Care is discontinued. They now have a free version called Security Essentials that I use. I don't know of any anti-virus software that only charges once and you get free updates after that.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:44 AM

409 posts, read 2,628,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
MS Live One Care is discontinued. They now have a free version called Security Essentials that I use. I don't know of any anti-virus software that only charges once and you get free updates after that.
Sounds interesting, is it completely free? Or is there some fine print? Who owns it? Is it Microsoft?

Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Sounds interesting, is it completely free? Or is there some fine print? Who owns it? Is it Microsoft?
Yes, free.
No fine print.
Microsoft.

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

You'll need a genuine copy of Windows though.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:17 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,311,298 times
avast! - Download Free Antivirus Software or Internet Security

been usin it for about 2 years now. no problems whatsoever.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 AM

37,218 posts, read 60,933,271 times
I use 'Avira'

The 'home personal-use-only' verson is free and updated daily.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 AM

16,584 posts, read 15,507,256 times
Microsoft Security Essentials is free.
AVG has a free edition.
Avast, Avira, and others have free editions.
Right now, I'm liking MSE. It includes malware protection as well as antivirus.
(Did I mention that I am partial to FREE?)

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 AM

339 posts, read 1,259,251 times
Personally I use Avira and have never had any problems with it. Just make sure you don;t neglect the other security aspects of safe online browsing:

1. Assume that visiting "dodgy" sites WILL get you infected - don't visit them

2. Install a third party fiewwall and disable the windows one - something like COMODO (caps theirs) is a good product - just make sure you don' install the antivirus if you already have one - more than one antivirus will conflict.

3. Download a good anti-malware program such as Malwarebytes.

4. Make sure to run all scans regularly. There is no point in having the products if you don't use them.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,620,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, free.
No fine print.
Microsoft.

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

You'll need a genuine copy of Windows though.
True. There's always a catch...

Old 02-23-2010, 02:36 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,822,838 times
If you keep an eye out for bargains, you can find a lot of the big name antivirus programs for free after rebate. You'll just have to pay sales tax on the full price. I've seen three-packs of Norton, McAfee, CA, and Kaspersky for free after rebate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers