Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times

Advertisements

I have an E-Machines system, since yesterday afternoon, this computer has been VERY slow. Normally I run Avast and Malwarebytes on this computer on a weekly basis, but for some reason the internet pages take upwards of 5-10 minutes to load, instead of running super smooth and less than a few seconds to load a page. I ran both antivirus programs since yesterday, these scans last a little more than an hour. Now they last 3-4 hours, scanning way slower than they used to. They don't seem to be picking up any viruses but the computer is acting very buggy and I don't know what to do. I hard booted this thing yesterday and it ran smoothly again, but now it's buggy, choppy and slow all of a sudden.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
It could be a failing hard drive. Download a program called HD Tach, let it benchmark your drive, and post back. If you get numbers like 50MB/sec+, the drive is doing its job. If you get something crazy slow like 3MB/sec, you can focus on the hard drive. Moving the drive to a different SATA port can trigger it to treat it as a new device and set it back to the correct speed. I'd also download the manufacturer's diagnostic CD and run a full test.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It could be a failing hard drive. Download a program called HD Tach, let it benchmark your drive, and post back. If you get numbers like 50MB/sec+, the drive is doing its job. If you get something crazy slow like 3MB/sec, you can focus on the hard drive. Moving the drive to a different SATA port can trigger it to treat it as a new device and set it back to the correct speed. I'd also download the manufacturer's diagnostic CD and run a full test.
Good program...just one note, this program is for Windows 2000 and XP, so if you're running Vista or Windows 7, be sure to change properties to run in XP.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Good program...just one note, this program is for Windows 2000 and XP, so if you're running Vista or Windows 7, be sure to change properties to run in XP.
I'm running it under Win7 with no modifications required.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
are you running firefox? Im having a lot of issues running firefox right now. Its runningslow as molasses. I even wound up formatting my computer and reinstalling thinking i had a virus or something. I still had issues after a clean install. I switched to IE8 and had no more problems but still have problems when i use firefox. Its wierd because some people are not having any issues with firefox and some are. I suggest trying IE if you havent already.

Last edited by skel1977; 03-30-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 AM

555 posts, read 1,573,485 times
What are your specs? For all I know, you may be running 256 memory lol.

Could be anything, memory leak, failing HD, overheating, bad PS, etc etc.

A tip about Firefox, avoid using as many plugins as possible. I call it bloatware, when you download a plugin, use it once and forget about it.

Also might want to run chkdisk to look for any drive errors.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Thanks guys, I just defragged the C and D drives, and ran malwarebytes and it found 3 rootkit malware programs infected several folders in the registry. The computer is running great now.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I have an E-Machines system, since yesterday afternoon, this computer has been VERY slow. Normally I run Avast and Malwarebytes on this computer on a weekly basis, but for some reason the internet pages take upwards of 5-10 minutes to load, instead of running super smooth and less than a few seconds to load a page. I ran both antivirus programs since yesterday, these scans last a little more than an hour. Now they last 3-4 hours, scanning way slower than they used to. They don't seem to be picking up any viruses but the computer is acting very buggy and I don't know what to do. I hard booted this thing yesterday and it ran smoothly again, but now it's buggy, choppy and slow all of a sudden.

Please help.
back up everything of value and reinstall operating system

painful as it is, sometimes it is the only way

20yrsinBranson
been there, done that

Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
back up everything of value and reinstall operating system

painful as it is, sometimes it is the only way

20yrsinBranson
been there, done that
That seems like a pretty radical solution, especially since the OP solved the problem by eradicating 3 rootkits.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That seems like a pretty radical solution, especially since the OP solved the problem by eradicating 3 rootkits.
Well, I assumed since the op had already used malwarebytes that there was no further contamination. Of course, my advice was the last resort.

Besides, it is nice to "redo" the old computer once in a while. IMHO

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers