U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,587,967 times

Advertisements

I've been trying for months to get my files copied to flash drives, nothing works. I get a message saying "You do not have the authority to do this." I am the administrator of my computer, I checked that. Now I'm trying to copy some files to zip disks - not copy but 'save as' - and I get the same message. And these are zip disks I've already used and have other files on, using the same computer. So far, the only way I can copy anything is on CD, but after the first CD, it keeps burning in the same stuff I put on the first one, no matter what I do.

I use Corel 11 for word processing, and have some old files from various versions of wordPerfect back to pre-Windows days. The same files I was looking at a month ago now show up as gibberish when I open them. Any ideas? I called Corel and was told they provide support only for the two most recent versions, which 11 certainly is not.

Last but not least, is there ANY way to remove Smiley Central without trashing the whole Google tool bar? I have about 50 pages of stuff bookmarked that I'd rather not lose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 03:18 PM

28,718 posts, read 42,734,677 times
Smiley Central removal (garbage program)

PC Hell: Smiley Central Removal Instructions

Read the entire article before starting. Whether or not it will cause problems with Google Toolbar I'm not sure. I would doubt it, but I don't use toolbars (of any kind!) so I don't know for sure.

As for the rest - you don't mention having any programs for anti-virus, malware, firewall, etc. Do you? If not run an online scanner.

Google

Any of the top four or five are good.

Download and run Malwarebytes. I've read that running it multiple times (if it finds anything) with a reboot in between is a good practice. Do until it does not report finding anything.

Malwarebytes.org

I would also recommend running Ccleaner, but be aware of what it removes before clicking on Run in the lower right corner of the program. It deletes a lot of Internet history, etc that you may want to keep. There is a list on the left of what it removes that you can go through and uncheck items you want to keep. Go through both the Windows and the Applications tabs.

Download CCleaner 2.29.1111 - FileHippo.com

Top right corner. Ignore the next page and wait for the gray download box top open. Ccleaner can also overwrite what it deletes if you want added protection against someone seeing what you removed. In the Options portion click on Settings and click on Secure file deletion. I use 3 passes. I also have Wipe MFT Free Space checked.

After doing all this try again and see if it works.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,587,967 times
I have Spybot, AdAware, and AVG. That's all, as far as I know. There are tons of programs listed in the registry, about 98% of which I don't have, never had, don't ever plan to have, but I'm not sure about cleaning the registry. With my luck recently, whatever I get rid of will be something that's integral to something I think is unrelated. I have my preferences set to dump all internet temp files when the computer is shut down, but the history doesn't seem to get very full at any time. Any site with heavy graphics slows it down to the point where it will stall and nothing will respond, so if I visit any of those sites - like facebook - I shut down and reboot.

It's a seriously old computer, a P 3 with 186K RAM, rebuilt and jacked up many times, and has 2 hard drives.

Thanks for the links.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,530,937 times
spybot and adaware are both outdated and not great spyware removal programs like they use to be.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 AM

28,718 posts, read 42,734,677 times
Considering the PC you should really run Ccleaner. It also has a registry cleaner built in that I use regularly with no ill results. If you use the registry cleaner back it up the only the FIRST time you run it, then run it repeatedly until it shows nothing in the review panel, or the same thing over and over.

If you run it again, say in a month, back up the registry again the first time it runs.

Dumping all Internet temp files is a good thing, but Ccleaner will rid it of a lot more junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers