U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 PM

12,019 posts, read 27,476,222 times

Advertisements

My son has an Emachine and it was working fine until the lid was slammed shut yesterday. The laptop wouldn't recognize the OS. I switched out the Hard drive with mine. It began to boot up, but began to run startup repair. Once finished, it said it can't repair system. I put the Vista disk in, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,364,620 times
Yes, first thing, put the old hard drive back in and make sure it is plugged in correctly. It may have just been knocked loose. Then try to boot the machine. If you can't get it to recognize the hard drive, it is probably dead. You will not only need to get a new hard drive, but reinstall the OS from CD.

Hopefully that eMachine came with a restore CD of some kind that you can use to put it back to it's shipping state with a new hard drive, if necessary.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Yes, first thing, put the old hard drive back in and make sure it is plugged in correctly. It may have just been knocked loose. Then try to boot the machine. If you can't get it to recognize the hard drive, it is probably dead. You will not only need to get a new hard drive, but reinstall the OS from CD.

Hopefully that eMachine came with a restore CD of some kind that you can use to put it back to it's shipping state with a new hard drive, if necessary.
It didn't come with a restore CD. Apparentely there are supposed to be 3 discs. I downloaded a restore Cd, but I don't think it has everything I nee. I thik part of the problem is that it doesn't have the drivers.

BTW, I put my HD back in my laptop and now my computer keeps trying to boot up, but won't. The microsoft corporation bar keeps going????

UGH!

Last edited by beckycat; 04-02-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 AM

3,685 posts, read 8,553,440 times
Unless your laptop and your son's are identical, swapping his hard drive for yours was a really bad idea.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,364,620 times
yeah, that's the next problem.

When you put your hard drive into your son's computer, Windows booted up and said, "WHOA, look at all this new hardware! I have to completely reconfigure all my stuff to work!"

Sometimes that works and Windows gets through it successfully. Sometimes it doesn't. In either case, it had to do it again when you put it back in your laptop. Windows is probably unrecoverably confused.

So you need to run the restore CD for your son's computer *and* the restore for your laptop.

You're pretty close to "call my geek buddy and ply him with beer and hookers" time.

Maybe not the hookers.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 PM

I got my laptop up and working. I think I'm just going to buy a new hard drive for my son's computer and intall Vista from scratch. I'm pretty sure that the hd is the problem.

I tried reinstalling Vista on my son's computer with my hd and it freezes when it's 3/4 of the way of completing the installation. I've done it 3 three times and it freezes in the same spot. Don't know why that is happening b/c the Vista disk works in my laptop.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:49 PM

803 posts, read 2,638,078 times
This maybe useful to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ml#post6115318

I'd recommend reading through this article and going to to TestDisk when you feel ready to:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
This maybe useful to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ml#post6115318

I'd recommend reading through this article and going to to TestDisk when you feel ready to:

TestDisk - CGSecurity
I downloaded it to Winrar, but I'm having trouble burning it onto a disk. Could you refresh my memory about burning a disk from Winrar? I ried burning it through Windows media player and directly off the desktop and no luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM

803 posts, read 2,638,078 times
Open Winar. Got to FILE>OPEN> scroll to the location where the TestDisk zip file is located, the desktop if I read you correctly. You should see a bunch of files. Select all of them, click on the EXTRACT button. You'll be prompted for a location. Make a new folder in C:\temp\TestDisk to extract to.
Once done go to C:\temp, right click on that folder. SEND TO>Your CD Burner. Little balloon by the clock will tell you, you have files ready to write to disk. Click on it, the CD-Burner explorer folder will open. Click on FILE> Write these files to CD, follow prompts...

Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 PM

I was able to burn it, but my laqptop doesn't read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers