U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

34,106 posts, read 24,456,676 times

Advertisements

If you were going to get a new PC laptop in the next few weeks what brand and model would you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,991,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
If you were going to get a new PC laptop in the next few weeks what brand and model would you get?
I have had many different brands of laptops in my day. Gateway, Compaq, HP, Dell and Acer.

Of those, I liked the HP best of all. However, the next one I am going to try is a Sony Vaio.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,367,084 times
Asus or Lenovo, a good mid-range model, and take the option to max out the memory.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,460,804 times
The next one I'm getting is an HP. I like Dell computers too, and don't like Lenovo. I've never had an Asus computer, but would be willing to consider one.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM

8,955 posts, read 18,095,323 times
While not a PC the little 13" Macbook is one of the best laptops out there. Tough, very able, ,virus free, and a great rock solid operating system.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM

15,220 posts, read 18,605,981 times
Just bought this about a week ago:

Fry's Toshiba 15.6" Laptop / AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor M300

Pretty good deal, but the audio sucks - if you need to use the laptop speakers with any regularity, pick something else. My last laptop was a Compaq (HP), which was a great machine.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,316,641 times
I typically use the Dell outlet (refurb, scratch and dent), often free shipping, easy support, and what I really like is the filters (drop down boxes) on the interface so I can filter on amount of memory, screen size, etc. I don't do a lot of high performance computing other than AVCHD video editing (in which case I just let it process in the background or overnight) so basically just looking for (memory, battery life, screen size) divided by price.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:01 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,968,790 times
Probably Lenovo from their outlet. They've got some great deals and I've also been pleased with the performance of the IBM machines. Very reliable, not a lot of junk programs installed and useful utilities.
I'm also fond of Fujitsu.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:10 PM

702 posts, read 1,000,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Funny you should ask. I'm in the same boat right now.

My answer would be: it depends if you "need" Windows or not.

I was just using my wife's office-issued Dell Vostro and .... I would try to get a Mac if it fits the budget.

My son is asking for his own laptop now. I was initially thinking of getting him a cheap Dell or HP (say, $500 to 700 range). But I've seen my fellow dads waste their time cleaning and rebuilding their kids laptops from all the malware and virus their kids laptops get. Sometimes, they've had to do it twice a year.

So I've had to rethink my choice.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a new laptop and giving him my old and trusty Mac Powerbook G4-15 (since he's always borrowing it anyway). It's already loaded with all the software he needs.

First choice: a 13-inch Macbook Pro. Standard configuration. No bells and whistles. No upgrades. For about $1200 bucks. Refurb, if I can find it. I don't need a larger screen. And I don't need the power of a better CPU or larger hard drive or better video card.

Or go cheap with:

Second choice: A bare laptop from MSI which I'll then load OSX Snow Leopard have a Hackintosh. (Don't forget to stick the original Apple-issued sticker on the laptop to satisfy the Apple EULA "This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.")

Third choice: a Dell or HP refurb, with nothing preloaded. I'll load it myself with Ubuntu 9.10 and Win 7. I hate the crap that comes pre-loaded with some laptops.

Last choice: A new Dell or HP preloaded with Windows 7 and other software.

I still have my Mac Powerbook G4 15-inch that I bought in late 2005 and it works flawlessly. Ownership experience has been excellent! Not a single problem with it. I use it daily, at home and when I travel. I must have rebooted it maybe 4 or 5 times since 2005, if that. I can't put a price on that.

My wife's office gave her a Dell Vostro recently (I forget the model). I can't stand it. No back-lit keyboard. No 2-finger scrolling. Okay, I updated the driver and the one-finger-on-the-right-edge scrolling works, but it's not smooth. It's an ALPS touchpad, not Synaptics, so there's no 2-finger scrolling solution yet.

Of course, I understand that I can get a much better model if I pay $1200 bucks. But I don't need Windows. I'm happy with Ubuntu.

I guess it depends on what you get used to.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:19 PM

442 posts, read 855,824 times
Since the OP is in the market and I am trying to relate this question to the post, of which I am not doing very well so here it goes-----what is the reason behind the Mac being so expensive over the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers