Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM

496 posts, read 1,692,100 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and I seem to have a hard time watching videos online. I mean I can watch them but everytime I do I can never watch the whole thing without it reloading every 5 seconds (I have this problem with youtube especially). Now I'm trying to watch CSI Miami online and it keeps stopping every five seconds and I can't watch the complete episode without it doing this. Advice please! It's so frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,394,035 times
It sounds like your Internet isn't fast enough or your computer is bogged down doing something else in the background. Go to speedtest.net, run a test to the server closest to you and post the results.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,654,394 times
Best thing to do when streaming movies over the internet is to pause it when it firsts starts and come back later. Hopefully it will have downloaded a good portion of the movie.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,617,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It sounds like your Internet isn't fast enough or your computer is bogged down doing something else in the background. Go to speedtest.net, run a test to the server closest to you and post the results.

I've noticed what the original poster describes too, even though my throughput is pretty high (5-13 mbps measured). Could be Youtube not being able to deliver? For example when downloading files or whatever sometimes the download is fast, sometime it isn't.

And yes, the only solution seems to be to hit pause and buffer a lot of content, then hit play.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,394,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've noticed what the original poster describes too, even though my throughput is pretty high (5-13 mbps measured). Could be Youtube not being able to deliver? For example when downloading files or whatever sometimes the download is fast, sometime it isn't.

And yes, the only solution seems to be to hit pause and buffer a lot of content, then hit play.
I've noticed the same thing with Youtube at certain hours of the day. But the last time I found that every video site kept pausing like RealPlayer on dialup in 1996, I checked and my speed was terribly slow. Rebooting my router fixed it.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,941,489 times
Assuming your connection is very fast if you are using FF this seems to be a problematic issue with a lot of people, try it in IE to see if problem still exists.

If it goes away using IE I'd suggest backing up your bookmarks in FF, nuke the FF installation and reinstall fresh. This seems to have helped in my situation to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers