Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times

Advertisements

I'm running into significant problems with network connectivity.

I'm running two XP desktops, two Win 7 desktops, and two Vista laptops, plus two Xbox 360s and one PS3.

There seems to be a problem somewhere in the chain with several machines.

PC1 (seven) > Switch1 > Router > Modem
PC2 (XP) > Router > Modem
Xbox1 > Switch1 > Router > Modem
Xbox 2 > Switch2 > Router > Modem

The problem is fixed whenever I power cycle the router. Normally the router is in an non accessible location, but I've since moved it. Anyone have any ideas?

Whenever I lose the connection, I can't get it back short of resetting the router or power cycling my computer. It's easier for me to cycle the router. I can't access the router (although my computer still states that I have a connection), and I can't access the internet.

I recently looked at the network map provided by Windows Seven when I had a failure and it looked like my computer was connecting through my Xbox instead of the router. I don't know how accurate that is of representing my problem.

Anyone have ideas? It's driving me insane. I've tried my usual tricks, but without a connection to the router, I don't know what to do. I think the problem may be client-side, considering my Xbox's still connect flawlessly when my main machine is having problems. The drivers are all up-to-date as well on the ethernet connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I'm running into significant problems with network connectivity.

I'm running two XP desktops, two Win 7 desktops, and two Vista laptops, plus two Xbox 360s and one PS3.

There seems to be a problem somewhere in the chain with several machines.

PC1 (seven) > Switch1 > Router > Modem
PC2 (XP) > Router > Modem
Xbox1 > Switch1 > Router > Modem
Xbox 2 > Switch2 > Router > Modem

The problem is fixed whenever I power cycle the router. Normally the router is in an non accessible location, but I've since moved it. Anyone have any ideas?

Whenever I lose the connection, I can't get it back short of resetting the router or power cycling my computer. It's easier for me to cycle the router. I can't access the router (although my computer still states that I have a connection), and I can't access the internet.

I recently looked at the network map provided by Windows Seven when I had a failure and it looked like my computer was connecting through my Xbox instead of the router. I don't know how accurate that is of representing my problem.

Anyone have ideas? It's driving me insane. I've tried my usual tricks, but without a connection to the router, I don't know what to do. I think the problem may be client-side, considering my Xbox's still connect flawlessly when my main machine is having problems. The drivers are all up-to-date as well on the ethernet connection.
Yep, let me guess it is a Linksys POS router, they are notorious for turning into bricks and need a power cycle to revive them. If it is a model that will run DD-WRT firmware, go that route, otherwise go buy anything else on the market (Netgear, DLink, etc), preferably one that can run DD-WRT if you decide to upgrade it.

If I'm all wet, and you don't have a Linksys, it is still the router.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yep, let me guess it is a Linksys POS router, they are notorious for turning into bricks and need a power cycle to revive them. If it is a model that will run DD-WRT firmware, go that route, otherwise go buy anything else on the market (Netgear, DLink, etc), preferably one that can run DD-WRT if you decide to upgrade it.

If I'm all wet, and you don't have a Linksys, it is still the router.
Well-it's Linksys. I haven't had any problems with it until the last few weeks, which is rather bizarre. If the machine is bricking on me, how is running DD-WRT going to work, exactly?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Well-it's Linksys. I haven't had any problems with it until the last few weeks, which is rather bizarre. If the machine is bricking on me, how is running DD-WRT going to work, exactly?
DD-WRT is an alternative operating system, or firmware for the router. It is more stable.

There is a chance it is a hardware problem, but likely a flaw (bug) in the Linksys firmware. You might also check to see if there is a firmware update from Linksys.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Need a bit more information here.

First, I am assuming your switch is just a standard Linksys or like brand?

Your router you mentioned is a Linksys as well, likely it is also a router/gateway which means it provides DHCP functions.

Your modem, is it just a simple cable/DSL modem or is it a combo unit that also has router/gateway functionality?

As for your setup, it should be devices > switch > router > modem. If your modem is also a gateway/router, drop your other router and just hook up to that as the switch will provide your device pass through and you really want everything connected to that anyway for efficiency and dedicated connection between devices.

It also depends on your configurations as well as the capabilities of your devices.

If your router and your modem have DHCP functionality, then there could be a problem with one of them being a rogue DHCP server. This is a common problem with connection issues as the rogue DHCP will supply randomly based on various circumstances different IP addresses to different machines, effectively placing the machines in different subnets which could create some routing issues depending on setup.

First, when the problem occurs, you need to do an ipconfig /all so you can see the settings of each of your network cards. This will help identify where the problem is likely to be.

Look for DHCP enabled, make sure it is the correct range of addresses it should be. If you see a the address in a range of 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.254 then your machine has failed to obtain an address from the DHCP server and is using Automatic Private IP addressing which would account for it being unable to connect to the internet (its a not routable IP address) yet possibly being able to communicate with other clients.

If the IP addresses are fine, then go through the motions of standard network troubleshooting.

First ping 127.0.0.1 of one of your machines, this is your IP stack and will tell you if TCP-IP is working as it should, if not reinstall TCP-IP.

Next, ping the address of your Network card, this will tell you that the card is working, if not, reinstall the drivers for the card.

Next ping your default gateway (your routers interface or IP address). IF that is working, you have connectivity to the device and it is working up to it. If not, check your settings on the router (is it DHCP and enabled with the proper address for the gateway within the range of your client IP address?, if static, is the gateway address in the same subnet as your clients, etc...

If everything is fine up to there, it is likely an issue between the router and the modem (depending on if the modem is more than simply that it may be a hardware issue).

To eliminate the problems, first connect a machine to the modem itself and test it. If everything works, then it is likely an issue with the router. Check your ports, configurations, etc...

It really is hard to give ya an idea without knowing the specific capabilities of your devices. Like I said, if the modem is more than that, there is some issues you will run into while trying to pass through between them. There are special considerations concerning how they are configured between each other due to their capabilities and this ranges from everything from software to which ports you are using between the devices. For instance, some devices will function depending on configuration through both the WAN port and a hub/switch interface on the router.

Also note that many devices have a keep alive they send between them which tells the devices they are still there and working. How they are connected together and how they are configured can result in some odd issues of intermittent problems.

Best thing to do though is to check your documentation and see exactly what their recommended device connections and capabilities are. Some ISP's warn against placing a router between their device due to these issues (mostly it is because their device is not simply a modem, but a combination of a gateway/router/switch).

Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Router: Linksys WRT54G2.

The modem is just a standard modem. One port with two phone lines. I can grab the model number, but it's basically the same thing Comcast hands out to all its costumers.

All of the IPs are reading back to the router (192.168.1.1xx), and I don't have any IP conflicts, so the router is handing them out correctly. Usually I /release, /flushdns, /renew when I have a connection problem as it is the fastest way that works most of the time. Recently, however, the router seems to have been giving me the trouble.

I suspect it is the router considering that multiple machines will have this problem at the same time. Machines are on different switches--sometimes it's an Xbox and a PC, other times it is two PCs, or two Xboxs, etc. Not all of the machines lose connectivity either, it's only a couple while the rest work just fine.

Thanks for all the info you gave me, but I've tried most of it. I haven't pinged the router yet, but considering I can't access it's web interface, I assume it isn't making that connection.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM

269 posts, read 910,937 times
I had the same problem with a couple Linksys routers. Switched brands and now everything is fine. Wouldn't have thought since Linksys/Cisco normally make great equipment. Going to stop buying them for now and see in a few years if they are getting better.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Router: Linksys WRT54G2.

The modem is just a standard modem. One port with two phone lines. I can grab the model number, but it's basically the same thing Comcast hands out to all its costumers.

All of the IPs are reading back to the router (192.168.1.1xx), and I don't have any IP conflicts, so the router is handing them out correctly. Usually I /release, /flushdns, /renew when I have a connection problem as it is the fastest way that works most of the time. Recently, however, the router seems to have been giving me the trouble.

I suspect it is the router considering that multiple machines will have this problem at the same time. Machines are on different switches--sometimes it's an Xbox and a PC, other times it is two PCs, or two Xboxs, etc. Not all of the machines lose connectivity either, it's only a couple while the rest work just fine.

Thanks for all the info you gave me, but I've tried most of it. I haven't pinged the router yet, but considering I can't access it's web interface, I assume it isn't making that connection.
That is odd. I read a few reviews on the model and it apparently has an issue with dropping connections, though I was unsure if this was the wireless portion of it (thought it could be). Seems like a pure device issue. It acts similar to that of a broadcast storm, but you don't seem to have any redundancies, so that doesn't seem to be it.

Linksy's has had similar issues with other models over the years with it dropping connections, requiring reboots, etc...

Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I saw it as very straight forward, he power cycles the router and connectivity restored, it is the router.

My assumption it was a linksys is based on experience with these POS.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I saw it as very straight forward, he power cycles the router and connectivity restored, it is the router.

My assumption it was a linksys is based on experience with these POS.
I just go through the motions though eliminating any other factors as my assumptions in the past have got me into trouble. Though with this issue, that assumption is likely a safe bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers