U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,385,680 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen this in the previous umpteen pages, so...

My old computer just got virusized. Fortunately, I have another one that hadn't been hooked up to the net, even more fortunately, I'd made a back-up of everything on the old one not long ago. Moving everything from the back-up CD went fine, then it wouldn't eject. After unplugging the computer for awhile then turning it on again, I used the 'eject' button in the media player - I have XP Pro - that worked.

Now, the computer doesn't recognize when there's a CD in the drive, which means I can't install a printer driver or several other things that need a CD to install. What do I do to get the computer to read the CD?

And it would be much easier for me if someone would DM me their phone # so I could call and have them walk me through it. I have a very hard time reading anything less than 22 point font.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 AM

7,375 posts, read 13,095,382 times
Maybe its just the autoplay that is disabled. Have you tried going into my computer and double clicking the cd or right clicking and running the cd from there?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Maybe its just the autoplay that is disabled. Have you tried going into my computer and double clicking the cd or right clicking and running the cd from there?
Autoplay is not disabled. I've tried everything I can think of, all I get is a message box telling me to insert a disk into the drive - when the disk is IN the drive. I've tried opening and closing the drive and that doesn't make any difference, either.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 AM

11,973 posts, read 11,436,282 times
You may consider opening the case (with the power cord unplugged) and check to make sure the data cable is securely connected to the CD drive. Things do work loose sometimes.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM

7,375 posts, read 13,095,382 times
Have you removed the virus? Just realized you said your cd is not reading because of a possible virus.

Is the cd drive recognized by windows still?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Have you removed the virus? Just realized you said your cd is not reading because of a possible virus.

Is the cd drive recognized by windows still?
Yes, Windows recognizes the CD drive and says it's working properly.

The virus was on a different machine, it's conpletely non functional unless I can get it cleaned at some future time. All of the .exe files are corrupted, and while it starts up and shows Windows, nothing else will open or run, Right now it's just one more expensive paperweight.

I haven't even considered opening it and checking anything, because (a) I can't see well enough to tell if anything is wrong, and (b) it's black which makes (a) even worse, and (c) I have no idea HOW to open it in the first place.

Sighing with frustration.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM

6,399 posts, read 10,905,151 times
It sounds like the Drive itself is damaged, laser could have been pushed out of alignment or the lens got damaged, etc. Since the problem started after the last time you inserted a CD, chances are it got damaged then and the fact that you had trouble getting it out sort of backs that theory up.

If you tried a few different CDs then the chances are the drive is indeed at fault.

If this is a PC, you could try laying the machine sideways so that the CD Drive is at a 90 degree vertical position then try a CD to see if it helped or not.

Try these as suggested on this site:

Quote:
Why won't my CD or DVD drive recognize my disc?
If your CD/DVD drive is having trouble recognizing a disc:
1. If you know the disc isn't blank, check whether the data surface is damaged. There will be obvious scratches if the disc is too damaged to read; if there's any doubt, then the surface is probably not damaged enough to be unreadable. An excessively scratched disc will not be read by any device. Polishing kits are available which may restore your disc's readability. However, UITS has not tested any of them, and therefore cannot provide any advice on their effectiveness.
2. Try a different disc. This will test whether the CD-ROM drive itself is at fault. If multiple discs fail to be recognized, it's likely there is a problem with the CD-ROM drive.
If you are using Windows XP or newer, you can attempt to boot from the Windows OS installation disc, just to make an access attempt without an operating system in the way. Booting from the disc involves only the BIOS, the drive, and the boot sector on the disc itself. If you can boot from the disc, but Windows cannot read it, it indicates a problem with your drive or Windows rather than the disc.
If you have a faulty drive, replace it.
3. Try the disc in another computer's drive. This will determine only the integrity of the disc, not whether your drive will read it. If your disc still won't work in your drive, but will in another, then continue to the next step. However, if the disc doesn't work in any computer, it's probably defective and should be replaced.
4. Try cleaning the drive with a CD/DVD drive cleaning product. You should do this only with a product specifically made for this purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or