Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I should note that this isn't always the case. I took a test to get into my magnet high school and my close friends also got in because they received high scores on the test. My high school started accepting students via lottery only after spots were filled by students that took the test and got high marks.
No, CT Magnet schools are open to all students. There is no acceptance test.

And yes, as the above poster stated, a lottery system is used to fill seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:54 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williampudoso View Post
My good sirs, these "magnet schools" you speak of are nothing more than the intrusion of "normal" schools who blend the higher intelligence with the lower intelligence.

I recommend to the sir who speaks of a school with a "higher cirricula standard" to think otherwise. Not to cause an outrage, but your son/daughter will be nothing more than a shroud in the said Magnet School. An example of this is Conte West Hills in New Haven, CT. I have done research upon these magnet schools who take the higher intelligent students and force useless information down their throats, filling their heads with trinkets and thoughts of success, which blinds them from the real world, where hard work is just as important as intelligence, although these kids are intelligent, the lack of work they are provided make them vulnerable to later education.

In conclusion, I highly recommend choosing a school in any other environment than a progressive school. If your child wishes to be successful as you do, they will take what they have in education and transform into a successful civilian, no matter what educational system is brought about.
Sometimes I come on here and all I can say is WOW....granted I don't know everything about all magnet schools and I take some issue with their purpose and funding, but since my wife works in one I can say that you are completely off base saying this about "all" magnet schools. Also, since I have actually examined test scores comparing some of our local magnet schools to some of the "better" schools in the Hartford area I can tell you that students in the magnet schools I looked at score similar if not better in most categories.

Also, your comment about higher intelligence vs lower intelligence? Really? Lower intelligence or possibly less opportunity or parental involvement? Goes along with my biggest pet peeve which are people who categorize schools as "good" schools and "bad" schools when they should actually be categorizing them as "involved" parents and "not invloved" parents.

Also, magnet schools are by lottery, not by testing. Also, if you are a teacher through CREC your child can attend a magnet school without lottery and without neccessarily living in a town/city that services a magnet school.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Sometimes I come on here and all I can say is WOW...
Read this://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...l#post14544988.

Is the picture a little clearer now?

I wish the kids were not aloud(sic) access to the internet during study hall and detention.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

I wish the kids were not aloud(sic) access to the internet during study hall and detention.

Yes - crystal clear. You are truly awesome. Why oh why can't I rep you??!!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
Quote:

I can't rep you again either - too funny!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,898 times
Quote:

wow stratford. wow.

LOL

Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
SCR, my good sir, thank you for taking the "oppurtinity" to share that link! (sorry, I can't rep you again, either)

Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 10,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I take offense to what you have said about progressive and magnet schools. I entered into a Talented and Gifted program in the 4th grade (TAG) and started reading Shakespeare/discussing politics in the 5th grade. When I attended Central Magnet High School in Bridgeport, I took 5 Advanced Placement courses (AP art history, english comprehension, english writing, physics, and psychology.) I also had friends who took AP computer programming and chemistry. I was given academic opportunities that students in the basic elementary and high schools did not have by attending a "progressive" program when I was young and a magnet school when I was older, and I busted my bottom to get 5's on my AP exams (and a full scholarship to college!) To assume that children in progressive schools do not know that "hard work is just as important as intelligence" is insulting to those of us who have worked hard to get where we are.

To the OP, I second Jay's suggestion to look into the Newtown Waldorf School. The Discovery Museum in Bridgeport will also be opening a science-based magnet school in the next year or two. If you have a young child, you may want to think about contacting the museum to hear more about the school. Good luck!
This is my exact point. This so called TAG program is nothing more than a conversion of the program that exists around other states, like CA's GATE program.

Im not saying your a blunderhead for being in TAG, im saying other schools are being put at a disadvantage. State test scores are completly different on the scales for schools. While the magnet schools are funded the most of taxpayer money and federal grants, other schools suffer, and crack under pressure due to the oversized classes of people who maybe arent as intelligent or dont care for school.

This causes schools to be closed and more and more kids become uneducated. Where is the step forward to a bright future at this point? You can take as many AP classes as you want, but that doesnt make you any better than anyone around you, a diploma is nothing more than a piece of paper declaring you kissed the governments ass at making other kids be the bottom of society. I have suffered in the same position, but I got myself out, without the help of some pathetic "get ahead" program.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The problem with magnet schools is that not every child is automatically accepted. So people move into a city thinking, "it's okay that the public system is unacceptable, I will send my child to a magnet school". But students are accepted by lottery into magnet schools, so not all who apply are accepted. Years ago we lived in a city and applied to a magnet school, but we did not "win" the lottery drawing.
Unless you're mother happens to be a tenured teacher in "the system" with all the right contacts, and the rest of your' immediate family works in the "system" as well...then your kids "win" the lottery and you put them in pre-K (Age 3) and get free state funded daycare and save $3000.00 per month.

Oh yes, I'm very serious. This is the situation in my in-laws home. It's just so funny that they applied and voilà - in, both kids. "So ah, N*****, how DID you guys get in so easily? Especially when the lottery was closed?" "Oh, I know the superXYZ who's running the X program and talked to Y and they got me in the lottery." "ohhh, and you just happened to "win" out of X thousands of people eh? What are the odds."

What a joke... Not that I would want any of my children in public school these days, especially something riddled with progressivism where our history is being rewritten etc but still, it's a sham.

Quote:

LOL - oh, my...

Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 AM

When one child is accepted by lottery into a magnet school - siblings are automatically accepted - FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut