Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:21 AM

45 posts, read 161,200 times

Advertisements

i just need the cable(HD and Digital) service and some decent internet speed/ Cox costs me 126$ and taxes.Are there any other options?(in manchester.ct)

Cox TV preferrred 64$+DVR 18$+ Internet preferred 44$- Total 126$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Only other option is At&T i believe. They are roughly the same price.'

You can call cox and tell them you are switching to Direct TV because they are too expensive and they will normally offer you cheaper rates when you threaten to switch over.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Comcast?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
Most towns only allow 1 cable company and 1 phone company (they give them priority right of way - a huge anti-competitive scam in my eyes, but anyway). If Cox is the player in your town, your only alternative is the phone company or satellite. I've been using AT&T Uverse, and I'm much happier than I was with Cablevision. It's similar to Verizon FIOS, but AT&T as usual took the cheap way out and is only running fiber to the neighborhood, then plain old copper to your house. FIOS primarily does fiber to the house, which allows for much higher bandwidth. I'd look into 1 of those. I don't know much about satellite offering, but AFAIK they are decent for TV, lousy for internet. You might be able to mix satellite for TV and DSL (or even stay with Cox) for internet.

If you threaten to leave, go armed with exactly the offering and charges available - the cable co will usually offer to match the deal, but will lock you in for at least another year. On a side note, at $18/mo for DVR - you might want to look into an alternative. Besides Tivo there are some other options out there you can use, and ROI at that rate will probably be a year or less.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Most of my family in Fairfield HATE Cablevision. It seems everytime I am there they are talking about the latest changes in service and what stations they are about to lose. Plus their customer service really stinks. I keep telling them to complain to the town which regulates what cable company is allowed but they don't. I guess it is just easier to complain than to do something about it. One Family member swears that they will switch to AT&T as soon as they are in their neighborhood. I guess their service is not available everywhere in town just yet. Jay

Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM

207 posts, read 452,494 times
here is another option for you
Cirago CMC1000 1TB Media Center w/ Wireless USB Adapter, Remote Control and Stand - CMC1100 - Buy.com
It hooks up to your TV and you can use it in place of your DVR its $200 bucks but it will pay for itself also has a 1 TB hard drive so it has a lot more memory and you can back up your PC with it too.

Also If you have an LCD or Plasma TV you can hook up you PC to it and get rid of cable all together there are a ton of sites where you can watch the same TV shows that you watch on cable. Some are pay sites but you are able to pick what you want to watch... kind of "ala carte". That is what we do and now we only pay for internet. here is a good site to check out if you are interested
Clicker.com - Watch TV Shows and Movies Online It is basically a search engine for TV shows it will separate the pay and free sites too.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
I have Netflix and just purchased an HD antenna. Cable costs became way too high for me.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Most of my family in Fairfield HATE Cablevision. It seems everytime I am there they are talking about the latest changes in service
They now require everyone to have a box or a cablecard to receive service. They'll give you a box at no charge for a year, but thereafter, it's going to cost ~$7/month for it. They're crooks.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
They now require everyone to have a box or a cablecard to receive service. They'll give you a box at no charge for a year, but thereafter, it's going to cost ~$7/month for it. They're crooks.
They have also slowly reduced the number of channels you could get without a cable box. The old folks would complain every month that this was being taken away or that would require you to get the box. I mean this was a weekly conversation. It was really annoying particularly for the elderly who rely on their TV's for entertainment. Jay

Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yup.... it's only a matter of time before I dump the cable/phone co's entirely for TV service. I'm just waiting to 1) see what Hulu does with their upcoming subscription service, and 2) going to test an HD antenna for basic broadcast TV. There are some really nice devices out there that pull data off the Internet, but they aren't quite high enough quality. Within a year, though, I think we'll be much better off. GoogleTV, AppleTV, BoxeeBox... something will make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut