Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 PM

51 posts, read 194,025 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband just accepted a new position, so we're relocating to CT next year. Since I'm originally from MA, so I'm excited about getting back to NE. DH will be moving in the spring, and the rest of us will move when school gets out. So far, we know that dh will be working in Stratford and we're planning to send ds to St. Joe's (he attends Catholic school here).

We'll be flying up to do some house hunting in October, but we're starting our exploration now. Any insight into which areas we should look at? We'd love to be able to find something in the $350K-$500K range. Looking for around 3BR and 2BA in a decent area. We've been checking out Trumbull, Shelton and Stratford (leaning towards Trumbull and Shelton). Does this sound like the right strategy, or are there other areas we should be looking at? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 PM

13 posts, read 181,601 times
For the price, yes

Try also Monroe as well.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:08 PM

999 posts, read 4,637,650 times
I lived in Stratford for 14+yrs as an adult, also some time as a child. If you're sending your son to Catholic school, then the school issue is moot, a good thing, as, in my opinion that's the worst part of Stratford right now. I think you'll get more for your money in Stratford right now than in the other towns, however resale will be affected if they don't turn the schools around. That said, the schools are not horrible, if my husband had not switched jobs we'd still be there, but they cannot compete with nearby towns and it hurts folks trying to sell, hence the more for your money there. The towns are very different, with a different feel to each of them, so see what feels right for you. With your price range you can certainly find what you want in any of the towns.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 PM

575 posts, read 3,122,617 times
Trumbull is the nicer of the three. Nice residential neighborhoods and they have good shopping with the Trumbull Mall and a Target, etc.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:19 AM

2 posts, read 13,420 times
I would sggest Trumbull, I feel that you would build equity a a faster pace. Trumbull is a great family oriented town, abit of country, yet not to far from the city.

Last edited by Marka; 06-23-2007 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM

51 posts, read 194,025 times
Thanks for all of the info. Trumbull sounds like it might be a good place to start. Your right that we don't really care about the schools for our kids, since we'll be going the parochial route, but we do care for resale value if we have to relocate in the future (hoping we'll be there for a while though). I like the idea that it has a little more of a rural feel to it. I like to be close to the action, but not right on top of it. It'd be nice to be in the same town as St. Joe's also, for the school thing. Does anyone here have kids at/ know people with kids at St. Joe's? Any comments about the school?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM

999 posts, read 4,637,650 times
There were several teachers at my daughter's preschool (she's 8 now...) who had their children at St. Joes and loved it. Good luck!
Joan

Old 06-20-2007, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 26,930 times
I grew-up (18 years) in Stratford, in the beach town of Lordship. My brother and sister attended St. Joe's, while I went to Stratford High. St. Joe's is a great High School. Lordship was a great place to grow-up in. It's a couple of blocks from the ocean no matter where you live, if not lucky to live on the ocean as we did. We moved away for a few years to Europe, but mom a die-hard ocean girl, insisted we move back to Lordship. We moved to Denver for a couple of years, and again moved back to Lordship (5 houses in all in Lordship). My brother still owns a business in Lordship, and a home in North Stratford. It's a small beach community I feel worth your looking into. I was an alterboy and choir boy at Our Lady of Peace Church, my parents were very active in the church, and The Lordship Father's Club, which sponsor's many community fundraisers, picnics, variety shows, and family outings, etc. Lordship has three beaches, a gun club, municiple golf course, rollerskating rink, restaurants, pizza, and a deli. Oh, did I mention a lighthouse. and 5 minutes from the Bridgeport Airport, ten minutes from I-95. On the other hand, my other brother lived in Trumbull, Ct., and was a police officer there for many years. Trumbull is beautiful country, rolling hills, land around houses, and is where St. Joe's is located, and has a large mall, restaurants, etc. I hope I helped some. Although I live in Miami, Fl. (20 years), my heart always belongs to Stratford.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:30 PM

34,637 posts, read 56,403,363 times
Trumbull is clearly the nicest of the three towns you mentioned. It is considered to be an upscale suburb of Bridgeport with a lot of nice neighborhoods. It offers great shopping, parks and restaurants. The schools are considered to be very good, if not excellent. Because of this you will pay top dollar for a home there over the other two towns.

Shelton is nice but its past is based on industry that has long since virtually disappeared. About 25 years ago, Route 8 opened and Shelton exploded with new commercial and residential development. It was found to be an affordable alternative to high priced Fairfield County towns. that growth has created some traffic issues and caused some growing pains. Historically, schools were not considered very good in Shelton, but that has changed and they are improving. Still, Trumbull is considered the better town.

Stratford is a blue collar suburb of Bridgeport with several large industrial employers. It has some very nice neighborhoods and some iffy ones. The north end of Stratford (Oronoque and Putney) is very nice with beautiful homes. Paradise Green and Lordship are also very nice as well. Lordship is a beautiful area right on Long Island Sound, but it is located next to Sikorsky Airport so you need to expect to deal with airport issues if you choose to live there. Stratford has had some problems because several of its largest employers and taxpayers have left.

Any of these three towns would be good, but rating them for future resale, I'd go with Trumbull first, then Shelton and then Stratford. It all depends on what you expect to get for the money you can spend. Good luck. Jay

Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 AM

67 posts, read 226,778 times
The only thing that concerns me about what you have written is the price range. You should be able to do a 3BR in Trumbull for 500 but most of the homes there are 4br. Just be aware that they are planning a major rennovation of the highschool there that will raise taxes again. Also, I have heard rumour that the town is in desparate need of rennovating most all of there public buidings over the next few years which will again raise taxes. I am not 100% on that so perhaps someone with more info could weigh in...

All the towns you mentioned will please you I believe. Shelton has a better tax rate but again, a lot of 4br. You should do fine with you price range and find a 3br in Stratford but taxes are no bargain there as well.

I'll end by stating that you are looking in the right towns though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut