Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 AM

224 posts, read 351,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'm not too old and I've only been gone for 8 years, but Stamford has changed a lot since I was a kid growing up there. Here are some things I remember, that may be gone but are not forgotten. If any longtime residents are out there, help me out!

Bongiorno
Woolworth on Hope Street
Trinity Catholic when it was Stamford Catholic
Columbus Square and downtown as a hotbed of crime
When nobody in their right mind would build ANYTHING in the South End
Cool 96.7
Caldor Downtown
The Family Affair (This is in Norwalk, but close enough)
Duchess in Shippan
Southfield Village
John's Best Pizza, on Hope Street
A solid middle class (Firefighters, Nurses, Policemen could live where they worked)
Palmer's Market
Thom Serrani
The oil tanks on Southfield Ave
The Terrace Club

I'm young (27) but I remember all of those things except Thom Serrani & Trinity being Stamford catholic.

Duchess has been replaced by First County Bank
Oil Tanks replaced by housing
Terrace Club torn down, nothing built there yet.
Family Affair now is called The American Steakhouse
Southfield Village is now Southwood Square
Caldors is now Burlington Coat Factory
Woolworth's is now Bob's Furniture
Bongiorno is a PetSmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,273 times
Anyone have Miss Elam in the 6th Grade at J.J. Ryle? Got any Greenberg's Greenbacks? Recall the Chandler's on Park Row? The record store with booths where you could list to a disk you ight buy? The blacksmith shop just of Atlantic Square? Trolley tracks on brick streets in the middle of town? Presto's Bar & Grill? The circus train? . . .

Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,273 times
Before Southfield Village, before Bongiorno's and the New England Thruway, there were still the remnants of farms. The initial Southfield Village was built on the back portion of the farm that faced West Avenue. A few doors North, toward the Post Road, was Free's Florist. In the other direction, past Selleck Street, was the James' farm. I attended Rye school, and later Cloonan, when it was in the South End, and later Stamford HS (then the only HS in town). Each year the kids of Stamford went to Greenberg's with their parents to get their Easter outfits, and a few Greenberg's Greenbacks, coupons you could exchange for games or books. Stamford has changed significantly, but I'm glad to see people still garden on West Avenue, and that some of Laddin's Rock is still intact.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,011,028 times
I'm hoping to land a position to move back to Stamford after being away since 93. Have to laugh at Greenberg's Greenbacks. Those were such a big deal when I was a kid. And one of my first jobs was the parking booth collector at Caldor. What a dump that place was. I was making $1.65 an hour after school and being strongarmed for union dues.

I think the John's Pizza being discussed was across from Bongo's (now a Domino's/Subway). They served pan pizza, on a paper plate in a bag, no boxes. Later became Poseidon before burning down. I'm old enough to remember Leader's supermarket next to where the GAC is now (which itself used to be the Thunderbird Luncheonette). I remember the duckpin alleys underneath the State Theatre. Seemed like a third of Springdale worked at Machlett (now an ice rink). Bill & Fred's was our candy stop on the way home from school (to which we walked). Melfi's was the shot & beer joint, but they had tasty, greasy chili. Thom Serrani was a Springdale kid. Last saw him during his annual appearance at the Colony for St. Paddy's day while he was still mayor.

Times change. I think a lot of Stamford's have been for the good, although the real estate market has really encouraged some people to build hideous additions to their little houses on 50x150 lots.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,921,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm hoping to land a position to move back to Stamford after being away since 93. Have to laugh at Greenberg's Greenbacks. Those were such a big deal when I was a kid. And one of my first jobs was the parking booth collector at Caldor. What a dump that place was. I was making $1.65 an hour after school and being strongarmed for union dues.

I think the John's Pizza being discussed was across from Bongo's (now a Domino's/Subway). They served pan pizza, on a paper plate in a bag, no boxes. Later became Poseidon before burning down. I'm old enough to remember Leader's supermarket next to where the GAC is now (which itself used to be the Thunderbird Luncheonette). I remember the duckpin alleys underneath the State Theatre. Seemed like a third of Springdale worked at Machlett (now an ice rink). Bill & Fred's was our candy stop on the way home from school (to which we walked). Melfi's was the shot & beer joint, but they had tasty, greasy chili. Thom Serrani was a Springdale kid. Last saw him during his annual appearance at the Colony for St. Paddy's day while he was still mayor.

Times change. I think a lot of Stamford's have been for the good, although the real estate market has really encouraged some people to build hideous additions to their little houses on 50x150 lots.
The old Machlett site is actually a postal facility now.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,011,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The old Machlett site is actually a postal facility now.
Beg to differ. Machlett had the entire block where the ice rink/health club is now. I walked by it every day on my way to Springdale School. Machlett had some smaller buildings and their parking lot where the post office is now. Address was 1063 Hope St.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,921,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Beg to differ. Machlett had the entire block where the ice rink/health club is now. I walked by it every day on my way to Springdale School. Machlett had some smaller buildings and their parking lot where the post office is now. Address was 1063 Hope St.

www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/...rpts/135-197-1.pdf‎

"1063 Hope Street – This parcel was assigned a high risk because it formerly housed Machlett
Laboratories from the early 1930’s to the late 1980’s. A CTDEP PTP Form III and ELUR
have been filed for this parcel and adjoining parcels on Camp Avenue."

Tubes were most certainly buried beneath the property where that post office stands. It was "remediated", but still, the site was definitely contaminated.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,484 times
"Zantow Ferguson" worked for the company that was hired to do the liquidation sale in the mid eighties. At the time Stamford was the fastest growing city in the country. I remember the signs for help wanted starting at $10 to work in a mall store. The clerks were pretty rude they were not worried about getting fired and if they did they would just walk next door and get a job at that store. Zantow was such an old store had some of the most beautiful show cases and the jeweler they had was a funny guy Zavien sure I spelled that wrong.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:33 PM

10,324 posts, read 15,195,492 times
http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NR...s/86000472.pdf

http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NR...s/83003502.pdf

Enjoy!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:12 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,356,977 times
I remember Stamford in the 90s, very seedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut