Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM

35,122 posts, read 57,268,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
I remember Stamford in the 90s, very seedy.
Seedy??? I do not think I would ever call Stamford seedy. It may have a couple of questionable areas but that does not mean the entire city is seedy. Not even close. And back in the 90's was certainly not much different than today. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
I remember, I lived in Stamford and still do for 50 years........

St. John School
Woolworths
Record Rack (45's were 35 cents)
Johns Bargain Store
Sarners,
National Shhoes
Miles Shoes
Palace Theatre
Plaza Theatre
Walking home after 8 from basketball practice
Food Fair on South Street (now Washington Blvd)
Avon Theatre
State Theatre
Frankels
Cousins
Rice School
Ryle School

Kings on Market Street
Drag racing there at night
White Tower

Old 10-10-2016, 05:28 PM

10,301 posts, read 15,173,533 times
This video was shared with me on Facebook. This will sure bring some memories to quite a few people.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:58 PM

4,505 posts, read 3,404,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This video was shared with me on Facebook. This will sure bring some memories to quite a few people.

Thanks Antonio. I am looking for the older video from the Westside with the Pink Floyd "Time" music. I can't find it.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 793 times
Wow, thank you all for the trip down memory lane!

Anyone remember Bondi's?
Or the Roger Smith Hotel? My grandmother was the telephone operator at the hotel. She worked the switch board where you had to connect the wires to the designated room connections.

People used to gather at the Bloomingdale's automated Christmas window display and watch while it snowed.

C O Miller's they had the coolest elevator with an attendant. The Card Shop was across the street. The first McDonalds that opened up on West Park Pl, to the right of Curly's diner, burger fries and a coke and change back from your dollar!

The air raid siren that went off every Saturday at noon from the top of the original Town Hall and police station.

Does anyone remember the name of the diner at the corner of State St and Greenwich Ave? The train tracks ran right behind it.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,403 times
My grandfather used to be a buyer for C.O. Millers and my grandmother worked at the Ferguson library for years and years. Drag racing on King Street... I've got to read this whole thread so I don't repeat stuff.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,403 times
Cousins! I still have my leather jacket from there! I've been back regularly after I moved away in '85. There are still two Stamfords--south and north of the Merritt, though back in the day I might have put the border further south, maybe just north of Bullshead. Not really a fan of what they've done downtown, or the denser housing, but it is what it is, and some are fans.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Not so much remembering, but this definitely goes way back. Today I looked at a map of Stamford from the 1840’s and discovered a few things.

- Another name for Hollys Pond (yes, it had an S at the end) was Noroton Bay.
- The area now known as The Cove had the name “District No. 10.”
- Where now is Cove Island Park it says “Stamford Manufacturing Co.” and “Ginger Mill.”
- Stamford proper wasn’t just the current downtown, but also the South End/Harbor Point peninsula.
- At a section along the western coast of the South End peninsula it says “Steamboat Landing,” “oil works” and “pottery.”
- The West Side was originally named “West End District.”
- Near where W Broad St meets Stillwater Ave were the houses of J. W. Hubbard and G. M. Hubbard. I guess Hubbard’s Heights is named after them.
- The area around Bulls Head/Belltown was known as “Simsbury” and in what is now the Belltown area were the houses of several people with the last name Bell.
- The Glenbook area was named “New Hope.”
- Hope St was also known as Ponis St.
- The area around Dolphin Cove was known as “Stamford Point.”
- Many people around what is now Selleck St actually had that as their last name (Isaac Selleck, Jos Selleck, H. R. Selleck, etc.)
- Fairfield Ave was known as “Water View Place.”
- In the area where now is June Rd were the houses of several people with the June last name. All this time I thought that road was named after the month. Lol
- The area of Stamford Fort says “Fort Nonesense built by Gral. Waterbury during the Revolution.” With “Revolution” I guess it means the “Revolutionary War.”
- The Westover area was known as “Bang All.” Lol I can see why they change the name.
- Turn of River was actually Turn of the River.
- Newfield wasn’t one word but rather New Field.
- Throught town there were many houses that belong to people with the last names Hoyt, Scofield, Lockwood, Weed, Smith, Knapp among others.

Then it lists the following (not all.)
- Jno. G. Leeds, soap manufacturer.
- Cook & Lounsbury, manufacturer of women’s, misses’ and children’s fine shoes.
- E. S. Gifford, manufacturer of light and heavy wagons and carriages of all descriptions.
- Nelson Buxton, manufacturer of boots and shoes…

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

35,122 posts, read 57,268,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Not so much remembering, but this definitely goes way back. Today I looked at a map of Stamford from the 1840’s and discovered a few things.

- Another name for Hollys Pond (yes, it had an S at the end) was Noroton Bay.
- The area now known as The Cove had the name “District No. 10.”
- Where now is Cove Island Park it says “Stamford Manufacturing Co.” and “Ginger Mill.”
- Stamford proper wasn’t just the current downtown, but also the South End/Harbor Point peninsula.
- At a section along the western coast of the South End peninsula it says “Steamboat Landing,” “oil works” and “pottery.”
- The West Side was originally named “West End District.”
- Near where W Broad St meets Stillwater Ave were the houses of J. W. Hubbard and G. M. Hubbard. I guess Hubbard’s Heights is named after them.
- The area around Bulls Head/Belltown was known as “Simsbury” and in what is now the Belltown area were the houses of several people with the last name Bell.
- The Glenbook area was named “New Hope.”
- Hope St was also known as Ponis St.
- The area around Dolphin Cove was known as “Stamford Point.”
- Many people around what is now Selleck St actually had that as their last name (Isaac Selleck, Jos Selleck, H. R. Selleck, etc.)
- Fairfield Ave was known as “Water View Place.”
- In the area where now is June Rd were the houses of several people with the June last name. All this time I thought that road was named after the month. Lol
- The area of Stamford Fort says “Fort Nonesense built by Gral. Waterbury during the Revolution.” With “Revolution” I guess it means the “Revolutionary War.”
- The Westover area was known as “Bang All.” Lol I can see why they change the name.
- Turn of River was actually Turn of the River.
- Newfield wasn’t one word but rather New Field.
- Throught town there were many houses that belong to people with the last names Hoyt, Scofield, Lockwood, Weed, Smith, Knapp among others.

Then it lists the following (not all.)
- Jno. G. Leeds, soap manufacturer.
- Cook & Lounsbury, manufacturer of women’s, misses’ and children’s fine shoes.
- E. S. Gifford, manufacturer of light and heavy wagons and carriages of all descriptions.
- Nelson Buxton, manufacturer of boots and shoes…
Isn’t Dolphin Cove the name of a waterfront housing development built in the early 70’s? Is that whole area now called Dolphin Cove?

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

The place where today is located the gated community on the map says Bay Point. Within that area were the houses of J Davenport* and B F Cook.

Not in that area, but there is a Stamford public school called Davenport Ridge. Obviously, the school is named after that ridge, but then after whom is named the ridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut