Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM

10,093 posts, read 14,495,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You think it was better when downtown Stamford was an empty wasteland. You should then consider moving to any of the hundreds of abandoned cities across the country that would love even a 10th of the development that has occured in Stamford in the past 20 years. Stamford isn't the only place that has seen old stores close. Fortunately it has found new stores to take its place. Jay
That's absolutely true, Jay. Stamford is a very fortunate city. It is a rare city for its size to be so lively, full of corporations, new condo towers, and have the metro north train stop right downtown. Very lucky to have such a great place to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM

371 posts, read 1,568,196 times
Coming from Westchester we would always go to The Terrace Club-god I miss those single days....what is there now? We used to go to the Polyesters, The Art Bar and I can't remember the other one but it was two floors and they had bright neon lights when you first walked in. Okay now I feel old.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 AM

2 posts, read 14,833 times
Angry JayCT

Sorry jay Stamford was never a "wasteland" as you may want to put it. Obviously you are not a native to consider it as such. No matter, It's not that I don't want progress, I do but, not at the cost of throwing hard working people under the bus. You must have one of those high-paying jobs that allow you to look down on the masses, I bet you're happy they're cutting down the cherry blossom trees in mill river park!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 AM

34,982 posts, read 57,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waydoh View Post
Sorry jay Stamford was never a "wasteland" as you may want to put it. Obviously you are not a native to consider it as such. No matter, It's not that I don't want progress, I do but, not at the cost of throwing hard working people under the bus. You must have one of those high-paying jobs that allow you to look down on the masses, I bet you're happy they're cutting down the cherry blossom trees in mill river park!
You were the one who called it "deserted", not me. You are right it was never a wasteland but it was kind of empty, And if it did not develop the way it did people would be complaining about that. Everyone looks back on things with fond memories but things are rarely as good as remembered. Otherwise there would have been no reason to make the changes that were made. Jay

Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 AM

104 posts, read 388,028 times
Is Colony Pizza still there? I am coming down in June and craving some of the Colony's pizza. I heard it was closing.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,297,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineL View Post
Is Colony Pizza still there? I am coming down in June and craving some of the Colony's pizza. I heard it was closing.
It's closing?? Hopefully that is just a very terrible rumor. They were open last time I was in the area, in December.

Where did you hear that news from?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM

104 posts, read 388,028 times
My son lives in Norwalk and goes there often. He said that they are retiring. AGGGHHH say it ain't so!!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:31 AM

7 posts, read 35,718 times
I just happened upon this posting, so I thought I'd add my two cents.

I too went to Ryle, as did my siblings. It was perhaps the most important period of my life (although I didn't know it then).

I came from a single parent, working class (mom was a nurse) white family. At Ryle, I was the minority. But I never knew that or felt that way.

Ryle, as was 1/2 of Stamford, was a fully integrated social experience. My friends were simply that, friends and schoolmates. The lesson that "people are just people" has never left me. I feel so fortunate to have been exposed to people of every color, age and socio-economic background. We didn't have much, but we did have much more than others. I'll never forget that lesson.

Shortly after my time at Ryle (early 70's), those in power in Stamford decided to try and attract corporations and the redevelopment of Stamford began. What did it do to this working class city?

It divided it into a fully class conscious community.

It gave tax breaks to the corporations while it tore down family housing.

It sent school kids on 20-35 minute commutes, to "integrate" the city (ie: add some of us working class/poor kids into the wealthier areas, NOT vice versa). Bussing also prevented continuity in friendships formed at the lower levels.

It made Stamford into a slowly decaying "community", not a city.

My siblings and I have all left Stamford, as have most of our peers growing up. Waterside isn't Waterside. We left for various reasons; we simply can't afford to live there, chose not live paycheck to paycheck or have realized that there are better choices for us.

When people ask about what it was like growing up in Stamford (after I dismiss their stereotype of "you must be rich, it's like Greenwich"....my response is this.

People my age in Stamford could only have stayed there as an adult two ways:
Either someone died and left them some $$ or someone died and left their spouse some $$.

That's a sad, but true commentary.

Here's my short list of Stamford faves:

Wedge Inn and Dairy Queen on Summer St. after watching baseball at Cubeta
Taking the bus downtown and seeing a movie at Avon
Papa's Pizza and playing pinball. Small pies were $2.25 I think, pinball a quarter.
The City providing "counselors" at The Park for part of the summer.
Playing kickball on the blacktop of Ryle and the round hand-washers before lunch.
Going to the Pink Tent Festival with friends and family. Chopping down Cherry Trees?!
The millions of church fairs and homemade pizza.
Colony Grill
Duchess WAS open 3 years ago across from Cummings
Mike's Pizza on Westside
Caldor, Bedford Records, the "Magic/Gag Gift Shop" downtown, the Library, etc etc

Thanks for the memories, I've been forming new ones since 1992.

Elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 PM

31 posts, read 144,971 times
Stamford did change. A friend of my family bought a home in Stamford about 10 years ago for around 200k. He recently sold after a developer came knocking at his door offering over 600K. He makes a modest living, but was now able to relocate to darien.
I wish Bridgeport could have the same fate some day.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 AM

10,093 posts, read 14,495,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraqVetnowaMomma View Post
Stamford did change. A friend of my family bought a home in Stamford about 10 years ago for around 200k. He recently sold after a developer came knocking at his door offering over 600K. He makes a modest living, but was now able to relocate to darien.
I wish Bridgeport could have the same fate some day.
Yeah, I too, hope Bridgeport could have the same fate as Stamford someday. I really like the potential of Bridgeport. I'm rootin' for that city! I'm even going to invest in it very soon--buying a multifamily house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut