Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by narajkaj View Post
I just happened upon this posting, so I thought I'd add my two cents.

I too went to Ryle, as did my siblings. It was perhaps the most important period of my life (although I didn't know it then).

I came from a single parent, working class (mom was a nurse) white family. At Ryle, I was the minority. But I never knew that or felt that way.

Ryle, as was 1/2 of Stamford, was a fully integrated social experience. My friends were simply that, friends and schoolmates. The lesson that "people are just people" has never left me. I feel so fortunate to have been exposed to people of every color, age and socio-economic background. We didn't have much, but we did have much more than others. I'll never forget that lesson.

Shortly after my time at Ryle (early 70's), those in power in Stamford decided to try and attract corporations and the redevelopment of Stamford began. What did it do to this working class city?

It divided it into a fully class conscious community.

It gave tax breaks to the corporations while it tore down family housing.

It sent school kids on 20-35 minute commutes, to "integrate" the city (ie: add some of us working class/poor kids into the wealthier areas, NOT vice versa). Bussing also prevented continuity in friendships formed at the lower levels.

It made Stamford into a slowly decaying "community", not a city.

My siblings and I have all left Stamford, as have most of our peers growing up. Waterside isn't Waterside. We left for various reasons; we simply can't afford to live there, chose not live paycheck to paycheck or have realized that there are better choices for us.

When people ask about what it was like growing up in Stamford (after I dismiss their stereotype of "you must be rich, it's like Greenwich"....my response is this.

People my age in Stamford could only have stayed there as an adult two ways:
Either someone died and left them some $$ or someone died and left their spouse some $$.

That's a sad, but true commentary.

Here's my short list of Stamford faves:

Wedge Inn and Dairy Queen on Summer St. after watching baseball at Cubeta
Taking the bus downtown and seeing a movie at Avon
Papa's Pizza and playing pinball. Small pies were $2.25 I think, pinball a quarter.
The City providing "counselors" at The Park for part of the summer.
Playing kickball on the blacktop of Ryle and the round hand-washers before lunch.
Going to the Pink Tent Festival with friends and family. Chopping down Cherry Trees?!
The millions of church fairs and homemade pizza.
Colony Grill
Duchess WAS open 3 years ago across from Cummings
Mike's Pizza on Westside
Caldor, Bedford Records, the "Magic/Gag Gift Shop" downtown, the Library, etc etc

Thanks for the memories, I've been forming new ones since 1992.

Elsewhere.
Great post. My dad actually grew up in Waterside and went to Ryle. I'll have to ask him about the round hand washers.

You are right about what has happened to Stamford. It is increasingly becoming a haven for the rich and those who cannot afford to leave. It's impossible to start out your life there as a young person or a middle class family. For those who didn't grow up there and just see Stamford as a real estate cash cow, the change has been great. But for those of us whose families are from Stamford, and know it as just a big small town where people of all colors and socio-economic groups have lived together in relative harmony, the change is heartbreaking. I have moved away and not many of my childhood friends plan on following in their parents footsteps by raising a family there. It's just another stopping point for moneyed corporate/banking transplants now. Sad.

And you forgot of the ways people who are born here can stay here: They can end up living with their parents for life.

Thanks for reminding me of the church fairs and Caldor. I used to think their parking garage was the coolest thing when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM

7 posts, read 35,705 times
Default Lol

I'm laughing about the garage at Caldor, it was waaaay cool to us.

My brother worked there briefly and for a half-day he was assigned to work in the exit booth. I think it was TEN CENTS to park. We still laugh about that.

Yeah, I did forget the "living with the parents thing", I know it's all too prevalent, but certainly shouldn't have to be a long-term solution.

What year(s) were you involved with Ryle?

I bet we're connected whether we know it or not.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM

184 posts, read 842,951 times
I remember when the mall went up. I think I was in grade school and we were living in Norwalk and my parents took me to the brank spanking new Stamford Town Center.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,981 times
Wow I'm brand new at Stamford, didn't know all those business and places, Is good to know in part. But well now that you had mentioned all your favoriteplaces to go that had disappear.. I need a pizza place you recommend at stamford to go or order My husband loves pizza and would like to have a favorite place to go with him and my baby.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 35,705 times
I've been gone a longtime, but if I do think The Colony Grill is still open.

They serve (used to) only one size of super thin, one of a kind pizza, only 3 flavors...take it or leave it.

It's been around FOREVER and is one of the few Stamford places that hasn't changed. Sit in the bar or in the family oriented dining room. Same menu.

It's on the east side of town.

There are/were a number of "John's" around town...John the Baker, etc.

All good authentic pizza.

Do NOT eat at a chain. You live in the heart of the pizza world. Try to avoid the places that have real sit down service with an extensive menu, it's dime a dozen. Look for places that sell slices, usually a good bet (NOT Sbarro).

I'm sure some here can help you out better.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
Quote:
Do NOT eat at a chain. You live in the heart of the pizza world.
I agree. As much as everyone raves about New Haven pizza, it's still more difficult to get bad pizza in Stamford, than it is in New Haven, IMO. Don't get me wrong, i like Pepe's and Sally's, but i've yet to have a lousy pizza in Stamford.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Quote:
What year(s) were you involved with Ryle?

I bet we're connected whether we know it or not.
Oh, I don't know. It was actually my father that went to Ryle, not myself. This would have been the late 40's/early 50's.

Also, word on the street is that Colony will be closing.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:47 AM

184 posts, read 842,951 times
Hope Street Pizza's not bad. One of my closest friends from high school (we're from Stamford) lives out of the country, and whenever he comes home to visit, Hope Street Pizza is always on the agenda! Thin crust, greasy as it gets, good pizza.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 AM

8 posts, read 57,164 times
Quote:
I just happened upon this posting, so I thought I'd add my two cents.

I too went to Ryle, as did my siblings. It was perhaps the most important period of my life (although I didn't know it then).

I came from a single parent, working class (mom was a nurse) white family. At Ryle, I was the minority. But I never knew that or felt that way.

Ryle, as was 1/2 of Stamford, was a fully integrated social experience. My friends were simply that, friends and schoolmates. The lesson that "people are just people" has never left me. I feel so fortunate to have been exposed to people of every color, age and socio-economic background. We didn't have much, but we did have much more than others. I'll never forget that lesson.

Shortly after my time at Ryle (early 70's), those in power in Stamford decided to try and attract corporations and the redevelopment of Stamford began. What did it do to this working class city?

It divided it into a fully class conscious community.

It gave tax breaks to the corporations while it tore down family housing.

It sent school kids on 20-35 minute commutes, to "integrate" the city (ie: add some of us working class/poor kids into the wealthier areas, NOT vice versa). Bussing also prevented continuity in friendships formed at the lower levels.

It made Stamford into a slowly decaying "community", not a city.

My siblings and I have all left Stamford, as have most of our peers growing up. Waterside isn't Waterside. We left for various reasons; we simply can't afford to live there, chose not live paycheck to paycheck or have realized that there are better choices for us.

When people ask about what it was like growing up in Stamford (after I dismiss their stereotype of "you must be rich, it's like Greenwich"....my response is this.

People my age in Stamford could only have stayed there as an adult two ways:
Either someone died and left them some $$ or someone died and left their spouse some $$.

That's a sad, but true commentary.

Here's my short list of Stamford faves:

Wedge Inn and Dairy Queen on Summer St. after watching baseball at Cubeta
Taking the bus downtown and seeing a movie at Avon
Papa's Pizza and playing pinball. Small pies were $2.25 I think, pinball a quarter.
The City providing "counselors" at The Park for part of the summer.
Playing kickball on the blacktop of Ryle and the round hand-washers before lunch.
Going to the Pink Tent Festival with friends and family. Chopping down Cherry Trees?!
The millions of church fairs and homemade pizza.
Colony Grill
Duchess WAS open 3 years ago across from Cummings
Mike's Pizza on Westside
Caldor, Bedford Records, the "Magic/Gag Gift Shop" downtown, the Library, etc etc

Thanks for the memories, I've been forming new ones since 1992.

Elsewhere.
Wow...I just stumbled on this website and feel like I've found a connection to my past. I lived in Stamford the first 21 years of my life. Moved out of Connecticut Avenue back in 1983 I think it was.

I can't believe they'd be cutting down the Cherry Trees. I used to love to go to the Pink Tent Festival.

My dad was a musician who graduated from Stamford High I would guess in 1933 or 1934. He worked many weddings as a Sax player at Laddins Terrrace. (Long before the Terrace Club came to be)

Mom and I moved out of Stamford in 1983 when I was 21. We couldn't afford to live in Stamford. Not even moderate income housing. When I turned 21, section 8 rules considered all of my income plus hers for our 2 bedroom apt. So the rent basically doubled. I miss that old neighborhood. I miss Stamford so much.

Here's my list...
Sarners
Howlands
Wedge Inn
Dairy Queen
The Farm Shop on Hope Street near Dolan Middle School
The little farmers market on Summer St about 2 or 3 blocks north of Dairy Queen.
TransLux Cinemas
Pantry Pride on Broad St
Syl Mays Drug
Pennsylvania Drug
Sol's Toy Store
Gimbels in Ridgeway Plaza
Little shops in the 1st and lower levels next to Consumers Distributing
Trim Fashions
IHOP
Grants
Happy House Variety
Chicken Delight
State National Bank
Summer Concerts in Scalzi Park
Atlantic Pizza
Woolworths on Atlantic Street

Please add to this site...i'd love to read more.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:35 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Moved to Seaside Avenue in 2003. Was a nice residential single family hoome section in the 60's. By 2000 Seaside avenue converted to condos. Still a nice area to live right by the water in 2003.

By 2006 Cove section crime rates went up and so did more 4 story condo buildings. I got out of there!

I saw a difference in 1 area of Stamford within 4 years!! I CAN'T IMAGINE Brattpowered and 8 years. lol

Stamford and vicinity are extremely overpopulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut