Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHere View Post
Moved to Seaside Avenue in 2003. Was a nice residential single family hoome section in the 60's. By 2000 Seaside avenue converted to condos. Still a nice area to live right by the water in 2003.

By 2006 Cove section crime rates went up and so did more 4 story condo buildings. I got out of there!

I saw a difference in 1 area of Stamford within 4 years!! I CAN'T IMAGINE Brattpowered and 8 years. lol

Stamford and vicinity are extremely overpopulated.
Overpopulated? You mean dense? Stamford isn't "overpopulated." The city's population is about 120,000. it is a growing city, but I certainly wouldn't call it "overpopulated." That could be the case in Bangladesh, parts of India, Africa, Java, etc., but not Stamford, CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 22,691 times
Does anyone remember the name of the jewelry store on Broad Street (across from Caldors)?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Default Jewelry Store

Does anyone remember the name of the jewelry store on Broad Street (across from Caldors)? This was in the late 60's - 70's.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 35,696 times
Default Jewelry Store

It was called "Zantow Ferguson", not positive about the spelling.

One of the owners was Mr. Ferguson, I shoveled his walk once. Very nice, older guy.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 35,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdevito View Post
Wow...I just stumbled on this website and feel like I've found a connection to my past. I lived in Stamford the first 21 years of my life. Moved out of Connecticut Avenue back in 1983 I think it was.

I can't believe they'd be cutting down the Cherry Trees. I used to love to go to the Pink Tent Festival.

My dad was a musician who graduated from Stamford High I would guess in 1933 or 1934. He worked many weddings as a Sax player at Laddins Terrrace. (Long before the Terrace Club came to be)

Mom and I moved out of Stamford in 1983 when I was 21. We couldn't afford to live in Stamford. Not even moderate income housing. When I turned 21, section 8 rules considered all of my income plus hers for our 2 bedroom apt. So the rent basically doubled. I miss that old neighborhood. I miss Stamford so much.

Here's my list...
Sarners
Howlands
Wedge Inn
Dairy Queen
The Farm Shop on Hope Street near Dolan Middle School
The little farmers market on Summer St about 2 or 3 blocks north of Dairy Queen.
TransLux Cinemas
Pantry Pride on Broad St
Syl Mays Drug
Pennsylvania Drug
Sol's Toy Store
Gimbels in Ridgeway Plaza
Little shops in the 1st and lower levels next to Consumers Distributing
Trim Fashions
IHOP
Grants
Happy House Variety
Chicken Delight
State National Bank
Summer Concerts in Scalzi Park
Atlantic Pizza
Woolworths on Atlantic Street

Please add to this site...i'd love to read more.
Great post, lots of these were great experiences for me as well, even if they weren't on my original list.

Here's some more:

Sike's Arcade, next to Atlantic Street Pizza (which used to be located across from the old City Hall where Champion Paper is now).

Bedford Records, even if they did take the best seats first when they operated the Ticketmaster outlet.

Star Diner for breakfast, across from north end of Mall

Delaney's Variety, sneaking a peek at the girlie mags

Buying the vinyl Xmas album at Firestone each year

Buying bags of army men at Woolworths, playing pinball and popping a balloon to see what price (hidden inside) you'll pay for a banana split

Taking a field trip to the brand new McDonalds across from the library, they had a DOWNSTAIRS (walked from Hart School)

The newspaper store in Ridgeway that actually had a lunch counter, buying Lottery tickets at 12.

Watching my brother play Little League at Leone Park

Searching for foul balls in the woods behind Cubeta

Buying Italian Ice at the corner store and from the trucks (reaching into the garbage chute opening to ring the bell, with permission of course)

The HUGE fire at the furniture store near the Y downtown in 1977 or so.

Keep 'em coming....

Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'm not too old and I've only been gone for 8 years, but Stamford has changed a lot since I was a kid growing up there. Here are some things I remember, that may be gone but are not forgotten. If any longtime residents are out there, help me out!

Bongiorno
Woolworth on Hope Street
Trinity Catholic when it was Stamford Catholic
Columbus Square and downtown as a hotbed of crime
When nobody in their right mind would build ANYTHING in the South End
Cool 96.7
Caldor Downtown
The Family Affair (This is in Norwalk, but close enough)
Duchess in Shippan
Southfield Village
John's Best Pizza, on Hope Street
A solid middle class (Firefighters, Nurses, Policemen could live where they worked)
Palmer's Market
Thom Serrani
The oil tanks on Southfield Ave
The Terrace Club
Bongiornos Supermarket on the west side was sold.
Woolworths on Hope St, is now a Bob's Furniture Store
Columbus Square is still there, there is still crime in downtown stamford
Southend is going thru changes
John's Best Pizza is still there on Hope St
Not sure if Palmers Market is still on Hope St.
I think the oil tanks are still on Southfield Ave
The Terrace Club was still there, last time I was on the West Side
Southfield Village was demolished, but rebuilt as condos and some
subsidized city housing

Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM

That's it - thank you so much!!! I couldn't think of the name for nothing.

Much appreciated!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 7,370 times
Default More parallels

Hi,

My dad owned a music store in stamford with his parents. Economy Music Shop on the end of Summer Street. Building doesn't exist anymore. But, my dad was also a musician and played tenor sax at Laddins Terrace for many many years. He was a friend of the Daly's of Stamford who owned the Palace and Plaza Theater as well as many other buildings. My mother was one of the singers in the swing band and get this, my great uncle joe, who passed away a couple of years ago was the guy who made the pink tents and rented them to the city for the Pink Tent Festival! Many more great memories of Stamford I have chemistry with both Greenwich and Stamford, as my parents were from each. My wife lived 1/2 block from the Dairy Queen and was friends with the daughter of the owner. Free ice cream for the kids in those days. How about Curly's Diner with the sign on it during the energy crisis that said, "Need Gas? Eat Here!"

Those were the days. Now I go back there, and my heart aches. Such a great place to have grown up, and now Jerry Springer and Maury Povich are headed there. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,288 times
Anyone know where I can get my hands on any Collins Brothers Crew tapes? (Hip-Hop Crew They used to play sometimes at the Southfield Village Back in the Hay-dayz, as well as at The Carver Center in Norwalk, Ct I do have but (1) that i kept around and finally converted over to cd.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyW View Post
John's Best Pizza is still there on Hope St
I'm thinking of the one that was in the Woolworth's shopping center, that is now a sushi restaurant, I believe.

Quote:
Not sure if Palmers Market is still on Hope St.
This is now a CVS.

Quote:
I think the oil tanks are still on Southfield Ave
These are now luxury apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut