Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,517 times

Advertisements

I'm from stamford also, I grew in southfield village, I went first to Ryle school and transferred to Stevens school. While I remember the duchess at Shippan, I also remember when Tony's hotdog resturant stood in that same spot next Carvel's ice cream and the Starlite Drive-in Movie theatre. I also remember when Borgornios was just a little mom and pop store near greater that church. I think its called Greater faith Tabernacle. I also remember going to Ann and John's store near the cool spot in Southfield village to get some penny candy, and when Atlantic street was a thriving shopng area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 10,862 times
Default Roxbury Nursery School

I went to Roxbury Nursery School as a little kid in the late 80's. Sadly, it is one of many businesses in Stamford no longer existing. I went there when they were at the old historic church at the corner of Roxbury and Den Rd. Sadly, even that building is gone after a tragic fire destroyed it in the mid 90's. Only the sign is still there, after the city government refused to give them the permits to rebuild.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,862 times
Default Businesses I remember.

My father worked for Champion International, now International Paper Company. The beautiful building was downtown at One Champion Plaza, but it was closed when International Paper bought out Champion. So much else has changed, nothing like it was in the late 80's and early 90's when I was little. Woolworth, Caldor, Newfield Pizza, Sol's Toy Store, Childworld & Ames (Norwalk, but close enough) Bloomingdales (where UConn is now) Bongiorno's, The FINAST Grocery store, the lobster tank at the Grade A, and SO much more. Change is not good!

Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 10,779 times
Red face Ah Yes, I too remember 1970's Stamford

I was just a teen during the 70's and i too remember some of those old great places. I can remember pappa's pizza! they were(to me) the best pizza during that time. the pizza is still good today, but i have to say it's not as good as it used to be when pappa and mamma ran the parlor. I grew up on the westside, but i really manuvered stamford. I have such fond memories of just about every area of stamford...Cherry blossoms in mill river at spring time...and yes..the pantry pride grocery store that was just across the way on broad street. I grew up on the west side. It was a lil' rough, but we still had pride, "we used to say, "the west side of town, was the best side of town" makes me laugh just thinking about it. Often times we'd hit the D Q on summer street after a baseball game at scalzi park..speaking of which, I learn that J.M Wright technical, which shared the parks lodging has recently been closed down. Some fond memories:

Sittin in atlantic pizza house, while eating a pappas pizza and engaging in tastes tests
shootin' rockets off in leone park at night with my dad and siblings
stoppin off at the Hillcrest variety store at the corner of broad and spruce streets in the morning on my way to cloonan middle school.
Lil miss softball america games
bobby valentines
waiting in front of the town hall to catch the city bus to norwalk(When the stamford news and variety store was just across the street)
C.O. miller store
woolworths on atlantic streets and in glenbrook
yerwood center parties/dances
ice skating at landmark square..sooo many more memories i'd have to say, that i appreciated stamford much more when it was smaller

Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,779 times
Hey bobby, I grew up in southfield village in the late 60's went to ryle school for a year then we moved to fairfield court. as a teen, I remember going to the southfield center dances also. Had friends who lived in 85, 111 ,133..I didn't know that faith tabenacle missionary baptist church moved over there!! And yes, i used to shop at bongiornos all the time, even after i moved to the fairfield ave. Do you remember Dot and Jims fish market on the waterside?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,194 times
I was born & raised in Stamford, went to John J. Ryle school 65-71...Would like to get school pic's. I have a few... (remember Miss Cook Kindergarten) would like to get in touch with old school friends!!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,159 times
colony grill
the drive in movie theater on shippan ave
white tower on east main street.
catch 22 off of shippan ave with the old time jazz group
carvel across from the police dept next to
the deli bake

Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 AM

7 posts, read 35,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVY526 View Post
I was born & raised in Stamford, went to John J. Ryle school 65-71...Would like to get school pic's. I have a few... (remember Miss Cook Kindergarten) would like to get in touch with old school friends!!
Hi everyone. If you went to Ryle, there's a Facebook page with some good info AND some photos (just search "Ryle School".

Please join!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 17,722 times
Born and raised in Stamford..enjoying the lists

Tiny Martino's--great food
Tino's Diner on Bedford Street
Atlantic Fish on Pacific Street--unbelievable fish market and loose fresh peas in barrels
The French Shop--to my mind the height of chic on Bedford Street
Hans Griener--fabulous bakery also on Bedford Street
Spelke shoes--think that was the name--fashion on Bedford Street
The Roxbury Fair
The Greek Church Fair
Yanelli's Italian market near Sacred Heart Church---Balducci's before there was one
Jerry's A Pastry--yes, "a" pastry best lemon ice--it's not a snow cone
Pellici's
The Brass Rail
The Open Door
Mulroney's market in what is now known as North Stamford--
Carry Hunt-country clothes
Chimney Corner Inn--popover HQ
Post Grocer's--a real butcher
The Farm Shop -ice cream

Great place to grow-up...

Last edited by name101; 01-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: corrections and additions

Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 17,722 times
live chicken market..think that was Pignatore's or Pignatelli's...great spot --Fresh before it was chic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut