Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 PM

10 posts, read 40,115 times

Advertisements

So I might be taking up a position in the west haven area and have been researching apartments.

There are a few buildings downtown in New Haven.

How is downtown in that area? Is it relatively safe? Nice restaurants/bars?

Keep in mind that I lived in Manhattan for four years and spent this last year living in South Beach, Miami so I know how big city life is in regards to general street smarts and the like. But overall would you recommend it to any of your friends to live there?

I'm looking for a somewhat lively area but don't need to be around craziness all the time. My wife and I both just turned 30 (no kids).

Does anyone here live in that area?

What about downtown Bridgeport?

My budget is 1500-1800 and I need a 2/2 or even a townhouse. I have been living in high rise buildings for the past 5 years so something similar would suit me best.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:04 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
New Haven is lively by Connecticut standards but may be quiet to you by New York or South Beach standards. There are a lot of great restaurants and bars downtown and there are people around so it is relatively safe. It would probably be your best bet for a rental if you want a more urban lifestyle. To answery your question about Bridgeport though, it has less to offer downtown than New Haven, plusit is further from West Haven. Jay

Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 AM

10 posts, read 40,115 times
Thanks Jay.
Do you know of any specific high rise building names in downtown New Haven? I heard of 360 State street but that is WAY overpriced and I have a hard time believing they will rent at those prices.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:15 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,999 times
360 State is the only new high rise in New Haven. It is a big experiment for the city. The only other high rises I know of are basically grad- and med-student ghettos built in the 70s- not recommended. Beyond high-rises, there are lots of options. Other housing developments that have come on-line recently have been conversions of old factories or other uses. Strouse Adler is a former corset factory, and Residence Court used to be a shopping mall. Both of these are at Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more. The most desirable place to live in downtown has traditionally been the Taft, which goes way back to the '30s when New Haven was the place for Broadway Shows to make their out-of-town premiere. Ninth Square is a section of the downtown that has been revitalized/rebuilt over the last 10 years and has lots of restaurants. The Yale part of downtown has some shopping, too.
Other than that, check craigslist. There are lots of units in smaller buildings throughout downtown. If you're working in West Haven and want urban, New Haven is the place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut