Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 AM

41 posts, read 124,678 times

Advertisements

I used this site to get an idea of what WH is like before moving there (here). We made the move 1 1/2 years ago and I wanted to post my perspective as a resident to help others considering central CT.

WH was recently named a top 10 Best City by Kiplinger. I think this is valid. I'm very impressed with the city, despite the warts.

First, this is a great place to raise a family. The schools, especially the special education (one of the very best in the state), is top notch. There are many parks with playscapes and pools, Elizabeth Park is widely acclaimed, Wolcott has a sprinkler playground, there is a children's science museum (decent but close), and it is safe (the only place that is troubling is the southeast corner). The main library, Noah Webster, has a fantastic kids section.

There is a lot to do around here. There are lots of restaurants and stores (two Whole Foods), the center and Blue Back Square have great shops and are regional attractions, there are three other shopping areas that are popular (Bishops Corner, Elmwood, and Park Street), Westfarms Mall is on the SW corner, and WH is close to Hartford, the coast (40 minutes tops), and 2 hours from NY and Boston. There is Talcott Mountain (see Hueblin Tower) for hiking and the resevoir for walking.

There are three colleges in town: UConn's Hartford campus, Saint Joseph College, and University of Hartford. Central Connecticut State University is in neighboring New Britain, just a couple miles from the WH border. In the Kiplinger article, they cite the fact that 57% of WH residents hold a college degree. Given the number of intelligent people I meet, I believe it. This is a more progressive town but not liberal.

We have great diversity for being a mostly upscale town. The North side has a high jewish concentration, the south side has a wide variety of races and ethnicities, and the whole town has a stimulating mix of cultures.

The warts include high taxes (to pay for the many great services and amenities), a high concentration of people (there is no free space as there is in neighboring Avon and Simsbury), and an apparent high proportion of people in a rush (especially on the road).

Housing is expensive. The most affordable housing is on the south side, by the mall and Elmwood (again, the southeast corner is troubling). The northeast corner, near Aiken Elementary and King Philip MS, is also affordable and is a very pleasant area. The rest of the town (the majority of it) is more expensive with beautiful neighborhoods and homes.

If you are considering WH, I recommend it! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:39 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Very accurate review. Can't go wrong with West Hartford. It is, however, too busy and "rat race" for my tastes

Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM

20 posts, read 41,006 times
Thank you for your perspective!

Do you think that West Hartford would be a good place for a 25 year old single person to move to? Where do most of the students who go to those universities live?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:20 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Having lived in WH for over a decade, I would agree with most of your assessment. However, I would disagree with your assessment that the town is progressive, but not liberal. I would say that most of the people I have met here are both progressive and liberal, in the best sense of the word.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusArctos View Post
Thank you for your perspective!

Do you think that West Hartford would be a good place for a 25 year old single person to move to? Where do most of the students who go to those universities live?
Yes, it is a great place for anyone in their 20's who likes an urban vibe, walkable downtown, shopping, dining, fashion and all that. If there's any place in Hartford county that resembles Manhattan in the slightest, it would be West Hartford. But I guess it would help to know more about your personality and what type of environment you want. Personally, W. Hartford is too chaotic for me, as I've said previously.

I would consider it to be a progressive and liberal town, but in a good way.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times
Sorry to disagree with your assessment of W.H. I found the people very snobby or stand-ofish. I lived on the North side and there specifically, your neighbors kept to themselves. The only other city to compare to W.H's "cold-shoulder" factor was Newport, R.I.

W.H. is quaint and has some appeal, but it's small and eventually you run into the same people who snub ya. The cold weather can be long and brutal. Property taxes are super high as was oil prices and electricity. In retrospect, I would have rather lived in Hartford--bigger houses, lower cost and more diversity.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Sorry to disagree with your assessment of W.H. I found the people very snobby or stand-ofish. I lived on the North side and there specifically, your neighbors kept to themselves. The only other city to compare to W.H's "cold-shoulder" factor was Newport, R.I.

W.H. is quaint and has some appeal, but it's small and eventually you run into the same people who snub ya. The cold weather can be long and brutal. Property taxes are super high as was oil prices and electricity. In retrospect, I would have rather lived in Hartford--bigger houses, lower cost and more diversity.
In general, most neighbors in CT (and New England) will keep to themselves most of the time. It's not just a West Hartford thing, either. Heck, I live in Vernon in an townhouse apartment complex with side-by-side apartments. The neighbors to my left, the last time I spoke with them was June 2009. Other than that, it's just the occasional "hi" and smile, which maybe occurs once every few months. The neighbors to my right lived there for 11 months, and we never even spoke or met each other at all! That's just how New England is. We're not being mean, but we just don't like having our lives butt into too often. It has its pros and cons.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 PM

519 posts, read 582,362 times
Is there any issue with crime given its proximity to Hartford... is it more of an issue on the East side?

I'm thinking break-ins, etc...

Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Is there any issue with crime given its proximity to Hartford... is it more of an issue on the East side?

I'm thinking break-ins, etc...
It's minimal pretty much everywhere. I used to live in the east end on Kane Street, I never had a problem, and I'm whiter than church paint. Around the corner is Oakwood Ave, and at that time that street was a dump - a few houses had debris in the backyard, some of the duplexes looked like they were ready to fall down and you had section 8 recipients living there (although i've been told by several people that the town ousted them when the homes fell into disrepair.) I drove by there a few weeks ago to see how it was when I was traveling east on I84 coming back from Glastonbury and that area has improved alot since then - many of the multi-family homes have been repainted, the exteriors refurbished and the lawns are better kept. I agree that the east end of town has more of an "urban" vibe - but by urban I mean it's busier, more racially diverse, the houses are closer together and more people rent, there's more prewar apartments, but it's not the hood - not by a longshot.

re: Skategirl - yes, there are snobs here, but they are everywhere. Find me an upper middle class town without them. I won't deny or downplay your experiences you may have had, but believe me, as someone who has friends and family in other towns nearby, I can tell you it's far worse there where it's more white and homogonized.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
I must say that if I could afford to, I would live in the WH in the meantime, preferably near Blue Back.

I like WH - yes it might be a little "rougher" closer to Hartford, but I've never heard it to be a HUGE problem. Snobs are everywhere, we have them here in my city where you wouldn't think we do.

As far as people keeping to themselves, they do it everywhere. I have lived here in my apt. (in a house in a decent neighborhood) for almost 8 years. I know my downstairs neighbors and see, but only rarely, my next door neighbors, and that is usually just a passing hello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut