Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 AM

16 posts, read 46,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Saliliscool, take a good look at West Hartford. Easy commute to Bloomfield. Plenty of South Asians here. You can rent a very nice 3 bedroom duplex or even a 3 BR house for that price. There are some unsold homes that would be possible rentals for a year or two. Excellent private preschools, good public schools, and in the south end of town I believe that there is free public preschool, depending upon your location and your earnings. There are tons of inexpensive activities for preschoolers through the town's "Leisure Services" catalog. (Yes, it's really called that!) Your spouse would find an instant social network through taking your child to these activities and the library, which has an amazing children's department with plenty of places to play and socialize. Spouse will be happy here, which will make your life happier, too. There is a reason why West Hartford often makes national lists of best places to live.

Thanks Parentologist for the suggestion.

Thats exactly what I was looking for - good pre-schools (even better if it is free ), easy commute, demographics and houses within my budget range.

West Hartford is definitely in top of my preferred list now. And I have seen everyone from JayCT to nep321 to Uconn97 agree to it (which can be a very rare scenario ). So I hope I can not go wrong with this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 AM

I would like to sincerely Thank everyone for their inputs and active participation.

This has been a HOT but good debate. We get to hear the pros and cons of a lot of places both "East and West of the river". This thread provides helpful information not only to me but also to all other people who are planning to relocate to this side of CT.

As someone said the preferences of each individual varies. And it definitely helps if one is aware of all the options available to him/ her and the plus and minus of that place. It will help us take a more informed decision.

You guys are great. Keep up the good work !!

And just to let you all know - below is the list of places I am considering (in order of preference):
  • West Hartford
  • South Windsor
  • Glastonbury
  • Manchester
  • Farmington
  • Avon
Thanks everyone for participating .

Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Good luck in your hunt. Come back and let us know how it all works out for you!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Avon is one of the wealthiest towns in the state (wealthiest in Hartford County) with an average household income of $115,186. Glastonbury is not far behind that with an average household income of $103,407. Marlborough is $102,232. Interestingly South Windsor ($93,814), Tolland ($98,918), Hebron ($96,295) and Andover ($88,350), all have incomes higher than Farmington's $85,119. Bolton's income level is just under Farmington's at $84,766 and Coventry ($81,253) is comparable to Canton's ($81,552).

My point is that the notion that towns east of the river are inferior to those west of the river is baseless. There was a time that this may have been true, but these towns have been discovered and are now considered to be very desirable places to live. I should add that in 2009 Tolland was named by CNN/Money.com as the 27th best place to live in America. Not bad for a town considered by you to be less desirable. Jay
I don't think average household income is the best measure for income levels. It is skewed, because there are many housing arrangements in which there are a cluster of low-income individuals rooming together. For example, there could be a household with an income level of $100,000, but if there are two roomates each making only $50,000, then it's not really fair to say that that is a genuinely wealthy household.

Personally, I prefer income per capita, because it avoids that fallacy altogether. Sure, it can be skewed too, because you could have one person earning $1,000,000 and the rest of the people in the town only earning $50,000 each or whatever. But, especially in urban and college towns, there are numerous scenarios of low income individuals rooming with other low income individuals, causing their household income to be high. You know?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Does any one know of any good apartments (preferably new construction) in any of the following neighborhoods:
  • West Hartford
  • South Windsor
  • Glastonbury
I am looking for a 2BHK apartment and am willing to pay upto $1500 pm. I am browsing through Craigslist and Realtors. But if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I can always use the first-hand experience of you all.

Thanks in advance !!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saliliscool View Post
Does any one know of any good apartments (preferably new construction) in any of the following neighborhoods:
  • West Hartford
  • South Windsor
  • Glastonbury
I am looking for a 2BHK apartment and am willing to pay upto $1500 pm. I am browsing through Craigslist and Realtors. But if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I can always use the first-hand experience of you all.

Thanks in advance !!
I am assuming you are looking for an apartment complex. If that is the case, there is nothing that I know of in South Windsor. However, in Glastonbury, you might want to check out Addison Mills. It was recently built and opened in June 2009. Very nice location and floor plans. However, I called them once and they said that the studios start at $1,495. So a 2 br might be out of quesiton for you lol.

I don't think West Hartford has any new construction apartment complexes. New construction apartment complexes are rare in Hartford county these days. The only other one I know of is The Mansions at Canyon Ridge in East Windsor, but it's not in a very desirable area IMO. Also, if you're willing to be a bit further out, I would consider Ivy Woods in Tolland. Those were just built and opened in 2009 as well, and they are very nice. Tolland is nice, too.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Check Addison Mill in Glastonbury. It is a converted mill building on a small pond. They are very nice and new. Jay

Old 07-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am assuming you are looking for an apartment complex. If that is the case, there is nothing that I know of in South Windsor. However, in Glastonbury, you might want to check out Addison Mills. It was recently built and opened in June 2009. Very nice location and floor plans. However, I called them once and they said that the studios start at $1,495. So a 2 br might be out of quesiton for you lol.

I don't think West Hartford has any new construction apartment complexes. New construction apartment complexes are rare in Hartford county these days. The only other one I know of is The Mansions at Canyon Ridge in East Windsor, but it's not in a very desirable area IMO. Also, if you're willing to be a bit further out, I would consider Ivy Woods in Tolland. Those were just built and opened in 2009 as well, and they are very nice. Tolland is nice, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Check Addison Mill in Glastonbury. It is a converted mill building on a small pond. They are very nice and new. Jay

Yes I am looking for renting in an apartment complex. I now feel that I should have mentioned that in my 'DESIRED' item list at the very beginning of my post I am looking at my shortlisted neighborhoods and cannot find any good apartment that would really appeal to my taste

nep321 and JayCT --> Thanks for the good recommendations. Addison Mill was definitely on my list. I liked the floorplan and the new appliances. But if nep321 is correct then that is definitely out of my budget. That was the only one I liked till now and that seems to be in jeopardy

Ivy Woods seems to be very pretty. Only concern is probably it will take longer to get to Bloomfield. That seems to be a good distance away.

I feel like I am back to "Square One" now !!!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saliliscool View Post
Yes I am looking for renting in an apartment complex. I now feel that I should have mentioned that in my 'DESIRED' item list at the very beginning of my post I am looking at my shortlisted neighborhoods and cannot find any good apartment that would really appeal to my taste

nep321 and JayCT --> Thanks for the good recommendations. Addison Mill was definitely on my list. I liked the floorplan and the new appliances. But if nep321 is correct then that is definitely out of my budget. That was the only one I liked till now and that seems to be in jeopardy

Ivy Woods seems to be very pretty. Only concern is probably it will take longer to get to Bloomfield. That seems to be a good distance away.

I feel like I am back to "Square One" now !!!
Working in Bloomfield, huh? I used to work there, at CIGNA lol. Ivy Woods is about 30-35 min from there. It's a decent commute, but let me tell you...Route 218 is a grand nightmare, especially during Sep - May, because about 4,000 people work at CIGNA in Bloomfield and have to commute that way, in addition to the University of Hartford commuter students. It's truly awful. I remember many times it took me 30 min. just to drive from the CIGNA building to the I-291 ramp. It's a parking lot. I hope that is not where you will be working lol!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
There are some very nice newer apartments in Bloomfield called Gillette Ridge. I am not sure the rental price. You should know there are not a lot of large apartment complexes in the Hartford area, particularly newer ones. You may be bettor off looking for a privately owned condo. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut