Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 23,851 times

Advertisements

Here we are finally....I think that wouldn't be smart to say the street name but it seems that we did find THE house in Fairfield,it seems to be walkable area,close to the town center,good schools-osborn el. ...it's off N Benson rd,wakemans rd and the area...any flooding in the area ever? I do know it's close to the highway but you just cant have everything...
Is it the safe area of the town? since we dont know anybody in Ct,let alone the town of Fairfield any reply/advice is appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,804,294 times
I live in Milford, but my wife lived there, and her mother still does. Its a great town. N Benson is near Fairfield University, right? Great area. I haven't heard of any flooding. Its pretty safe in Fairfield, probably have more trouble with rowdy college kids than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Here we are finally....I think that wouldn't be smart to say the street name but it seems that we did find THE house in Fairfield,it seems to be walkable area,close to the town center,good schools-osborn el. ...it's off N Benson rd,wakemans rd and the area...any flooding in the area ever? I do know it's close to the highway but you just cant have everything...
Is it the safe area of the town? since we dont know anybody in Ct,let alone the town of Fairfield any reply/advice is appreciated !

Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,328 times
Quote:
Been in Fairfield for 3 years and have not heard about flooding in that area however, I understand there is a flood map and you should check it. But is is a very nice area, houses have maintained a decent value there and is close to Fairfield Center. Fairfield is a safe town in general and that area is among the safest.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,445,975 times
I have a friend who lived in the exact area where you are moving (side street off of North Benson a few blocks down from Fairfield U.) and she never mentioned any flooding problems. She said her neighborhood is extremely quiet and that there are very few kids on her block; I would assume the area is incredibly safe just like the other residential parts of town. You won't have to worry about rowdiness of Fairfield U. students because they either live in the dorms/townhouses on campus or in rental homes near the beach.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM

34,886 posts, read 56,854,700 times
That is a nice neighborhood. No issues I know of there. The only flooding problem could be if your property backs up to one of the small brooks in the area. You can then expect some flooding during unusually bad whether. If this is a concern, you might want to contact the town engineer's office to get more information. Jay

Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,939,038 times
Quote:
That's a great area. No area is completely safe, but I surely wouldn't worry about safety there.

You have to assume that some basement flooding is possible anywhere in Fairfield. I live near one of the highest points in town, and my basement floods if it really rains a lot. I have sump pumps to keep it dry, so the only problem is when they fail.

Does the house have sump pumps? If so, you know they were put there for a reason. The only area I would truly worry about flooding is the beach area. Down there, there's the possibility of actual street flooding and evacuation every so often. But in the area you're talking about, I don't think that's a concern. Your biggest worry is maybe a little water in the basement when it really rains heavily. You can mitigate that if you really want to, with a French drain or something like that.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,842,406 times
Quote:
...any flooding in the area ever? I
If it is a flood prone area or a flood plain, your mortgage company would require flood insurance.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:02 AM

32 posts, read 103,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
If it is a flood prone area or a flood plain, your mortgage company would require flood insurance.
I believe you can call your insurance company, and they will tell you if the house is in a flood zone & how much your flood insurance will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut