Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 12,168 times

Advertisements

Hello - we will be relocating to CT from Chicago area and are focusing in on areas outside of Danbury where I'll be working like Bethel, Newtown and Brookfield. All the homes we've been looking at have well water and was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality of water...such as taste, washing dishes, bathing, etc?

I grew up in Chicago where we always had city water, and then when we moved to the suburbs, initially my suburb had hard water and then recently built a water plant and now the water is awesome. The hard water was a pain when washing dishes although the taste was okay.

Thanks!
Renee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM

56 posts, read 172,803 times
Hi
Sorry I don't have any info to share with you, moving to CT myself in a few weeks but I was actually wondering the same thing about well water vs city. I will be watching your thread to read the answers given

have a great weekend

Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
We have city water, Aquarion, and I don't like the taste of it at all. It tastes like chlorine. Most of our neighbors buy their drinking water, or use a water purifier, which is what we do. However, my IL's have well water, and I don't notice a taste to it at all, it just tastes like "water". If you do buy a house with well water though, you should have the water tested to be sure it's chemical-free.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
We have had well water for awhile now. It's not TONS different, in my opinion, it tastes better then town water though.
You can use it for washing dishes etc, everything you use water for.

You can have the well water tested as part of the home inspection if your worried about it.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 12,168 times
Thanks for the replies! When we had hard water in our current suburb it would leave a white residue on our dishes in the dishwasher, so we had to buy a booster (in addition to Jet Dry) to get the dishes spotless. I cringe at the thought of having to do that again!!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
I grew up with well water and it was fine! We never had to worry about the price of water. There are areas of those towns that have city water.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Dentists usually will recommend people have flouride treatments if you have well water. city water usually has flouride added to it. Jay

Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Have had a few wells in the Northeast over the years including NY PA CT. All have been good with occasional minor defects. Had experience with a well in Newtown. The water was so good we preferred it to bottled water.

Of course it will vary even compared to nearby properties, so get it tested. You may want/need to add some type of treatment system. In many cases the previous owners will be familiar with the well and may have added any required treatment. Note that wells can change over the years.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
We have city water, Aquarion, and I don't like the taste of it at all. It tastes like chlorine. Most of our neighbors buy their drinking water, or use a water purifier, which is what we do. However, my IL's have well water, and I don't notice a taste to it at all, it just tastes like "water". If you do buy a house with well water though, you should have the water tested to be sure it's chemical-free.

What town do you live in? I really like my tap water and never buy bottled water.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Another nice thing about well water, you don't have to pay for water usage. As I said earlier we have Aquarion, and our water bill averages about $40 a month, and much higher in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut