Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 125,414 times

Advertisements

What is Seymour ct like? Is it a good area for a single twentysomething? Are there a lot of young professionals in the area? *If not about how far would I have to travel to meet people in my age range?
How is the shopping and entertainment in the area?
Is it safe to be a single woman walking her dog after work at night?
What areas should I look into? What areas should I avoid?
Any advice appreciated!
Thanks, grace*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM

18 posts, read 28,887 times
Probably not a ton of young single professionals in Seymour. Shopping and entertainment is very limited, most people I know in their 20's end up hanging out in New Haven or South Norwalk.

Shelton may have a slightly higher mix of young single professionals.

Totally safe in every way. Boringly even.

There are a few streets in town that have seen better times, I wouldn't say they are unsafe...but I wouldn't want my daughter living there if its avoidable.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Ok, so look closer to new haven, south Norwalk, or Shelton? What about Trumbull or Wilton?
What is new haven like anyways? I've always had the impression that it's run down, but Yale is there.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:54 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
New Haven is a major city so like any city it has its good and its bad areas. It is home to Yale University so there are a lot of college students and professors as well as a big medical community. Downtown and the university area is very nice and has a lot of social activities. It is a great place to be young and single.

As for Seymour, it is a small former mill town that is becoming a bedroom suburb for affluent Fairfield County. Shelton is similar but is now a bedroom town that has seen a lot of commercial and office growth in the last 25 years. Trumbull and Wilton are upscale suburbs that are nice and safe but offer little for singles. South Norwalk has more going on but it also has some urban issues.

You seem to be all over the place with towns. Maybe if you told us more of what you want and where you need to be near we could help you more. Jay

Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
My niece and nephews live/lived in Seymour and I don't think there's a great professional crowd there for somebody younger, at least from what I have observed and from what they have told me. I think there's a lot of a 'going nowhere' crowd there, which is sort of typical of the Valley area. Though I do think that Seymour is one of the nicer Valley towns. There aren't any real places to speak of to hang out; the bars I've seen there look like dives, and I haven't seen a restaurant there I'd really want to eat it. When my relatives from up there get together with me to go out to dinner, it's always down here (in Fairfield) rather than up there. One of my nephews moved from Seymour down to Black Rock and likes it much better.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

You seem to be all over the place with towns.
That's the understatement of the week.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 PM

155 posts, read 552,567 times
Maybe stamford?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Ok. I'm from a small town in the Midwest where it's not abnormal to drive 40-45 minutes to work. So I was thinking that if my job was in Seymour I would have a broad range of towns to choose from? *Is 45 miles a hard commute there? I don't want to be in a super small place where I won't make any friends my age.*
I love shopping, movies, really doing anything fun but I'm not into bars.*
I'd like to live some place safe, with lots to do and people in their 20/30s within a reasonable commuting distance.
I'll be looking for an apartment but hoping to buy a house within the next few years. 3 bed 2 bath preferably under $300k but may be able to swing $400k. *
Is it possible to find a place like this in CT?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think there's a lot of a 'going nowhere' crowd there, which is sort of typical of the Valley area.
It's obvious you've succumbed to the Valley stereotype without knowing much about any of the towns. Going nowhere? Seymour High School sends 90%+ of its students off to four year universities. About half of Seymour would be considered "affluent" by my own standards, the rest middle/working class. Yes, there is a blue collar population in the South Main Street area, but it's very elitist to say that because there is a *small* blue collar population, they are "going nowhere". Seymour, unfortunately, is often compared to the upscale Fairfield County towns because of its proximity.

Connecticut snobbery at its best.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yes, there is a blue collar population in the South Main Street area, but it's very elitist to say that because there is a *small* blue collar population, they are "going nowhere".
Most of Seymour is still "blue collar". And there's nothing wrong with that. The "white collar" professional crowd is small, and you'll really only find them in the newer(>5 year old) subdivisions. The large older colonials in town are basically occupied by a husband that is an established tradesman, and a wife that is usually a nurse or something else that isn't quite "white collar".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut