U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM

56 posts, read 166,913 times

Advertisements

Greetings

I will be moving to CT soon, my husband job will be in Manchester and we are looking for homes in that area and around that area. I have noticed that a lot of the homes use baseboard heating(?) or combination of heat source like oil, gas, and radiator? What is the least expensive for heating a home...anyone have any thoughts??
Thanks everyone for your time
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM

46,377 posts, read 57,790,953 times
It depends. However, there are a lot of homes that heat with oil in NE and I wouldn't touch that for anything, no matter how much I liked the house. It can and will get super expensive. I know a few people with oil heat who have resorted to wood stoves to heat their homes because the price of oil was so high.
We have had both gas and electric and they have been reasonable. Our last heating system was geothermal, and I don't know if that is very common in CT, but it was an electric forced air system that was super economical.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 PM

80,381 posts, read 68,443,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmary View Post
Greetings

I will be moving to CT soon, my husband job will be in Manchester and we are looking for homes in that area and around that area. I have noticed that a lot of the homes use baseboard heating(?) or combination of heat source like oil, gas, and radiator? What is the least expensive for heating a home...anyone have any thoughts??
Ahh, I love this topic...
From Most Expensive to Least to heat your home...

Electric
Oil
Natural Gas
Propane
Wood / Pellets
Fuel Cells
Solar

Hope that helps.... P.S - Let me be the first to say....if you plan on being in home for more than 2 years invest in a wood stove or wood stove insert...you'll never have to pay for oil, electric or gas to heat your home.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,668,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
if you plan on being in home for more than 2 years invest in a wood stove or wood stove insert...you'll never have to pay for oil, electric or gas to heat your home.
Not true for me...we have a woodburning stove but still use quite a lot of oil anyway. The layout of our home would never allow for it to be the main source of heating.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 PM

32,912 posts, read 52,169,263 times
Quote:
Greetings

You seem to be confused. Basebaord is a type of heating system while gas, oil, electric is the fuel used to power the system. I believe gas is generally the cheapest, followed by oil and thne propane. Electric is most expensive here. Jay

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 PM

56 posts, read 166,913 times
I think your right I am a bit confused Forgive my lack of knowledge what is baseboard heat fueled by? I am not really familiar with this type of heating?
Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 AM

80,381 posts, read 68,443,457 times
Quote:
I think your right I am a bit confused Forgive my lack of knowledge what is baseboard heat fueled by? I am not really familiar with this type of heating?
Thanks for the replies.
Baseboard is fueled by Electric OR Hot Water... Hot Water is the cheaper pick.

Does that answer your question?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 AM

113 posts, read 423,321 times
IMO electric is the most expensive, avoid it at all costs. Oil heat is nice and warm so it is well worth the expense. Baseboard heating whether electric or water is a pain to live with (i.e.) you will be limited in your furniture placement, but I hear it is a nice clean heat (no dust).

Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 AM

13,251 posts, read 41,455,366 times
Oil heat fluctuates. Sometimes it's the most expensive and sometimes it's low low low.
The absolute cheapest, I think, would be to generate your own electricity with solar and wind power, and then use that electricity you generate to heat your home and send some current up into the neighborhood's grid. When you do that, the utility company sends you a check. You not only don't pay for electricity, you -get paid- for it.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,668,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Baseboard is fueled by Electric OR Hot Water... Hot Water is the cheaper pick.

Does that answer your question?
And oil..the most common fuel type for heating in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut