Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

You also might want to consider Chester and Essex. They are only about 5-10 miles from the shore and have VERY cute, quaint, walkable downtowns with restuarants, antique shops, etc. They aren't modern upscale style, but rather classic upscale, if you know what I mean. I actually know a gay couple in their late 40's who live there in a house together and absolutely love it (Chester).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 03:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoeffler View Post
WOW..so many great replies! Thank you to everyone. It sounds like CT in general is a very accepting state. Such a contrast. Surprisingly we had posted a similar inquiry regarding Orange Coounty Ca, ONLY because of the weather out there ( aand we have some family there), I received such a negaive response in general compared to all of you. We currently live in MA and like the people in the northeast, now we just need to make all the numbers work, and scope put many of the towns you suggest. The one other area we will consider is the Lambertville NJ area, along the Delaware river, as we have friends there, but CT seems like a real possibility. We are taking a trip in Sept)Anyone have any imput relating to property taxes in CT?? Are there towns that are better than others??? I realise they are high everywhere.
You seriously got negative repiles about Orange county?? I've spent ALOT of time there, have quite a few friends there and everything I have experienced there showed me it most def on the VERY accepting side of ANYTHING except being poor. lol... At over 30YO at the time it's actually the location of the very first time I ever got sincerely "hit on" by a gay man, while I was working no less. It doesn't really faze me and I have always been comfortable with any "respectful of others" lifestyle and think I have a good sense of the concerns of someone of that preference as I grew up with a gay mother. I've also have had quite a few gay/bi aquintances, and probally the one gay man that I ever sincerely became friends with, lives in O.C., and he loves it there also. Just saying..

BTW. If I didn't have ties from growin up in the NE, I would probally pick the O.C. over Ct myself becase of the weather and so many things to do. Although I do LOVE the quiet peace here in Litchfield County, and though it'll be a long time before I could ever afford to buy here. Same would go in Cali though too for me. Have you spent much time in the O.C. yourself?? Just wondering..

Old 07-17-2010, 07:54 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Lol, I am not too fond of northeast people. They are too pretentious and like to show off to others. And too many of them are primarily concerned with chasing money. For these reasons, I have been considering a move to the deep south to get away from the rat race. I've been researching Mississippi and Alabama lately.
I find most people in the northeast to be reserved but not necessarily pretentious. I also have found that Mississippi and Alabama to be among the least gay-friendly states in the country. Jay

Old 07-17-2010, 07:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Lol, I am not too fond of northeast people. They are too pretentious and like to show off to others. And too many of them are primarily concerned with chasing money. For these reasons, I have been considering a move to the deep south to get away from the rat race. I've been researching Mississippi and Alabama lately.
I totally disagree with you associating that attitude with CT...it's people in general, all over the nation.

Wait...just WAIT till you find out about "putting on airs" in the "Propa South". Oh, just you wait. Pretentious? LOL You've never seen a woman ostracized from local circles because of what she "wares" (SIC) or that her hair is not "blond enough" etc. Or you get a "bless your heart" because you live in "that" subdivision, or you go to "that" church or your husband does "that" for a living etc etc.

Point: It's everywhere. But I've found people in CT are if anything, genuine and down to earth.

Last edited by JViello; 07-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: added some text for substance

Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I totally disagree with you associating that attitude with CT...it's people in general, all over the nation.

Wait...just WAIT till you find out about "putting on airs" in the "Propa South". Oh, just you wait. Pretentious? LOL You've never seen a woman ostracized from local circles because of what she "wares" (SIC) or that her hair is not "blond enough" etc.

Point: It's everywhere. But I've found people in CT are if anything, genuine and down to earth.
Agreed.

Of course in CT you get the pretentious snobs and standoffish jerks, maybe moreso than in other areas, but nep321 is gay. Boy would he be in for a wake-up call should he move to the deep south.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:11 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agreed.

Of course in CT you get the pretentious snobs and standoffish jerks, maybe moreso than in other areas, but nep321 is gay. Boy would he be in for a wake-up call should he move to the deep south.
LOL Oh yes...Mississippi isn't exactly a "live and let live" state. I hear they do let "dem gays" drink from public fountains in AL though.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:35 PM

23 posts, read 68,482 times
I'd add New Haven to the list of places to consider. New Haven has a lot of different neighborhoods with diverse communities, including gays and lesbians. Downtown (or close to downtown ) there's a nice beach, harbor, movie theater, theaters (acting) shopping, night clubs, bars, great restaurants, nice place there. You should really check it out and consider a more city-like life. If a house with tons of activity isn't for you, New Haven still has calm neighborhoods such as Westville and East Rock.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
You seriously got negative repiles about Orange county?? I've spent ALOT of time there, have quite a few friends there and everything I have experienced there showed me it most def on the VERY accepting side of ANYTHING except being poor.
Orange County is actually pretty conservative.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM

83 posts, read 277,556 times
CT is a great place for gay couples. You don't tend to have problems in most places. Try Litchfield (CT) - which is very small BUT accessible to other places and is VERY upmarket. Also Candlewood Lake area around Danbury, New Fairfield and Brookfield (all are towns with good and bad parts but we're foodies and enjoy eating out locally). Westport in a condo is good, Ridgefield is arty (but can be a bit 'restrained' (we lived there previously), Greenwich (would have to be somewhere small), Southbury, CT.
We're in Fairfield county and have lots of gay friends who are couples. Whatever you decide - enjoy!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM

83 posts, read 277,556 times
OMG..just read the posts from people warning you to keep away from family developments. What a load of rubbish! You'll get a feel of how comfortable you are with a particular development once you see it or check the neighbors out.
We've got a small family - have had gay neighbors we loved to bits! ..and we have LOADS of gay couple friends around (and we live in a family development in a family town)..so please...you are intelligent enough to make your own choice no matter what areas others might try and steer you from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut