Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
And then, on the flip side, there's the part of me that's agreeing that there ARE houses that are less expensive and that it's a shame to throw money into rent every month when you could be building equity.
I agree with you, too. 65k is a decent salary and renting is a waste of money.

When I was a young, 20 something professional here in CT, I didn't have any friends that rented past 2 or 3 years after college graduation. And I didn't have any friends that got married and rented a home. We started in condos or small capes. We didn't buy our dream homes at that point in our lives. And we didn't expect to, either. We knew how to work hard and save our money with a goal in mind. We did not expect anything handed to us on a silver platter.

If you want to stay in CT, find something you can live with and buy it while the rates and prices are low...because real estate is cyclical and it will go up again at some point.

I don't think all of CT is expensive but if you think it is too expensive for you to live, I would highly recommend that you relocate. CT will continue to go on the way it has...people are willing to pay the high real estate prices to live here. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I just did a quick search of Manchester and 204 homes for under 230K came up. (I put 230K because you can put a lower offer in.) If you expand into East Hartford in the area South of Silver lane (Glastonbury line) there are some nice homes for under 200K

Some are very nice, in very nice neighborhoods.

Look these up:

MLS #G558439 1550sf 3/1.5 colonial on .6 acres. Beautiful home. Needs no work.

MLS #G562273 I acutally know this person and have been in this house. Beautiful well maintaned home on the Bolton line over by Shady Glen. NICE quiet private neighborhood. Updated 1600+sf 4/1.5 cape for $219K House needs nothing.

Those are two examples I looked up in literally 5 minutes.

They are out there if you want them, and please don't give me any "Manchester has high crime" etc crap because that second house listed is in one of the best areas of town with miles of woods behind the neighborhood and it's very nice. It's off Indian Drive, and I would challenge anyone near this area to drive there and post an honest opinion. They just put in a neighborhood of 500K + homes across the street, and they sold out. Geno Auriema lives there. They are putting another neighborhood of similar homes in. So it's a nice area.

It's also 1 minute from exit 5 on I384 so your commute would be a breeze by skipping most of the I84 traffic to I91 sans one exit.
I'm not going through this again, but I refuse to live in Manchester or East Hartford. Yuck. My personal opinion.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I did a quick search on raveis.com in only 3 towns: Vernon, Ellington, Stafford Springs and there were 116 single family homes under 250k (also allowing for negotiation).
My threshold is $220K, and Stafford and Ellington are too far from work. Sorry.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I searched the Berlin area (where you work) and found PLENTY of houses that were under even 180K which is closer to what you could actually afford as PP mentioned.
Here are a few...all have over the 1000 sq feet you wanted and a small yard.
I found a few in Southington and Plainville which are both safe towns like you described. There were some in Cromwell as well if you look it up yourself.

Southington, CT, 06489 - MLS #G565953 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
40 Dogwood Rd, Plainville, CT, 06062 - MLS #G547113 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
25 Whitney Ave, Southington, CT, 06489 - MLS #G560767 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
46 Fairbanks, Planville, CT, 06062 - MLS #98459098 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
  1. Plainville is nasty...I don't like it.
  2. The first listing in Southington is squished between two houses. Yuck.
  3. The second listing in Southington has baseboard ELECTRIC heat. A MAJOR no-no!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
  3. The second listing in Southington has baseboard ELECTRIC heat. A MAJOR no-no!
I live in Vernon as well. I think you need to better educate yourself about Manchester.

You seem to be very picky. "Champagne taste on a beer budget." If baseboard heat is going to be a critical factor, and you're looking in this area, I'd guess that you are eliminating well over 40-50% of the available homes on the market. This is an older, more established area.

You can get a beautiful condo in Vernon or surrounding towns on your budget... Why not start there and use the equity you eventually build to upgrade... You'll probably also be making more money at that point.

Regarding the "move to Texas" talk... I lived in Austin for 17 years. Don't do it. What you gain in housing you lose in over-all quality of life.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Your expectations are too high if you expect to find a beautiful home in your price range in a town like Glastonbury. You have to weigh your pros and cons.

If you really want to buy a house and not a condo, do what most people your age do - live in a crappy house for a few years, save your butt off, then a few years down the road you'll be able to afford a more decent house in a nicer town.

I also want to second what people have said about purchasing other items for the house up front - it will cost a LOT of money just to stock the damned thing. From a lawn mower right down to a screw driver. You're looking at probably close to 3-4k just in supplies for a house.

I'd suggest getting a condo but from what I hear, those aren't great investments in the current market. Any Realtors care to chime in on that issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Regarding the "move to Texas" talk... I lived in Austin for 17 years. Don't do it. What you gain in housing you lose in over-all quality of life.
To be more balanced, I know a LOT of people who have moved to Texas and absolutely love it.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Wait, let me get this straight. You are 26, make $65k and want a single family home. You say you can't find anything? Have you really looked? Are your expectations too high?

There are many homes for sale in the Berlin area for under $220k. Check towns like Cromwell, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Newington and Berlin. Heck, even Glastonbury has homes in this price range (I am helping a coworker find a home here for that price).

Will this be a new home or a home in perfect condition? No, but it will be livable. You are buying your first home and you have to realize it is just the first step. You can't expect to get everything you want in your first home. When I was younger, I bought a modest condo. Another coworker bought one too while another one bought a modest home in East Hartford. Later we all graduated to nicer homes as our fortunes improved.

I would suggest lower your expectations a bit and keep looking. You should find something if you really want to. Jay

Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
To be more balanced, I know a LOT of people who have moved to Texas and absolutely love it.
I'm sure this is true. A lot of people love it down there.

However NONE of the people I knew in Texas who grew up in NY/NJ/CT loved it. They all felt pretty much like I did. Maybe it was just my circle of friends...

Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wait, let me get this straight. You are 26, make $65k and want a single family home. You say you can't find anything? Have you really looked? Are your expectations too high?

There are many homes for sale in the Berlin area for under $220k. Check towns like Cromwell, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Newington and Berlin. Heck, even Glastonbury has homes in this price range (I am helping a coworker find a home here for that price).

Will this be a new home or a home in perfect condition? No, but it will be livable. You are buying your first home and you have to realize it is just the first step. You can't expect to get everything you want in your first home. When I was younger, I bought a modest condo. Another coworker bought one too while another one bought a modest home in East Hartford. Later we all graduated to nicer homes as our fortunes improved.

I would suggest lower your expectations a bit and keep looking. You should find something if you really want to. Jay
Well, the problem with the towns surrounding Berlin is that almost all of the homes under $220K are either squished between two other homes, or on a corner lot, or right next to a noisy highway. I am constantly searching, but can't find anything with some privacy and quiet. The farther away the neighbors...the better. Even better yet, no neighbors! If you do find anything like that in those towns you listed above (all of which I like), let me know, because I can't find a damn thing!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Are you working with a REALTOR(r)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut