Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 02:05 AM

93 posts, read 77,173 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

In your opinion, what is the cheapest (yet livable) coastal area to purchase a home? I'm looking for a community that is not unlike Sound Beach, Wading River or Rocky Point on Long Island, for those who know them. Just a normal, middle class, safe, coastal area where people actually still go fishing and spend time on the beach and don't have mega yachts or chips on their shoulders. A place where you can purchase a normal sized 3 bedroom house on a 1/4 plot of land and just have peace.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 04:04 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I’d say look into Clinton, but I’m not sure if you need to be near employment. It’s a nice, middle class fisherman town with non pretentious marinas, restaurants and overall lifestyle.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:46 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’d say look into Clinton, but I’m not sure if you need to be near employment. It’s a nice, middle class fisherman town with non pretentious marinas, restaurants and overall lifestyle.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:26 AM

93 posts, read 77,173 times
I have heard great things about Clinton! Any other ideas?

Old 09-14-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
I have heard great things about Clinton! Any other ideas?
You know I bet most of the towns east of Clinton on the shoreline would fit your bill too. I live in Fairfield County so to me Branford eastward is a breath of fresh middle class air to me. I have a relative that lives in southwest Fairfield County and he has a vacation house in Westbrook. Just a quiet getaway from all the rat race of the NYC metro area.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:56 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You know I bet most of the towns east of Clinton on the shoreline would fit your bill too. I live in Fairfield County so to me Branford eastward is a breath of fresh middle class air to me. I have a relative that lives in southwest Fairfield County and he has a vacation house in Westbrook. Just a quiet getaway from all the rat race of the NYC metro area.
I agree with these suggestions. Anything from Clinton eastward are more middle class and down to earth. You do not indicate your budget though so it’s hard to make a more specific recommendation. Old Saybrook is a consummate beach town with many cottages and a more summer beach feel. It has the beaches and fishing you are looking for. Jay

Old 09-14-2022, 09:13 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Hard to say without your budget.

Stratford, Milford, West Haven, East Haven, Branford, Clinton, Westbrook, East Lyme, Waterford all have nice, affordable middle class areas by the water. Even towns like Old Saybrook have some modest, low key neighborhoods.

They all have great relaxed coastal areas, fishing, and boating galore (especially the towns with major harbors: Milford, Branford, Westbrook in particular have a lot of slips). You have lots of options.

Last edited by Stylo; 09-14-2022 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-14-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
Hi everyone.

In your opinion, what is the cheapest (yet livable) coastal area to purchase a home? I'm looking for a community that is not unlike Sound Beach, Wading River or Rocky Point on Long Island, for those who know them. Just a normal, middle class, safe, coastal area where people actually still go fishing and spend time on the beach and don't have mega yachts or chips on their shoulders. A place where you can purchase a normal sized 3 bedroom house on a 1/4 plot of land and just have peace.

Thanks!
I have no idea about the places you mentioned on LI but I see that all three have a Household Income over $100,000. So everything is relative.

The most expensive towns on the eastern coastline should be Guilford, Madison and Old Saybrook.

It looks like the most expensive towns I listed have about the same incomes as your towns. Just pick whatever town you like best. Enjoy!
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/HSG651220

Old 09-14-2022, 08:03 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I have no idea about the places you mentioned on LI but I see that all three have a Household Income over $100,000. So everything is relative.

The most expensive towns on the eastern coastline should be Guilford, Madison and Old Saybrook.

It looks like the most expensive towns I listed have about the same incomes as your towns. Just pick whatever town you like best. Enjoy!
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/HSG651220
Great info CTartist but I don’t consider Old Saybrook affluent like Guilford or Madison. It has the lowest household income on the chart. I think the reason house prices and rents are so high is because it has a lot of waterfront homes that are second homes for people. It’s a beach town. Away from the beach prices get much more reasonable there. Jay

Old 09-14-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Great info CTartist but I don’t consider Old Saybrook affluent like Guilford or Madison. It has the lowest household income on the chart. I think the reason house prices and rents are so high is because it has a lot of waterfront homes that are second homes for people. It’s a beach town. Away from the beach prices get much more reasonable there. Jay
I took a "wag" at Old Saybrook. I figured it was very expensive because Katherine Hepburn lived there but you are right, it's less than some of the other towns on the coastline. They are all around the same affordable ballpark for the OP though.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045221

Here is a question. The per capita for Old Lyme is $72,875. What are those people doing for work all the way (eastward from NYC) up there to make so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut