Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 21,030 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving from the Reno area to around Hartford. I keep hearing how expensive CT is, but I am not sure if it is more expensive than Reno. I looked around for threads calling out specifics for costs of living but I mainly found the opinion "It is expensive to live in Connecticut".

Utilities in Reno are $0.117/kWhr, $1.126/therm natural gas, $2.50/gallon of water. Sales tax here is 7.725% and 87 octane is $3.00/gasoline. Is it worse in CT?

I know that there is state income tax in CT that I do not pay here in NV.

I keep seeing that there is a property tax for cars, is that in addition to a registration fee? I just paid $232 registration fee on a 3 year old $20,000 car. How would that compare in CT?

Thank you for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,140,037 times
The real difference is in real estate costs. Hartford area isn't as bad as much of Southern CT but can still be noticeably significant. What kind of place are you looking for? Which town? etc etc

That said the sales tax is incredibly lower (6.00%) and petrol in the Hartford area seems to be hanging around $2.69-3.00/gal. Electricity can get more expensive at around $0.180/kWhr (there are variable rates that you can get though, sometimes as low as $0.09/kWhr however I don't know how this works at all... look at CT Energy Info which I just found) but usage in Connecticut is near the lowest so it may depend on your personal habits. If you do come out, ask about which kind of heating the house and hot water tank have.

You do pay property taxes on your car, however it is to the mil rate of whichever town you live in so without knowing more information it'd be hard to give you a good estimate on what it would likely cost.

Best of luck though

~Cheers

Old 08-01-2010, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 12,440 times
We actually moved from Las Vegas to West Hartford 6 years ago. CT is quite a bit more expensive - income taxes, property taxes, etc, etc...but we love it. We have small kids and it is a much better environment to raise kids. Good schools so we don't need private like we would in Vegas. Water is cheaper than LV, gas is a little cheaper, but all the DMV stuff was cheaper in LV. For example, when I got my first DL in NV it was about $25, but in CT it was over $100 (can't recall exactly).

Economy in CT is bad like the rest of the country, but nothing near as bad as NV.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM

104 posts, read 386,613 times
You can also add the price of oil, gas or electric for heat in CT which you don't have or at least not as much as in NV.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,755,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineL View Post
You can also add the price of oil, gas or electric for heat in CT which you don't have or at least not as much as in NV.
IIRC, Reno usually gets a decent amount of snow. I'd have to guess that they get their share of cold weather.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM

8 posts, read 21,030 times
We don't get much in the way of snow, but it gets fairly cold here. It's so dry we have highs in the 40s and lows in the teens. I usually run the heater 4 months out of the year.

I figured out that car property tax there is the same as my "government use tax" here, and will cost me about the same. The only difference is NV depreciates the MSRP of the car for you. CT goes off of the nada.org cost, and multiplies by 70%xCounty Mill Rate.

How much do the utility rates vary? Can you lock them in?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,130,147 times
I'm not 100% sure how to answer your question about utility rates varying, but I hope this helps. I think if you use oil, you can lock in lower prices, but I'd assume you have to see if the company does that.

I have gas heat and I am on the budget plan. They take the total cost of 12 months (sorry, I can't remember if it's the 12 months prior to when you call - like for instance, if you called today if it would be July '09- July '10; or if it's just the 12 months from the prior year Jan-Dec), average it out to what it cost per month and you pay that monthly. Then at the end of they year, they adjust your monthly cost based on how much more/less you used over the year.

I'm not sure if the electric company does this.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
christine is your farm still for sale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut