Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM

87 posts, read 254,062 times

Advertisements

We are from PA and are looking for a 2 or three night stay near Rocky Neck. Somewhere we can take our two children and relax for a few days. I do not want to get into a tourist trap type stay, we thought about Jersey Shore or Wildwood and to be among a million hotels and crowded beaches does not appeal.

I would love to take the kids biking, crabbing, nice seafood dinner, playing on the beach, maybe rent a row boat.

We are looking for more of a cottage or smaller hotel/motel rental. I want to stay away from your typical Holiday Inn and would like to cook most of our meals where we stay.

The type of vacation feel would be portrayed best in a small town beach community.. I want to stay away from the commercial type spots where there is a fast food joint and convenient mart on every block.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
In East Lyme you have Rocky Neck and Niantic both are great. Old Saybrook, Westbrook, Clinton all have Summer cottage rentals and are just "seaside" relaxation places without the hustle and bustle.

Best bet is to contact a realtor and/or search online for rentals. They are out there...The place next to my inlaws in Clinton is a 3 bed house for rent weekly or monthly for instance and about a block from the ocean/beach and across the street from the salt marsh which you can explore in a canoe or whatever...just a quiet neighborhood and nice place to relax.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,738 times
In addition to Niantic, you might enjoy staying in Mystic, a couple of towns to the east. Niantic has a very small Main Street- I love it- but Mystic probably has a bit more to do in addition to the beach. Waterford might also have some rental options, and is very close to Niantic.
This is a great region for a relaxing family vacation. PM me if you want specific recommendations on where to eat, what to do.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,094 times
Mystic is the most "tourist-y" shore town in Connecticut. It's beautiful but doesn't seem to be the town you are looking to visit. I'd look for cottage rentals in Old Saybrook (stunning), East Lyme/Niantic (as mentioned above), Old Lyme, Westbrook, or Madison. All awesome shore towns, you can't go wrong in any!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut