Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:16 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,485 times

Advertisements

**I originally posted this on the New Hampshire Forum**

I am a Native New Yorker who currently lives in the midwest and would like to relocate to New England. My husband and I have no children and are very much into fine arts. We are looking for a quiet place that's more suburban than rural and far away from but still within driving distance to the cities. We want to live some place SAFE and small, near the beach (preferably the ocean) with lots of snow and mild summers. We want to own our own performing arts theater someday in a nearby city from where we would be living and would love to be able to commute to that city where residents would support the arts.
We are an interracial couple (AA and Latino) moving to NE from the midwest where it can sometimes be very bigoted. Are there any towns in CT with the qualities I listed above and where racism is not such a big problem? Please let me know. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 PM

119 posts, read 705,825 times
I don't think you'll find a lot of bigotry here in CT. There's such a big mix of people here. However, I don't personally know what it's like to live near the shore. I grew up in the center of the state. I think a lot of the bigger cities in CT have more of a diverse group of people than some of the other rural areas. I don't think you'll have an issue either way. I think what people are more prejudice against here are the people who are trashy or don't respect others or themselves. I really don't think it's a race issue. People here have money so they expect others to be like them.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 AM

Thanks for replying. It's good to know that there isnot a big issue with race either way. I did read another post by someone who said that CT natives consider any non CT native as a "foreigner" an that I may have a hard tiome making friends there. Is there any truth to this?

Old 08-12-2006, 09:13 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
No, I would describe Maine as being hard to live in if you were not native to that state, but CT??? I think you would make friends just fine.

There is a lot of buzz about Groton, CT. It is a coastal town in SouthEast CT. My SIL lived there 4 years, military wife. It has been ranked a good city to live in and to be honest I never really paid much attention to the reasons WHY everyone on MSNBC was making such a hoot about New London, Groton area. You might want to check it out.

There are few places that you are going to find outright bigotry in Mass, CT or RI. Maybe in some teeny town out in the middle of nowhere you might find someone that is really honestly intending to be nasty but this ain't the midwest LOL! If you are nice to people up here and carry yourself in a dignified, respectful manner, chances are very good that people around here will treat you in the same manner.

How close to the beach would you like to be???

Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 AM

A few minutes driving distance (10-15 mins) to the beach is just fine. Thank God, NE is not the midwest!! LOL I will check out the New London Groton area. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:39 PM

439 posts, read 721,417 times
Progressive towns in Connecticut of course are the larger cities- however Communities like Wethersfield, New Britain, West Hartford, Bloomfield, Windsor, Manchester (Hartford area) are diverse, with AA Latino, Asian and gay enclaves. New London-Groton along the southeast coast is very pleasant and diverse as well. Middletown, along the CT river at mid state has a wonderful downtown, and is where Wesleyn University is located.

People in Connecticut tend to ignore others be they of a different color or orientation- and go about their own business. Its one of the most progressive states in the country.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Cool! Maybe I need to take another look at CT then. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:49 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,329 times
I would suggest looking at the town of Old Saybrook, its a very nice looking ocean side town. Housing isn't that expensive (as long as you're buying in land) Crime is low, and its close to the cities of Middletown, new london, and New Haven

Old 08-15-2006, 12:53 PM

Really? Are the people there tolerant of other races?

Old 08-15-2006, 01:19 PM

439 posts, read 721,417 times
Old Saybrook-home of movie icon at Fenwick (born in Hartford) Katie Hepburn is tolerant- athough I feel housing costs are high. Racism in Connecticut is minimal- as is homphobia. As much as I think Old Saybrook is an attractive area-I still think New London/Groton/Mystic have more to offer, and it is less $$$-with more diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut