Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinect View Post
WHEN WE WERE A GREAT STATE!!!

REMEMBER WE HAD NO SALES TAX (I believe 1985) OR INCOME TAX (1992) AND OUR SCHOOLS WERE GREAT TOO!
Sad lived here all my life except for a stint in NY and in the army and I really want to leave.
We still are a great state...and CT was expensive, desirable and sought after as early as the 70's...could be even before then. CT will continue to command its high prices because it is a great place to live.

Every state has residents that complain how expensive it is...

So, if you really WANT to leave...why aren't you? I am sure you will make a dozen excuses why you can't...which really means you really don't WANT to leave...you just want to complain and bore us with the blah, blah, blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM

113 posts, read 325,966 times
JVIELLO is that picture a threat of violence??????

Jay CT yes I am on the Finance Board

Stratford Dude you post your address so I can get your address so I can get your name. Than go on intellius.com, google etc and get more info. Than find out your mortgage, date of birth where you work etc. It is all public info. Go for it. Don't get so omnipotent on this.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:

No you aren't...I happen to know the BOF for Madison where you claim you live. There is one man on the board and you are not him.

I wonder how he will feel when he reads this...

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
We still are a great state...and CT was expensive, desirable and sought after as early as the 70's...could be even before then. CT will continue to command its high prices because it is a great place to live.

Every state has residents that complain how expensive it is...

So, if you really WANT to leave...why aren't you? I am sure you will make a dozen excuses why you can't...which really means you really don't WANT to leave...you just want to complain and bore us with the blah, blah, blah.
The trouble with great and expensive is for an average person,me a retiree,you can't eat these benefits.Would be nice to come down to earth.Would be nice to be able to return to the state where you were born and be with family.
We have home purchased and remodled ready to move into but because of high taxes in Ct we are having second thoughts.All towns want is more money,never enough.We have van scheduled for Oct 1.
Vernon sent form for new so-called appraisal,comp for 09-2011 probably a joke, asking if we might have had sweetheart deal having bought foreclosure,this property way out of line on present appraisal.The property no different when we purchased it at $105,000 then in 2006,run down to put it mildly.The buzzards of Vernon could not have the decency to lower property appraisal back to reality.The property sold in 2005 for $109,000 and again in 2006 for $125,000 and appeal was denied,our assessment based on appraised value of $173,000.
We sit on back side of Henry Park,need I say more.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Many people have posted here that their property taxes have risen 5x,3x,2x,etc in x amount of years. Assuming this is true, why has the cost of govt risen the same amount?

If the value of all property in a town rises 2x - how does that justify a higher cost to operate a govt? Barring typical yearly inflation of 3-3.5% why are we seeing budgets rise 6% and more?

I don't understand how the govt suddenly becomes more expensive to run because property values have risen. If anything they should be "saving" the new tax revenue for
rainy days, investing it, or reducing taxes.

I also wish we could create one or more

towns in Conn for all the people who love paying taxes and never vote down a town's referendums\budgets. We can name the town "pleasantville" slogan "where everything is peachy keen"

I've read stories in the Courant where town residents are protesting in favor of higher budgets. Avon comes to mind.

Who are these people?
The unfunded federal mandates for education is the reason that local taxes have risen so dramatically. No Child Left Behind (NCLB) have driven up the cost of education at both the state and local levels adding mandated layers of high-paid "experts" that analyze data, create tests, and issue reports. Special (expensive) programs have been implemented to attempt to close achievement gaps including charter and magnet schools.

I suggest you read Diane Ravitch's book

Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Here's the link to Ravitch's book. I don't know why but my smartphone wouldn't let me scroll down to add to the last post.

The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education:Amazon:Books

Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
No you aren't...I happen to know the BOF for Madison where you claim you live. There is one man on the board and you are not him.

I wonder how he will feel when he reads this...

Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:

Stratford Dude you post your address so I can get your address so I can get your name. Than go on intellius.com, google etc and get more info. Than find out your mortgage, date of birth where you work etc. It is all public info. Go for it. Don't get so omnipotent on this.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
The trouble with great and expensive is for an average person,me a retiree,you can't eat these benefits.Would be nice to come down to earth.Would be nice to be able to return to the state where you were born and be with family.
The property sold in 2005 for $109,000 and again in 2006 for $125,000 and appeal was denied,our assessment based on appraised value of $173,000.
I have seen you post about this again and again..you are complaining about a property that you bought for $125k?? Seriously??

Really DanBev...just how much down to earth do you expect to come?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Strike 3!!!!!!!

I'm not sure about the year being 1985...

My fifth grade class went on a field trip to Mystic Seaport in 1978. Two things I'll never forget: the excruciatingly long trip (to/from Wingdale, New York) and the rubber shark that I bought for my brother: $0.93 + 8% tax = $1.00!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut