Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,931 times

Advertisements

Where in CT is the best place to live? You can give examples or reasons if you want, no idea what areas are nice and what areas are to be avoided. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 PM

25 posts, read 55,505 times
I guess it depends on what you like. Do you like being near lots of people, or do you like seclusion? Do you like arts and entertainment, or do you like nature and history? Do you want restaurants and shopping, or easy traffic? Do you like night life or do you like college areas or....? Tell us what "nice" means to you, I think you'll get accurate answers if we have more info.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Just about anywhere in Connecticut is nice. I think the Hartford area is great. It is a small city but has a lot of big city amenitites and cultural activities. The suburbs surrounding Hartford are stunning with great schools and a lot of family activities. Plus home prices are not that bad overall. Jay

Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,963,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Just about anywhere in Connecticut is nice. I think the Hartford area is great. It is a small city but has a lot of big city amenitites and cultural activities. The suburbs surrounding Hartford are stunning with great schools and a lot of family activities. Plus home prices are not that bad overall. Jay
This is true about the suburbs, but IMO Hartford itself has a loooooong way to go before it can be considered a world class city like Boston or New York. I mean, the poverty rate is 33.5%...among one of the highest in the country. Even Jackson, MS is only 26.9%. It's almost fascinating how one of the wealthiest states has one of the poorest cities in the country. Taken directly from the Hartford page:

Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2008: 33.5%
(35.4% for Black residents, 38.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 39.9% for other race residents)

Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM

429 posts, read 1,175,073 times
You've got the beach towns (Greenwich, Darien, Westport, Fairfield, Guilford, Madison, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme, East Lyme, Stonington).

You've got the Eastern Connecticut countryside towns (Hebron, Lebanon, Colchester, Tolland, Ellington).

You've got the Litchfield Hills towns (Roxbury, Washington, Litchfield, Bridgewater, Woodbury).

You've got the Connecticut River towns (Chester, Essex, Deep River, Haddam, East Haddam).

You've got the Hartford Suburb towns (Avon, Farmington, West Hartford, Simsbury, Canton, Rocky Hill, Glastonbury).

You've got the New Haven Suburb towns (Wallingford, North Haven, Woodbridge, Orange, Branford, North Branford).

It's all about what you're looking for. The towns mentioned above are some of the best!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is true about the suburbs, but IMO Hartford itself has a loooooong way to go before it can be considered a world class city like Boston or New York. I mean, the poverty rate is 33.5%...among one of the highest in the country. Even Jackson, MS is only 26.9%. It's almost fascinating how one of the wealthiest states has one of the poorest cities in the country. Taken directly from the Hartford page:

(35.4% for Black residents, 38.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 39.9% for other race residents)
Where did Jay suggest that Hartford is, or is close to being, a world class city?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,963,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Where did Jay suggest that Hartford is, or is close to being, a world class city?
He didn't. I'm simply elaborating upon his comments. Why are you constantly trying to criticize my posts in a negatively charged manner? You are not a moderator. It's like every single post I make, you're waiting around the corner to come out and criticize it.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,873,801 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
Quote:

Yep, it's the poorest place on earth. They have burning cars in the streets and you better be out by dark.

I think I'm just going to make this a memory function on my keyboard: Hartford is very small landwise, less than a mile wide and 4 miles long.

I would challenge you to get accurate statistics from any medium sized city in the nation using a similar land mass.

The metro as a whole is one of the wealthiest in the nation. Period.

Hartford was also ranked 26th in the nation for arts and culture.

I mean I don't know how you live in Vernon and point at Hartford. The per capita income in Vernon for the CDP was $17,896. About 12.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.7% of those under age 18.

The ratio of sex offenders is 596:1.

It's #13 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of unmarried partner households (population 5,000+)"

#61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in homes for abused, dependent, and neglected children"

#17 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that drank alcohol in the past 30 days"

#20 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (8-hour) air pollution readings in 2005 (ppm)"

#31 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2005 (ppm)"

Of course you realize, I'm using the dowtown area (Rockville) for the statistics only.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
Quote:
He didn't. I'm simply elaborating upon his comments. Why are you constantly trying to criticize my posts in a negatively charged manner? You are not a moderator. It's like every single post I make, you're waiting around the corner to come out and criticize it.
This bring back any memories?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut