Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM

20 posts, read 63,178 times

Advertisements

Most of my questions have threads about them already, but I couldn't get the exact information I needed from them. I'd be grateful for any further details you can provide.

1) Personal property tax: Do I have to pay this on vehicles and if so is it based on the current appriased price of the vehicle or how does this work? Are there additional registration fees or mandated exhaust checks?

2) It seems like an awfully small state. Outside of cities, is there a lot of green space (large parks and such that are open to the public)?

3) The recent shooting is pretty scary, although it happens anywhere, the racial reasoning given for the rampage is what is so downright scary. I'd hate to think I am moving to a place where I could be targeted for a crime based on my skin color. Is racial harassment common in the state? Have you or any of your friends been subjected to harassment or attacks (verbal or otherwise)?

4) For those who have lived in other areas, do you consider this a nice place to live? Is there anything I have not mentioned that I should be concerned about or checking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,831,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCoolDude2010 View Post
I'd hate to think I am moving to a place where I could be targeted for a crime based on my skin color. Is racial harassment common in the state?
If I had your attitude I would never consider living here. Why would you bother looking someplace that you think this would happen.

We do have a problem with melonheads...people get harassed by them ALL THE TIME. You can't wear blue...anyone wearing blue is harassed. Very scary...trust me...CT is not for you!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM

34,711 posts, read 56,524,406 times
The value of your car is determined by the Blue Book. If your vehilce is worth $10,000, then the tax would be 70% of that amount divided by 1000 times the mill rate of the town you live in. So if your town has a mill rate of 30, your tax would be $210.

One of the nicest parts of Connecticut is how fast you can get to countryside from any major city. Many of the outlying towns have large lot zoning and have set up funds to preserve land and farms. It helps minimize sprawl and curb over development.

It is questionable whether the recent shootings in Manchester were really racially motivated or not. There is no record of problems or any previous complaints. I realy think Connecticut is one of the most tolerant states when it comes to race, religion and sexual orientation, so I would not worry about it.

As for your last question, I really have not lived too many places outside Connecticut. I did however consider moving and did a lot of research. I generally have found that the quality of life here is wonderful and that we do have a lot of character, history and charm that other parts of the country lack. Like anywhere, it will be what you make it to be but with a little effort you can grow to love it. Jay

Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM

83 posts, read 276,630 times
Hi
CT is a GREAT place to live. Outside the cities you are basically in the countryside EVERYWHERE - and there are more state and town parks, rivers, lakes, etc that the any member of the public can access than you could ever possibly visit! Don't forget also that MA and VT as well as Cape Cod are "just up the road" with all their great rural sites and parks and beaches. There's heaps of history here so loads of historical sites..for example..Mystic Seaport.

In terms of racial tensions - CT is a VERY inclusive and welcoming state - for those of any race or nationality or preference. In fact, if you do a search on places you may be interested in moving to - it will give you all the info on types of crime in that town/city and what the %s are. You will see that most of CT has very low crime rates of any sort. Some of the cities are like any other in the US where there are incidents - but those incidents are always (like everywhere) dependent on the personal circumstances of those involved - which all of us (if we are not directly involved) only hear about through the media.

Seriously - if you are a male model or have 3 ears..someone may take notice. Other than that - you'll have a great time here.

I'm a 'transplant' too and there's no place I'd rather be.

I don't have the slightest idea on the tax issue, I'm afraid - but good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 63,178 times
Jay and Maria, Thank you for those replies. To the other person, I do not consider a mass shooting something to take lightly or joke about and if you do, then I think that is pretty sad. I have a family bud, and I have to think about their safety. I also have respect for those grieving families and would not joke about this incident, especially at this time. It's good to hear there is a lot of open space for the public, and I do admit the historical charm of that entire region is interesting to me.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,857,801 times
Just a comment about the whole racial issue...

Yes, this is an extremely tolerant state when it comes to diversity of any kind. No matter what skin color or sexual orientation you are, you will be fine in any city/town, whether it be in the rural or urban areas. However, this state is also extremely racially segregated from town to town. Basically, the minority skin color ethnicities (black and hispanic) are heavily concentrated in cities, while the direct and outlying suburbs are about 95% white, all over the entire state. The only suburb with a majority non-white population is Bloomfield (53% black). I just wanted you to be aware of this, whether it's a concern or not. But, like I said, you should be fine anywhere.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 PM

21,560 posts, read 30,993,343 times
Regarding racial tensions in CT towns...the only thing people in CT care about is that you're a good family with good morals who will treat others with the same respect they give you. If that's you (which it sounds like it is), then you'll be fine.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,848,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCoolDude2010 View Post
I have a family bud, and I have to think about their safety.
What is a family bud?

You didn't state your race, but I think Ct. is a very tolerant, welcoming state. Ct. is one of the few states to allow same-sex marriage, and I think it's because residents are generally open-minded. As for crime, if you are truly concerned about it, it's generally the cities of Hartford/New Haven/Bridgeport that have higher crime rates. Since you mentioned open space, those cities might not appeal to you anyway. The suburbs have occasional isolated incidents of serious crimes, but you will find that in any state. I think if one is looking for trouble, one is more likely to find it. If you do find a state that is 100% safe overall, please let me know.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,445,050 times
I assume you haven't been to CT before, or at least not for a good look around? I would highly suggest doing that before making any decisions. There is lots of green space outside the cities...it's a beautiful landscape once you leave the urban areas. I think it's a very tolerant place although where I grew up, Ridgefield, there was maybe one african american in my graduating class...maybe. And I don't think it's a whole lot more diverse nowadays. That being said, most people I know don't care about skin color. Where you may still find some racism is normally amongst the older crowd, outside the more urban areas, who are generally less tolerant of anyone not like them.

Just my two cents

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM

207 posts, read 451,065 times
Just to piggyback on what other people have said... My family and I just moved up to CT in March and we absolutely love it here. The parks are beautiful and there's plenty to do and see. We live in Manchester and while we have only been here a short time we haven't noticed any racial tensions or "segregation". The crime rates in CT are very low and it really is a great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut