Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,638,372 times

Advertisements

I live in North Haven. Our main strip is Washington Avenue. You'd never know it from looking at it, but directly behind that street is about the quietest suburbian neighborhood you can imagine. It's right next to the fairgrounds (you know, county fair kind of thing, agricultural fair where people get blue ribbons for their prized strawberry jam?). Both major supermarkets in town are a quick bike-ride from my house, or if I just want a quart of milk I can walk the 2 blocks to the gas station convenience store instead. There's a pool and accessories store, a wig shop, a chinese buffet, two seafood stores that sell raw lobster and shrimp and fish and whatever else, several package stores including a "supermarket-style" liquor store, a jeweler, doctors and dentists, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, D'Angelo's Subs, a Starbuck's, three Pizza joints, three Dunkin Donuts, a head shop, a tobacco store, Dairy Queen, KFC/Taco Bell, a little bookstore that's only open on weekends, a shop that sells I think Kirby vacuum cleaners or one of those high-end ones...oh and several car dealerships, and the post office, and car repair shops, a couple of used car lots, a veterinary hospital, an industrial complex, a thai joint, a sushi joint, and a produce store that's more like a specialty supermarket and features Boar's Head deli stuff and italian imports, and milled oats by the pound.

ALL within walking distance, but I can't see or hear any of it from my house. Behind our street and the street next to it, is the highway and it mostly just sounds like a faint whooshing wave of air unless a particularly noisy truck comes through. The cicadas are significantly noiser than anything on the highway.

That's the outside perspective. Within the neighborhood, to give you a better idea of where we are compared to everywhere else - I have a 1/2 acre corner lot, fenced in and wooded. When I say wooded, I mean - I can't see the yard of the people behind me in the summer, because of the trees blocking the view. In the winter, I can watch the trucks on the highway. We have three enormous maple trees in the back yard, plus around a dozen other trees of different varieties. We have vines of all sorts climbing several of the trees, turning the yard behind our fence into a verdant, impenetrable wall. We have a hawk's nest on one of the trees; and we see the red-tailed hawk that claims it come to visit every year for a few weeks. There are turkey vultures that occasionally fly the air currents over our neighborhood in search of a tasty dead rodent or rabbit. Three streets away, there was a bear sighting a few years ago, and there are deer living on the other side of the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,628,193 times
The average speed limit is as fast as the person in front of you is going.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,764,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Problem with that is, there is only one Target which is 15 miles from my home and because the roads are so windy, and the speed limit is only 25-35, it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get there!
I think i have 5 Target's that are within 15 miles of me. And that would not be considered to be a high number either. Hell, i wouldn't be surprised if there's like 50 Dunkin' Donuts and Subway's within 15 miles of me.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 PM

834 posts, read 2,269,286 times
Mystic Pizza is a real place that opened in the 70's. The movie was inspired by the pizza place.
Their pizza is pretty good. Not the best in Ct though!

Mystic Pizza: Restaurants

Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Mystic Pizza is a real place that opened in the 70's. The movie was inspired by the pizza place.
Their pizza is pretty good. Not the best in Ct though!

Mystic Pizza: Restaurants
Thanks for posting that, I was going to say the same thing. The pizzeria is right in DT Mystic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
The company is located in Shelton.

Being that we love living in suburbia, I was wondering if some of you could answer a few questions I have at this time.
Okay, how about this. Lets make it simple. You work in Shelton, want suburbia and shopping nearby. Move to Orange.

Below are some typical suburban neighborhoods in Orange. Spin around 360* and go up and down the street so you can get a feel.

ct - Google Maps

ct - Google Maps

They are both about 1000 feet, yes feet to the Boston Post road that has everything and anything you need with two major strip malls there with Trader Joe's, Bertucci's, Staples, Target etc etc. They are also within a mile or two of other major shopping centers like the Milford Post Mall.

http://www.8towns.com/milford_mall.php

The beaches are 15 minutes away, and yes we use them and water is clean.

Your commute to work will be about 15 minutes and you'll spend way less than 800K on a house.

Done.

Last edited by JViello; 08-17-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,837,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You work in Shelton, want suburbia and shopping nearby. Move to Orange.
That is true, I shop that strip at least once a week. Orange and Milford has just about any store one could want. JV, which beach is that pictured?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That is true, I shop that strip at least once a week. Orange and Milford has just about any store one could want. JV, which beach is that pictured?
Silver Sands in Milford - one of my favorite. Grew up fishing off the sandbar out to Charles Island.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,837,735 times
I wondered if it might be in Silver Sands, I've heard it's a nice beach. I want to check it out one of these days. And I just looked it up, and there is no fee.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 141,260 times
As I was reading through the thread, Orange is the town that came to my mind as well. It's definitely suburbia, with LOTS of shopping nearby on the Post Rd, lots of restaurant choices both individually owned and chains, close proximity to New Haven's city life, definitely can find a lovely home well within the $800k budget. I find Orange easy to navigate, it's not a grid but easy to learn the roads imo. Excellent schools and community center activities.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM

21,529 posts, read 30,942,079 times
I agree with the suggestion of Orange. Very suburban, nice town and close to beaches in West Haven and Milford.

Silver Sands is nice LOOKING, but the long plank leading from the parking lot is over swamp that is green, disgusting, it smells bad some days, and there's a lot of garbage in it. Personally, I won't go in any of the water west of New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut